Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2006, 04:11 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Odd! (water problem)

It was strange, we usually use R.O. water, or bottled water while travelling, but decided to use the camp ground water to make coffee.
When I put in my International delight, plastic cup creamer, the coffee would curdle. I tried Sue's powdered creamer, it would still curdle. I then tried tempering the creamer with cool water, still curdled.
The next morning, I made coffee with distilled water...No curdle.
I guess that the hard water of the camp ground caused the 'curdling', (if that is a word.)
One of those chemical deals I will never understand.
Ozz

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 05:33 AM   #2
Sandymom
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5837
Sounds like you are right on target with the hard water. That's one of the reasons I've been researching portable softeners that don't weigh much and are easy to maintain. Been doing a lot of research and looks like the following is interesting: http://www.waterimp.co.uk/

Sorry to hear about all of the troubles you've encountered with the new rig! Hope we are luckier when we finally set out.

Mike
Sandymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 01:45 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I do too Mike, I think it's just the old lottery, some have no problems, some have many. Thanks for the link and the nice words.
Ozz
Old 09-29-2006, 01:45 PM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I do too Mike, I think it's just the old lottery, some have no problems, some have many. Thanks for the link and the nice words.
Ozz
Old 10-24-2006, 12:50 PM   #5
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Ozz, as a general rule we do not ever use campground water for anything but showers. We lug bottled water for coffee and cooking, even my dog Hannah will not drink the campground water.....but then I spoil my puppy.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:59 PM   #6
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Sandymom

Sounds like you are right on target with the hard water. That's one of the reasons I've been researching portable softeners that don't weigh much and are easy to maintain. Been doing a lot of research and looks like the following is interesting: http://www.waterimp.co.uk/

Mike
Just took a look at the waterimp [faq], it isn't a softener. It just doesn't allow a calcium buildup, at least in the area where the pipe is wrapped, the water is still hard because the calcium is still in the water.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:10 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Adelmoll uses a water softener that uses ordinary table salt. It looked like it could easily be carried in the basement storage area. You might email or PM adelmoll for info.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:32 PM   #8
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Uses Table salt, charge about once a week.

http://www.portablewatersoftener.com/

Also a softner available at CW I think, uses rock salt, but understand you only need to recharge once every 3 weeks??

We did not want to haul around rock salt, which could draw moisture into the rig, and I have never seen in small bags, so you either toss it or haul around a bunch of it (I will stand corrected, I am sure, when someone tells me otherwise! ) We only carry a couple of containers of table salt with us, can buy it anywhere, cheap.

Both will work, you pick your favorite, rock salt, table salt, 1 week recharge, 3 week recharge, both have upsides and both have downsides.

Used in addition to water filters.

And, we use bottled water to drink and distilled water for the dogs and coffee.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:39 PM   #9
Sandymom
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5837
Countryfolks,

Exactly the concept! If the literature and university studies are correct, it would at least prevent the buildup in pipes, water heater and on fixtures. We prefer true soft water, but are looking for something low maintenance (i.e., light weight and no routine charging) that we don't have to worry about when out for an extended period.

Mike
Sandymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 04:27 PM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Thanks, folks, I will be all over that!
Old 10-25-2006, 03:56 AM   #11
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Mike,

My parents used something like your link on their well. Their water was tested and it was over 135 grains of hardness. They were not very satisfied with their device that they bought. The water will still sit in the pipes when the faucet is turned off.

We use a traditional water softner on our well. We do not drink our water as it is salty tasting. We gave up on keeping an RO working and just buy water from a local water store.
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 08:59 AM   #12
Ronnelly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #794
I had the same happen, after I cleaned our Bunn Coffee Maker with vinegar. Every time we had coffee and added our half and half the coffee would curdle. Finally I figured it was the vinegar still in the water. I had cleaned it with clean water, but needed to run a lot more water thru it, to get rid of all of the traces of vinegar. So my thought is that maybe the camp ground water has some disinfectant added and that is what makes the creamer curdle. Just a thought. We have a filter on our sink faucet and that takes out stuff such a chlorine or other disinfectants.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

It was strange, we usually use R.O. water, or bottled water while travelling, but decided to use the camp ground water to make coffee.
When I put in my International delight, plastic cup creamer, the coffee would curdle. I tried Sue's powdered creamer, it would still curdle. I then tried tempering the creamer with cool water, still curdled.
The next morning, I made coffee with distilled water...No curdle.
I guess that the hard water of the camp ground caused the 'curdling', (if that is a word.)
One of those chemical deals I will never understand.
Ozz
Ronnelly is offline   Reply With Quote