Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2008, 04:27 PM   #1
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Truck Tires

My Dodge 2004 with 41000 miles had a tire failure "General Tires" last week. I had over 50% of the tread left but the tread broke loose on the left front and I felt a bump, bump, bump in the steering wheel and the truck. Stopped and saw the bump in the middle of the tread and drove slowly, less than 2 miles, to the nearest town.
Bought two new tires, Goodyear wrangler, for the front.

In checking the tire built date found that they were over eight years old. There has been several notices in the news about tires in-the-store being several years old before they are sold and to be careful.

Anyone checked their tire age?

dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:22 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Danny-- Which tires were eight year old-- the General Tires or the Goodyear? Inquiring minds want to know!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
What about the 2 rear tires? If the fronts were 8 years old how old would the rear tires be?

I have found that if you buy the major brands most popular tires the odds are you will not only get the better tires, quality wise, but also the most recent dates. That is of course if the dealer rotates his inventory which at our tire shop we always rotated the inventory. But I have seen Sear's stores, Sam's Club and Wal*Mart's with tires in the rack covered with dust because they never rotated. As the new inventory came in they were sold while the old stock collected dust. I am sure Lonnie will agree with me, if you deal with a truly reputable conscientious dealer the problem with older tires is a rarity.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 02:43 AM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Yes, I do agree with you Glenn. Major brands move through the warehouses much faster than the private label, and lower end tires do. Most reputable dealers try to keep their stock at a level just high enough to have what the customer wants, when the customer wants it. In doing this, the stock is constantly replaced, and the new tires coming in should be placed behind the current inventory to assure the older tires are sold first. With the lesser known brands, specialty stuff, and agricultural tires (trailer tires included), this is not easily accomplished. These tires are slow movers, and tend to hang around longer than anyone would like them to, but have to be in stock when they are needed. This is just one more reason it's best to buy your tires from a tire dealer that sells lots of tires, and not someplace like Joe Blow's service station, that sells a few here and there as a sideline.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:13 AM   #5
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
The Generals were 8 years old.
The Goodyears were 2008.
The Generals were orginal equipment made in Mexico.
The back four tires all are 2004 tires.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:33 AM   #6
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
I just had a set of Nitto Dura Grapplers installed, 2008 date on them. BTW I love these tires, theyve got a nice quiet highway tread but its still deep enough to be a decent tire in the winter months and the occasional off road excursion. Tread wear has been fantastic.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:01 PM   #7
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Snownyet--Where did you get those tires? I may need to put another set on since we are thinking of moving out to the farm and I think I'll need something here in Nebraska for the snow besides the ones that came on the Chevy! Of course there always the idea of heading South for the winter isn't there!!??!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 04:31 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Danny, you say your truck is a 2004. So these were the tires that came with the truck? Four years old when the truck was new? Are the truck manufacturers buying old tires for a cheaper price? Or were these tires not the originals with the truck? Just wondering since I also have a Dodge. I guess I better check the age of my tires.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:22 AM   #9
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I have a 2004 Dodge with the General tires with only 30K miles on them and I had to replace them this year. The side walls were falling apart but the tread was great. The tire shope told me it was premature aging but the tires were obviously older that the truck. At least I got a $900 Michelen hat in the deal.
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 08:29 AM   #10
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
The fronts were 8 years old while the rears were 2004, weird.
When they assembled the truck they must have had a stack of tires to choose from, old and new.
The back Generals look good but never know about how long they will hold up.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #11
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Snownyet--Where did you get those tires? I may need to put another set on since we are thinking of moving out to the farm and I think I'll need something here in Nebraska for the snow besides the ones that came on the Chevy! Of course there always the idea of heading South for the winter isn't there!!??!!
I ended up ordering online from discounttiredirect. Couldnt find a local dealer.
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote