Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2007, 03:24 AM   #1
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
Pressure Pro works!

Bonnie hit something on the road coming home from work in the Silverado the other day. The Pressure Pro alarm started and she watched the tire pressure in the left rear outside tire reduce slowly to 50 then 40 then 30 then 0. She felt no change in the handling of the truck, looked at the tire and did not see anything and continued home, luckily only a short distance.

When I got home I looked at the tire. I could see nothing wrong. With the inside tire fully inflated that outside tire looked perfect. It only took a light kick to realize that it was flat. I aired up the tire, and found a leak about the middle of the valve stem. I then drove it about a half a mile to a local garage where they found the only damage was a cut on the rubber valve stem. I took the opportunity to change all of the valve stems to high pressure brass and had the tires rotated.

Here's the strange part. The valve stem was facing the inside and was fully within the rim. What ever caused the damage had to enter between the two dual tires and bounce around in the rim to cut the valve stem. There was no other damage to the tire. How could that happen?

Bottom line, without the Pressure Pro we may have not detected the flat until it was placed under load or until the next time we got fuel. Every fuel stop is a walk around tire temperature check and visual inspection.

DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:45 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have that system..will not leave home without it.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 08:25 AM   #3
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
DonandBonnie, I had the same problem, the right rear inside valve stem was leaking. I think the rubber valve stems are bad and have some bad rubber. I also changed all mine for Metal valve stems. I highly suggest everone change to metal, if your pulling a 5th wheel it will save you from setting on the side of the road waiting for road side service. I'm like richfaa I will not leave home with out the Pressure Pro system. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:12 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There are two add on systems, both concerning safety, that we have and after having them can not do without them.. The Doran tire pressure system and the rear view camera. They are huge safety features.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
The brass valve stems we bought was hardly a high priced investment. Each one cost a whopping $1.85, plus a little labor to have them installed. Rich, I agree with you, when we get the Montana, a rear camera will be installed. Even in the Silverado we have been tailgated by small vehicles that cannot be seen in the mirrors.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote