Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2008, 10:07 PM   #1
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Maintenance/Repairs - House vs RV

So if all goes well and I get my Monty, I'll be living in it full time in one place, rather than a house.

I'm wondering if anyone can tell me about the differences between maintenance and repairs between houses and RV's, mainly referring to the difference in cost to do so outside of any kind of service plan (basically when the service plans run out).

In a house, when you don't have the ability to save a lot of money, it just deteriorates and deteriorates because it's so darn expensive to repair anything, windows, roof, paint jobs, plumbing, etc that kind of thing. So my house is not in the best shape right now, because of the lack of funds.

If I get a brand new RV to live in instead, everything will be covered by the warranty or the service plan for the next 7 years. But I'm worried about after that, when it runs out. Is it going to cost just as much as a house to maintain and repair things? I don't see being able to buy a new RV again, so I'll have to take good care of it to make it last as long as possible, I know that much, I'm just wondering if it's really going to be that much cheaper than a house, without a service plan overall, to upkeep it.

I guess I'm wondering if I'm really going to save any money by switching to an RV to live in full-time after all, or if I should just forget about the RV and stick with the house and hope that someday I get enough money to fix it back up before it's irreparable. It just SEEMS like common sense would say, an RV would be much easier and cheaper to take care of, but I wonder if I am wrong.

Long story short, I am trying to make my lifestyle as cheap as I possibly can to live. House is paid for, so if I sell the house the RV will be paid for as well, so that payments won't be too much of an issue. I'm just wondering about the parallel costs of living full time in either one, and if I'd just be making a mistake giving up a paid for house to live in an RV for the sake to trying to make things cheaper yearly. Help!

blamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 04:41 AM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Our living expenses over the last eight years have been quite a bit less than what it cost us in our stick house. You'll have repairs to do, but if you're handy with your hands, you'll be able to keep the costs down. I'm now at an age where I farm out any repairs we need, all except for some minor things, like loose screws, etc.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:47 AM   #3
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
If I were going to buy a trailer to live in on a permanent location, I wouldn't buy an RV. I don't particularly like mobile homes, but why have an RV with slides and storage tanks when it won't be moved? Just something else to have problems with. Unless you have the RV re-plumbed, you will have to use the black water tank. Take a look at this. http://www.expohomes.net/Evergreen.asp Merely an example of what is available. Just my opinion, but much more practical, at probably around half the cost.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 03:32 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Another option you may want to consider is called a Park Model.....There are many brands and styles available and many RV parks have there models they sell. Plus a used one is extremely inexpensive. Most used are ready to move into.....If I wasn't going to tow my home I would not buy a towable.....Just my opinion.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 05:36 PM   #5
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
I guess I should have been clearer. The plan "for now" is to live in one spot, but I still wan the option of moving campgrounds and RV parks if necessary. It's cheaper and easier to move an RV than a mobile home.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:50 PM   #6
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
What exactly is the difference between a park model and an RV besides appearance?
Old 10-13-2008, 04:20 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by blamb

What exactly is the difference between a park model and an RV besides appearance?
No wheels!
Old 10-13-2008, 04:56 AM   #8
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Quote:

No wheels!
Not true - a park model still has wheels and is towable and fits on the highway without special permits (a mobile home requires permits to transport). A park model option does not have storage tanks or water pumps or portable LP, rather it has residential style toilet fixtures and is designed to connect directly to site utilities such as water, gas, and sewage. Our 30-ft Wilderness TT was available as a "park model".
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:48 AM   #9
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Thanks for the answers!

I have been looking around online at park models since this was mentioned. For some reason, none of them really appeal at all to me except for the cabin style type, and unfortunately it doesn't appear as though the cabin style type offers everything I need for my lifestyle. But even if they did, I'd still rather have the Montana based on the look and feel inside vs the park models. I know that must be strange, but when I was inside the RV I felt at home, just looking at pictures of park models doesn't even give me the same feeling looking at pis of the RV's did. I really can't explain it. But I am glad someone told me to check them out just in case they would have appealed to me! (Thanks for that!)
Old 10-13-2008, 08:23 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ols1932

Quote:

No wheels!
Not true - a park model still has wheels and is towable and fits on the highway without special permits (a mobile home requires permits to transport). A park model option does not have storage tanks or water pumps or portable LP, rather it has residential style toilet fixtures and is designed to connect directly to site utilities such as water, gas, and sewage. Our 30-ft Wilderness TT was available as a "park model".
I may be quite naive but every park model I've seen in a park has had the wheels removed and has been skirted. Their are not readily hooked on to and towed away without a lot of reassembly. That's why I made the statement "no wheels" and I stand by that.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:11 AM   #11
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
Quote:
quote:
I may be quite naive but every park model I've seen in a park has had the wheels removed and has been skirted. Their are not readily hooked on to and towed away without a lot of reassembly. That's why I made the statement "no wheels" and I stand by that.
In doing a lot of research on park models over the last day or so and seeing lots of pictures, I can verify that more often than not this is true. They aren't built to hold up to a lot of moving around apparently, so the wheels would deteriorate. Might as well take them off and put them somewhere safe, I guess. And they look VERY strange without skirts, I don't even think they are considered complete until they are skirted, in fact. And in most of the pictures of them set up, the hitches are removed. Removing hitches is frequently mentioned in "installation" FAQ's. Etc. Why wheels if no hitch? It makes sense. So I don't think you are naive, but what do I know either, lol.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:05 PM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Blamb, the other thing about park models is they can be no more that 400square feet. at that size you are not charged property tax, or one of the taxes, whereas with a mobile home you pay taxes. A park that sells them and has them on their lot can fill you in better than I can. I would consider a park model for six months and travelling in my Montana for six months, then again, my Montana is just as big as a park model. The other advantage is to build in a screen room, a nice porch and have a storage shed on lot. Some folks put a washer and dryer in the storage shed. Another option is to put the Montana on a seperate lot, Under a metal cover and build a porch and buy a storage shed. UMMM not a bad idea for the future, then I could still travel when I want.......I guess with a Montana you have more options.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:15 PM   #13
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Nobody said you were naive Orv -

My Dad's "park model" is skirted because it is connected directly to the ground utilities, and the front hitch has been removed with a flower planter in its place, but by agreement with the railroad property it sits on, the WHEELS REMAIN in place.

Sure the wheels can be removed, but that is not the difference between an RV and a park model, so stand where you need.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 01:24 PM   #14
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
We at one time looked very close at Park models, in our research we found the Park Model just wasn't for us. We seen many Park Models in the RGV, and some were very nice. But just about all of them had whats called a Calfornia Room, more space to entertain and room for the W/D and many had very nice decks. The Park Model its self only has 400 sq feet. and most we seen had the wheels removed and were skirted. With a 5th wheel with 400 sq feet seemed to have much better living space. We also have been to the Factory. If we had gotten a Park Model we would have kept our 5th wheel. I don't think they have any better insulation than our 5th wheel. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 03:30 PM   #15
blamb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8858
I really do think a regular RV is a better idea for me, especially since I really, really want the particular Montana I'm trying to get. I like having options, even though I won't be moving around a lot at first, this IS probably going to be my home and the only RV I'll have for many years to come. Who knows how life may change between now and then? I may end up being able to drive, with a truck, and decide I want to see the USA. I won't be tied down in any way, really, so I'll be able to. If not, no big deal, I'm still happy where I'm at.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

Another option is to put the Montana on a seperate lot, Under a metal cover and build a porch and buy a storage shed. UMMM not a bad idea for the future, then I could still travel when I want..
That was actually along my line of thinking as well! I was thinking that if I am able to, I can purchase a metal carport that is intended for RV's and boats, but can still be secured to the ground without ultimately being permanent. The RV park my lot is in is pretty lenient about what you put on your lot with the RV, as long as it's removable later. Some people have full out huge decks and everything. So I can just get a "carport" that is wide enough to act as a porch cover on one side as well, while also giving the RV extra protection against the elements to help it last longer and cut down on repairs that are needed, hopefully. And maybe if I find some kind soul who is able, have my own small deck/porch built.

Anyway to get back on topic, I'm hoping that if I take enough preventative measures, living in the RV really will be cheaper in general than living in a house as far as maintenance and repairs.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:09 PM   #16
fiddleddd

M.O.C. #9036
To Blamb:

Congrats on your purchase. We're also getting ready to possibly buy a 2009 Montana 3455SA, which weighs about the same as your unit. We were wondering......what vehicle did you get to pull it? That is our big dilemma now....whether to get a 1 ton or a dually. Thanks for your help!
fiddleddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 11:43 PM   #17
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Fiddledd,
Welcome to the forum. This is the best place to get information about Montana's. There are several threads on this forum regarding tow vehicles. I pull with a 1 ton duelly. I like the stability of duel wheels and the 1 ton has a higher weight rating than 3/4 ton. My opinion only. There are other opinions and you need to do what you are comfortable with. Let us know when you get your rig.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 12:33 PM   #18
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Blamb doesn't pull her unit, she had it delivered and set up at an RV resort for her full time use.

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 08:52 AM   #19
fiddleddd

M.O.C. #9036
To NCFischers,
Hi Jim and Vickie. Thanks for your reply and your welcome. Since I didn't bookmark this site, it took me awhile to figure out how to get back on here. We went to look at trucks yesterday. Our salesman coincidentally used to sell RV's and motor homes. He also recommends a duelly also, but others have said we'd be fine with a single axle. We're in a quandry over the decision. My husband wants me to actually drive a duelly. Since my husband works for GM, we're looking at a GMC Dura Max, which now is only available with a long bed. Problem is, the dealers don't have any for us to look at.....we'd have to order one. So I'm trying to 'talk' to other people. From a safety standpoint (that's my major concern), I understand it's more secure than a single axle. Have you ever pulled your RV with a less powerful truck, and can you compare the difference? Or can anyone else provide some input on this? Thanks if you can help. And yes, I have read some of the other posts on this topic. We're still undecided.
fiddleddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 10:53 AM   #20
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
fiddleddd,

My understanding of why you would need a dually would be because of the weight you're towing. Dual wheeled trucks can support more weight.

We have a one ton truck without duals, and we are fine, but you need to check the weight of your rig. Also, don't believe everything the salesman says......sure, he used to drive a dump truck too, but that doesn't mean he knows anything about dump trucks or RV's. JMHO.

The best advice is from experience. You've come to the right place.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote