Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2009, 12:12 PM   #1
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
South Dakota Drivers License renewal ?

Time sure flies !!
We traded in our old DDL's in 2005 for SD License (and Registrations.) They are up for renewal in 2010.
Can someone share what to expect for renewal; same as before vision test and $8.00, or do we need to take the written and driving test ?

From their website it looks as though they don't do "by mail" renewals, anybody find that there are exceptions for FT RV'ers.

B'day renewal is in April and don't really want to make that South Dakota trip in the cold of Dec through March.

Thanks,

jp

jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
bob n pam
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2121
jp - you can renew within 180 days before your birthday. Has to be in person, no vision test, no written test - just your body. The cost is $8.00 (I think). You can go to the 2nd floor of the Admin Center and they have a room just for renewals. It really gives you a chance to go "home" every five years!!

Pam
bob n pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 04:44 AM   #3
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
After making the long drive to Sioux Falls for my license renewal, we learned you don't have to go to Minnehaha County to renew. You can go to any county in the state. For Steve to renew his license, we went to Elk Point in Union County, just north of Sioux City, IA and barely into South Dakota. If this is more convenient for you, just make sure you do a little online research to make sure the county you're going to provides this service on the day you want to go ... not all the counties do license renewal every day of the week(in Union County, it can only be done on Tuesdays and Thursdays). It's a very simple and quick process once you get there ... it's getting there that seems to take forever!

Pam and Bob (Hi!!!) are correct on the fee ... at least it was still $8 in November of 2007.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 07:17 AM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We have the same problem coming up. Bill's birthday is the middle of January 2010 so we should be able to go to Sioux Falls From Minnesota sometime after Mid July. Not a problem because we are close to SD anyway, but in my case, my birthday is the end of March and I can't get mine before the beginning of October. We had hoped to leave MN in Sept. for the Rally in Goshen and then go South to Florida. I hate to think that we might have to go all the way back to South Dakota after the rally but it looks like that is what we will have to do.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:04 AM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
One of the perks of having a driver's license in Texas is that you can renew on line EXCEPT for CDL's. For those you must appear in person.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:55 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
I guess this is a good thing to know before you get all set up in SD. We didn't think about it when we began but we are lucky - ours expire in Sept. which means we can go anytime that summer. We also have to appear in person to renew my handicap plaque.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:36 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

One of the perks of having a driver's license in Texas is that you can renew on line EXCEPT for CDL's. For those you must appear in person.

Orv
Orv, that's a good point. But please don't forget you Texans also have to go get your truck and Montana inspected IN Texas every year.

I think I'd rather deal with returning for drivers license renewal once every five years. Last Fall we just made a day trip out of it from Kansas City to Elk Point, SD and back, all in one day. We spent more time in a rest area than we did in the courthouse. Actually, I enjoyed the trip. We rented a brand new (700 miles on the clock) Dodge Charger (black) from Enterprise for $35 and tax, for the day. The entire trip covered 625 miles, roundtrip.

The reason we have to go there is the eye test. We could avoid that by having an eye exam performed in KC by an optometrist (or whatever kind of doctor) and faxing the results along with a doctor statement of some kind attesting to the test. So we could avoid the trip to South Dakota but it's not really that big a deal for us to swing through there every five years.

To me, the choice of state comes down to a combination of factors including convenience. If we had kids in Texas we'd likely be Texans and would use the inspection time to visit the kids.

I also like that South Dakota has the third lowest insurance rates in the U.S.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 05:41 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jerry and Karen, come park your rig here in the KC area, then do a day trip to SD for the renewal. As noted above, we did it in a single day trip. Interstate all the way. Plus, we could visit on your other days here.

As Vicki said, it's still $8 and you can renew up to 6 months in advance. The new five years is from your birthdate, not the date you renew. Elk Point, SD is the closest (310 miles) courthouse in SD from here.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:59 AM   #9
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I hadnt thought about it so I had to look and ours exp in Feb and Jun 2010. We like to go to Rapid City 8Hr drive and stay the week end. If we go in Feb hope no snow but it sure is pretty and quiet.
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:32 AM   #10
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
You don't have to get a Texas inspection every year. Only if you go into the state.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 03:58 PM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Orv
Orv, that's a good point. But please don't forget you Texans also have to go get your truck and Montana inspected IN Texas every year.
Steve, you only have to get your vehicle inspected if you are in the state. You can be out of the state forever and never get it inspected. However, if you do go into the state you have 30 days to get it inspected. I got that info from a Texas State Trooper.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 08:18 AM   #12
Ontheroad
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #551
We're having the same problem. My SD license expires in April, Ellie's in December, and we are now in New Orleans. No way we can make two trips to SD. We've decided to change our residancy to Florida, where you can renew online.
Steve
Ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 11:34 AM   #13
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by adelmoll

We have the same problem coming up. Bill's birthday is the middle of January 2010 so we should be able to go to Sioux Falls From Minnesota sometime after Mid July. Not a problem because we are close to SD anyway, but in my case, my birthday is the end of March and I can't get mine before the beginning of October. We had hoped to leave MN in Sept. for the Rally in Goshen and then go South to Florida. I hate to think that we might have to go all the way back to South Dakota after the rally but it looks like that is what we will have to do.

Helen
Helen, Goshen to Elk Point, SD is 650 interstate miles. May I suggest you park your Big Sky in Goshen, rent a car, drive to Elk Point, renew, then drive back?
Old 03-16-2009, 11:48 AM   #14
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Thought about that Steve but why would we rent a car when we have our truck? Do you think the mpg on a car would save us that much?
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote