Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2006, 02:45 PM   #1
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
What The Owner's Manual Says...

...about full timing. Our manual, dated 9/1/05, refers to full timing as "prolonged occupancy." There is a note at the end of several paragraphs (that talk mostly about condensation mold) that states:

"Remember, your trailer is not designed, nor intended, for permanent housing. Use of this product for long term or permanent occupancy may lead to permature deterioration of structure, interior finishes, fabrics, carpeting and drapes. Damage or deterioration due to long term occupancy may not be considered normal and may, under the conditions of the warranty, constitute misuse, abuse, or neglect and may therefore reduce the warranty protection."

Translation...if you are full timing, don't count on Keystone to honor it's warranty.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:53 PM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
There is many a full timing Montana Owner on here who has had work done under warranty and Keystone knew full well they were full timers. One of our most active members can vouch for this through their own personal experiences.

In short I wouldn't lose any sleep over this subject.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 03:09 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
And, keep it well ventilated, aka, keep a window open a notch,or one of the ceiling vents open a bit during cold weather, when you are heating, little or no condensation that way. Makes a huge difference in comfort level.

that stuff in the owners manuel is what I believe they call a CYA

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 04:20 PM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have been over this in this forum several times in the past four years. What is in the manual is Keystone's legal position on this. The vast majority of all RV's have the same thing in their manual. It's for their legal protection should someone sue them because their pipes froze or their AC didn't handle 100 degrees very well.

Keystone is very aware Vicki and I are fulltimers. We just got work done at the Keystone Service Center in July of this year. In chats with them they are well aware we are fulltimers. Not one single time has anyone at Keystone indicated that would be a problem. Our dealer is also aware.

It is correct we are aware of the potential for moisture buildup.. But we've never had a moisture problem and we don't take any heroic measures in that regard. In fact, Montanas have attic vents to vent moisture. Other similar rigs, like the Everest, do not. The potential for moisture buildup is there even when you vacation for two or three weeks.

We've seen no more wear in this coach than living the past 3 1/2 years in a stick home would show. Our Montana has held up very well.

I really believe this is a legal protection for Montana and has zero effect on the warranty. Nowhere in any warranty paperwork is it mentioned that if you spend more than x days per year in your Montana your warranty is void.

Thank you for bringing this up. I know what is in the manual worries some folks so it's nice to be able to say again it's not a problem to fulltime in a Montana. The verbiage is just a protection for Montana.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:01 PM   #5
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Steve--your rationale, and your personal experience, are reassuring. It does indeed sound like legal CYA and not a real warranty threat. And since Montana monitors this site, which has a specific forum for full timing, and assuming Montana has never posted any warning on this site about full timing, I don't even think their legal CYA is worth very much should they ever try to invoke it.

David and Jo-Anna Kikel
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 06:15 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
And David, Steve is one of many people who are full timing is their Monty. I've never doubted that is what we can do. We felt that way when we bought the Monty and after meeting several MOC full timers, believe it even more.
Happy trails...........................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:42 AM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
After a year on this forum prior to our purchase with the full intent to go FT, we had no reservations at all about this CYA. Montana has been making many changes in the past few years to upgrade (and they are still on an upward curve on this) Montana's for legitimate "Four Season Living".

As far as the moisure, we keep the A/C going on humid days and the windows shut. Even if the temp drops into the lower 70's. I am very conscious of any moisture getting inside, as per the moisure/mold precautions in the manual.

We are very happy with our new "home". And with this forum.

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 05:22 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
David, just so it's not misunderstood. Keystone does monitor this forum. That's obvious from comments they've made to several of us personally and from emails and phone calls some of us have received asking for more information about a problem or a suggestion. However, they do not post here. I've seen a couple of post from the Administrator saying here is what he was asked to post by someone from Keystone but I've only seen that once or twice. But since they monitor this I would think if they felt fulltiming should void the warranty then the warranty would, by now, say just that.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK

Old 08-16-2006, 05:43 AM   #9
FulltimeFollies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5656
Whew, after reading the first post, I thought, "Oh no, I gotta sell this sucker!". But then I remembered that we have lived fulltime for over 25 years, in every concievable maker of rvs, and never had a warranty issue with any of them. But after 6 months in our Montana, I must admit, I cannot say for sure, AS WE HAVE NO WARRANTY CLAIMS. I feel slighted sometimes that I do not get the _______of complaining , arguing, emailing, etc my fine dealer or Keystone themselves.

Do your homework, pick the correct unit and enjoy life.
FulltimeFollies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:26 AM   #10
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Fulltime Follies--for a moment there I thought you were complaining that you didn't have any warranty claims--what a thing to have to deal with. LOL!!! Glad you are having great results with your unit--I hope for the same next year.

Dave S--I'm feeling puckish today and tempted to make some teasing comment about you keeping your AC running and the windows closed even when the temps drop to the 70s--but I'll resist the urge. I just know that my DW--who loves her fresh air-- would want all the windows to be open under those circumstances--which is why I don't think I need dual pane windows. Maybe if I talk alot (otherwise knows as creating lots of hot air), it will help with the moisture intrusion!!

David and Jo-Anna Kikel
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:01 PM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
David,
The two models you are looking at have many windows. Opening them up to enjoy the fresh air wont be a problem for you, you will have all the air you could want.

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:54 PM   #12
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
As a retired attorney, I think Keystone would not win a lawsuit regarding their fulltimer disclaimer which comes to no one's attention until after the sale. If they want it to stick, they should have it in their sales brochure.

Regarding the issue of mold and moisture (have posted this elsewhere, too), we have resolved this by installing a computer "muffin" fan in place of the noise maker in the boom-boom room. It is designed to running 24/7 and is good for 50,000 hrs and is cheaper the the one it replaced. Ours runs all the time except when towing, it vents the bathroom continously and is very quiet.

MoBillTuxRex&Princess
Fulltiming since '93
'04 3575; '06 2500HD Duramax/Allison
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:18 PM   #13
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I would love to replace that noisy fan in the watercloset. Hopefully someday I will be able to get my arms back over my head. Shoulders are healing, still have a long way to go. urgh...

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:30 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We also replaced ours with a muffin fan years ago and have already purchased one for the new Montana. We only turn ours on as needed, however. If anyone buys one be sure to get one with ball bearings. They last longer and are quieter. Ours you can barely hear running if you stand real close to the water closet door. This is probably to be the first change on the new one.

Dave, maybe I'll help you out with this at the rally. The fan blade opening on ours measures 4 1/2 inches if you want to pick up a fan at Comp-USA, Best Buy, or other store with computer accessories and parts. Don't let me forget. My memory is not that good.

Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK