Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2007, 06:13 AM   #21
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I think when people choose a higher line like a Big Sky, they should also have an option choice for something like the LCD TV. The ViewSonic could be the standard and then have Panasonic or a Sony for an upgrade. I think most people that would choose a Big Sky would be more than willing to put out an extra couple of hundred bucks to get a better TV.
In my own case, I pulled out the 80lb Zenith dinosaur and put in a Panasonic 26" LCD. After watching HD, we did not want to watch the 19" blur up in the bedroom , so we took that out and gained a real nice storage cupboard.

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:33 AM   #22
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
We have had some of the problems discussed here also. The wallpaper border has been comeing off since we picked up our unit. During our PDI we found a bad recliner and a scratch in the coffee table. During our trip to Branson we found that the shower door was sticking at the bottom and had no seal there.
While at Branson a tech from Naylors looked at the door and the border, he stated that the door could probably be adjusted and that the supplier for the border had shipped a bunch with bad adhisive. They have since changed suppliers, per the tech, and Naylors has ordered enough to do the entire coach and it is being shipped to me as I would prefer to install it myself. As for the shower door, we stopped on the way home and as I was getting ready to get in the shower the door was stuck at the bottom, I gave it a pull on the handle and it shattered all over the place, several cuts to be covered by band-aids and a big mess to clean up.
We stopped at our dealer on the way home and they are going to order a new shower door. They are going to call when the door, recliner and table come in so we can have them all replaced at once.
In the scheme of things all pretty minor and being delt with. We are very happy with the Big Sky.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:08 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hummm. I don't know what to think folks...as more Big Sky's are being delivered the issues sound just like the "regular" Montana issues.Be that the case the Big Sky will go nowwhere. This is not a good start.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:25 AM   #24
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
William H. Collier:
Sorry to hear about the door shattering, at least your alright with only minor cuts. Our dealer put the bottom strip on the shower for us and is working fine. As far as the chairs go, I took them both out and sold them to a local rv parts store and put the one out of the stick house in. I am going to see about getting the border from Keystone. If they will call me back. Must be a holiday or something.(Jokingly)

richfaa: I'm with you on all this. Hopefully Keystone will do whatever it takes to make things right. If not, this will be the last Keystone product we will buy.

I will keep everyone on this forum posted about the way Keystone will be treating us and what they are doing to help.
traveltunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 10:41 AM   #25
pud2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4142
Traveltunes
sorry to here of all the problems but i think i would not hsve taken delivery of a unit with all those problems to start off with. Makes me wonder of the future. GOOD LUCK.
pud2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 11:16 AM   #26
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
Pud2:
We had a short period of time to do this trade. We had ordered it on March 20th, but it didn't arrive until April 20th. We were in Florida when it arrived in Missouri. We had to go back to work Little Rock until May 18th. We didn't have any other time to drive up to Missouri to get it, except for May 18th. We leave for our next job on the May 31st. We didn't have time to send it back to the factory or we would have. We needed the bigger trailer before we went to Oregon, since we had sold our stick house. Hopefully Keystone will pull up to the table and make things better for us. As far as the rest of the unit is concerned, we love it and the extra amenities really make it comfortable. These are beautiful units. We hope everyone else isn't having a lot of issues. We trust Keystone will make it right.
Old 05-26-2007, 12:30 PM   #27
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by traveltunes

Update:
Everyone else who has a new Big Sky:
Is anyone else having trouble with the wallpaper boarder coming off?? What were the small issues you had in which the dealer fixed?? You can private message us if you like.
Traveltunes, I am not sure what was repaired before we arrived but the person who did the PDI stated that he went thru the long PDI list that I had sent him.

Some of the things that I have for the dealer to repair are: edges of the wall paper trim will not stay stuck to the wall. Kitchen doors have some loose screws. Crack in mirror on front bed room closet. Polish an area on the kitchen counter, looks like it was repaired and you can still see the area. The slider on the right side looks like it is bowed down in the middle, not sure if this is a problem. Crank handle for tv antenna is not attached right. Not sure what they mean by "Water heater by-pass kit". Brochure calls for a "outside shower" all we got was a small hose. Standing inside the kitchen, the lower right hand corner of the slider, you can see the light outside. I was wondering why I was getting a draft the other night. The door to the knick-nack shelf does not close square, tight at the bottom and open 1/2" at top. The bedroom speakers are wired as the rear speakers of the surround sound system, was this the intent or is it wired wrong?

Except for the small crack in the mirror and the problem with the counter top I think all are minor items that I will get repaired. I have not used my AC unit yet but maybe I should try it out.

Wish you luck on your unit and hope all is repaired to your satisfaction.
rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 04:34 PM   #28
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
rldriver:
I requested a copy of the dealers PDI report they used when the unit arrived. They acted kinda funny when I asked for it, but I told them I wasn't signing anything until I received a copy of it. Call your dealer and see if you can get a copy of your own. Thanks for your information on your Big Sky. We wish you two many happy years to come with your new coach. We'll keep you updated.
Old 05-26-2007, 05:48 PM   #29
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Traveltunes,

Must be time to update your signature picture .
Hope everything gets fixed, We Do like looking at the 340 RLQ.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:36 PM   #30
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Our experience so far with our Big Sky matches that of most of the posters--minor problems in a rig that otherwise seems wonderful to us. We also have the peeling wall border and plan to get the replacement wall border and wait to see if we want it installed or just decide to pull off the old wall border and go without for awhile. Not a big deal. Most of the other problems have been minor water leaks that the dealer has sealed up. Our first big test will be the two week trip we start on Wednesday when we head up to Penn. for the Northeast Rally, then on to Connecticut for a week of visiting family. Hope we feel as good about our Big Sky at the end of the trip as we feel about it now.

And by the way, I'm in a very mellow mood at the moment because my younger son got married yesterday--and it was a BEAUTIFUL celebration!!!!!!
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 02:38 AM   #31
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The peeling borders have been a problem on other models, many of ours are peeling , The bathroom ,several spots in the living area. We also are now seeing a increase in cabinet door hinges pulling out of the wall board 3,in the last month, one last night. They are in "high use areas" (kitchen cabinets) that is a lot of openings and closings. Wonder if that is typical??? We are now using the toothpick repair method to see how long that holds up vs the super glue method we have been using.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:05 AM   #32
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
David and Jo-Anna
Congratulations on your family wedding. All the best to the Bride and Groom.
I still feel that most of us are still very positive about our Keystone RVs and for the small group of people that have above average problems, I hope they are able to get their problems fixed. With any product a small group of people will get hung with a lemon that gives so many problems and that can turn ownership into a very negative thing and we can start to believe that everything the manufacturer makes is junk. This perception happened to me with my 04 F350 6.0 PSD
I am starting to accept that most of these 6.0s are good. Mine was junk. I got the short straw.
In the last 33 years I have owned 10 different RVs, 5 slide in campers and 5 Fifth wheels.
7 of these units I bought new, 3 used. I am a proud Canadian but my US RVs were all better built IMO. I owned Fleetwood products, Kit products and my Montana is my first Keystone product.
It is by far the best built unit I have ever owned, no question. The RV industry is very short on quality control but in IMHO Keystone is the tallest midget.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:14 AM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The thing is I don't feel I got anywhere near a lemon.I feel I got a average Rv, any brand, and browsing this forum or any other brand forum will show similar issues on a regular bases.Having done our homework on the RV industry I agree that we purchased one of the best but we are not surprised by the issues we have had..disappointed yes..surprised no.We expected these kind of quality/workmanship issues.. we got them, we did what we had to do to have them corrected in the proper manner and we feel that after 1 year of ownership we are well on the way to having the reliable, dependable camper we would have liked to have had delivered off the line..
Old 05-27-2007, 07:39 AM   #34
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
David and Joanna, Congrats on the wedding and we hope you have a safe and exciting next couple of weeks. Please let us know how everything goes..
Old 05-27-2007, 10:56 AM   #35
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
Traveltunes,

Sorry to hear about all your problems. Have you used your washer/dryer and if you have, do you like them. Our Big Sky is coming with the same set you got. You should have gotten the delux pillowtop mattress. What do you think of it? We have a quilted foam top to put on top if we need but thought we would see what you think.

I was reading your post in the dealership section. I sure hope we have a good experience, but I can tell you that we have no communication with our salesperson. He communicated by email up until the time we ordered, only spoke with us by phone when for some reason the credit card payment did not go through. Our unit was to have been built on May 4 and as to this date have not heard one word. Do not know if it has been built, if it has arrived or whatever. However, he knew we were not planning to pick up till June, but not what I expected. I thought we would have gotten a note updating us from time to time. We are waiting to see how long it takes him to get us some information. we are planning to leave to go get it next Monday so we will have to email him sometime this week to determine if it is there.

Karen

kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 05:10 PM   #36
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
kwolff7,

We have used the whirlpool w/d almost daily since we got it, and we love it. Just make sure your level and hooked up to sewage. When we first used the w/d we had it on the very high spin setting and it shook the trailer pretty bad, but now we just use the medium setting and it works fine. They w/d has a direct drain to the sewer line not the holding tanks. The mattress is the deluxe pillow top and we went and got the memory foam topper also. The mattress is not a normal King size so you might have to trim the topper to fit. They had to make it that way because the bedroom slide comes flush with the dresser. We e-mailed Mike Spencer direct and he told us exactly when ours was coming offline. Just go to the (send us your ideas) on the Big Sky page of Keystones website. Good luck and hopefully yours will be flawless.
Old 05-29-2007, 12:20 PM   #37
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Traveltunes,
I am sorry to hear of the problems you are having. It is my hope, Keystone will step up and get the items you have mentioned corrected. Keep us updated on the situation.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:48 PM   #38
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
Update:

The other night I noticed water on the floor next to the shower, there was water leaking out of the corner by the bedroom slide out. Not a real big deal, so I fixed it with clear silicone caulk. No more leak (yet). Then I noticed the strip the dealer installed on the bottom of the shower door (the factory forgot to install ) was to high and the water is splashing out under the door onto the floor. Grrrr!

This morning I went out to get something out of the basement and guess what??
I find water all over my stuff. I pull everything out and I can't see anything dripping. I run in and ask my wife to turn on the shower and water starts pouring out of the main joint under the shower in the basement. So quickly I tell her to shut the water off. Bigger Grrrr!

I did receive a call back from Craig Crouch at Keystone and he has shipped a new door for the w/d , the component video cables, a couple of splitters and a whole new face for the fireplace. He has shipped them to Pendleton, OR to Drake RV. We’re also going to have them look at the leaky shower pipes, the piece on the bottom of shower door and hopefully new wallpaper border.

Again, We’ll keep you updated….
Old 05-29-2007, 02:55 PM   #39
judyuk
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5363
Wow, Traveltunes, sounds like the factory and your dealer were both asleep at the wheel. We're planning on ordering the 360 Big Sky next week and I sure hope we don't have the problems you're having. Thanks for keeping us updated and I hope everything gets resolved.
If Keystone is reading this.....this is not good advertising..lots of potential buyers are watching this and want to see a happy ending! Our PDI list gets longer as we speak
judyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 12:11 PM   #40
traveltunes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6877
Update:

Craig Crouch at Keystone did send my component video cables along with a splitter for the television, a new w/d door and a new fireplace front to Pendleton, OR. We arrived in Pendleton on Sun. night the 3rd. We took the Big Sky to Drake RV to have them put those items on and to fix the leaky shower. The people at Drake were very nice and willing to get things fixed right. The fireplace face Keystone sent was still missing the wood dowles which go on it, the w/d door was in worse shape than our other door and the leak in the shower drain is still leaking, after Drake tried to fix it. Drake said the w/d door had to have been put in the box that way before Keystone shipped it. The w/d door was fully packed in foam and there was no way for it to get scratched. Drake tried to fix the scratches on the door with some stain, but since it isn't real wood they didn't have any luck. So basically we wasted a whole day there for nothing. I have since fixed the leak myself with teflon tape. All I did was take the shower drain loose and put teflon tape around the threads and there is no leak as of yet. It really bothers me that Keystone would ship something like the w/d door with scratches on it all the way to Pendleton, OR for a customer. We are going to see if Keystone will ship another w/d door to Eugene, OR to a local dealer and if the door is blemish free, then I will put the door in myself. If I scratch it, then at least I can't blame anyone else for it. What is a warranty really for?? I really hope everyone else who has a Big Sky doesn't have problems like we are having. Sorry to be so negative, but if things would just get done right in the first place, my attitude would change. Jess