Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2007, 06:28 PM   #1
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Chains

I am getting ready to head from WA to CA (Bay Area) via, 84 - 97 - 5. There will be some passes involved with a storm coming in...so I may need to chain up. I will be running in TV only. 4X4. I only have one set of chains. If I chain up and run in 4 wheel drive, should I chain the front tires or read tires?

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 07:03 PM   #2
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
JMO, Mike, I'd chain the rears. I'd want the most traction there. Think seriously about adding some weight in the back, though, or nothing will get you traction. Check your manual, or maybe the manual for a vehicle that's all wheel drive. I was never able to get a definitive answer from the dealership when I asked.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:43 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Mike,

Bob is right on about adding some weight. If you can put about 3 or 4 hundred pounds over the rear axle you'd really add to your traction. I don't drive in the snow but I have tried driving on the beach. Similar problem. If I'd had the extra weight in the truck I probably would not have gotten stuck.

Travel safely.

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:01 AM   #4
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Use the chains (and weight) on the rear. Drive in 2X until you get in trouble then use 4X to get going again. As soon as possible go back to 2X. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:47 AM   #5
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Mike, If you have Les Schwab there, give them a call. Not disputing what the others have said. I have asked schwab only about towing, they says to put the chains on the front, 4x and slow. In Oregon you also need chains on the 5er rear tires. Law says anything being towed with breaks needs chains as well. Check weather report for 97 in Oregon unless you are going 97 to 84 to 5, then you only need to worry about the pass between Ashland and CA, and the CA till you hit Redding, after that you will be clear.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 06:54 AM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
NEVER configure your vehicle with better traction on the front that in the rear on ice. Chains go on the back - ideally all four.

It was a hard lesson learned for the owners of front wheel drive cars that came out in the '80s when Colorado mandated studs or chains by law. Folks would stud the front and not the rear, and before they got down the street they were looking at the headlights of the guy behind them. Having better traction in the front than in the rear will cause the vehicle to swap ends in any forward momentum when the rear looses traction and the front does not. This occurs when in a turn on ice, slowing downhill, even just mild braking. You ALWAYS want the rear axles to be the traction axles so in forward momentum it forces the vehicle to remain straight forward in a stop.

Trying to stop a vehicle with chains or studs only on the front is like throwing an anchor over the bow at 60 knots - the effect is the same - hold on!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:16 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Just my opinion, but I would skip taking 97 through Oregon and take I-5 all the way instead. You will have a better chance at finding clear roads in the mountain passes.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 03:02 PM   #8
49merc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6266
I agree. Iwouldn't go 97 now. Do I84, I205 and I5. I5 in southern Oregon may have some dicey spots but they keep it well cleared and sanded(graveled).
Bob
49merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 05:44 PM   #9
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
Hmmm. The consensus seems to be to try to get some extra weight in the bed, use the chains on the rear tires and consider a route change. Thanks for the input. May each of you have a Christmas as merry as mine will be with my daughter.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 07:00 PM   #10
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
MAMalody,
I will soon be traveling down the Alacan thru Canada. I have been advised by Alaska and Canada DMV that it is recommended to chain front and back going over passes since you do not want the front to loos steering going down a pass.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 08:08 AM   #11
borfaloo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5608

Mike,

I came back over I90 this morning. It was bare and wet both ways. Tiger mountain was pretty slick but this was way before the sun came up.

If you headed out today then you will be ok for sure. If you left yesterday they you are already out of the white stuff.

Sean
borfaloo is offline   Reply With Quote