Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > Member News
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2006, 01:56 AM   #1
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
First Long Trip

The DW and I have survived or first long trip in our new Monty. We packed, unpacked, re-packed - you know how the story goes and finally decided that if we forgot anything - either we didn't need it or Wally World sells it. The Monty pulled great - we left Indy, set the cruise at 60 and enjoyed the ride that is till we got to Louisville Ky on I65. Man from the Airport to Elizabethtown Hill about what maybe 20 miles or more - the roads are sooooo rough we were all over the road trying to find a smooth lane. That's when we started to discussing investing in a TrailAir King Pin box. Things smoothed out for a while and even the DW drove for a spell. Then we get to Birmingham and the same thing - more rough roads - by this time the decision was made - get the TrailAir. We stayed at Birmingham South campground - sorry folks I will not stay there again. Nice sites but expensive and we listened to train whistles blowing all night. Arrived at TopSail next day and had a wonderful week there. I ran across several Montana owners there that had never heard about our wonderful website here. What gives - I think this website should be part of every dealers paperwork they give to new owners. Had a good trip back home this time we stayed at Texas T south of Nashville. Nice quite little place - reasonably priced and NO TRAIN WHISLES. It is out in the middle of no-where - in other words not a lot of eating places close buy.
Next trip - Dale Hollow lake in Tenn to the Obey River CG. Can't wait.

indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:27 AM   #2
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Sounds like a great start. Other than the roads it sounds like your Monty funtioned just fine. No major problems?

Wish we had long trips scheduled, that darned thing called work keeps getting in my way of fun. So for awhile we'll have to enjoy weekends and a week here and there.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 03:15 AM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Sounds like a great "first long trip". We too found some of the roughest roads on a freeway northeast of Birmingham. It was the only time I ever just took the next exit off the interstate to take my chances on any other road I could find.

EDIT: Yes, we decided to buy a TrailAir for the trailer and had it installed at the factory in Goshen, where we were treated with great courtesy by Dale (the owner and inventor) and his staff.

On a more pleasant experience: we spent one night at Topsail Hill State Park on our recent trip to Florida just to "check it out." It turned out to be one of the nicest parks we have ever stayed in. We certainly want to go back. It must have been great to spend a week there.

padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 04:00 AM   #4
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Quote:
quote:Other than the roads it sounds like your Monty funtioned just fine. No major problems?
Not only did we not have any major problems, I am racking my memory to recall even a minor one. Oh - I do remember one thing. I had to get the book out to determine how to program Television for cable that was at the camp ground - and the replacement flashlight that the dealer sent doesn't work. I think I am going to give up on that feature.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:48 AM   #5
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Congrats on your first no-hassel but not so Smoooooth Trip! The fact that the first trip went so well, will be a great incentive to want to go more & more. Have Fun.
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 06:31 AM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Congratulations on a successful first trip. We gave up on the flashlight also. We think ours has no juice coming into the charger and the wiring is in a spot that is almost impossible to get to. Hope you have many more fun trips.
Happy trails....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 07:45 AM   #7
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Great!! So glad things went well. Hope all the trips are equally satisfying.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:01 AM   #8
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
About the flashlight, try taking the bulb out and replacing it. I replaced mine with a bulb designed for a 6 cell Mag Lite and it works very well (and quite bright, too!).
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:31 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Great report! We pulled our Monty for about a year before we realized that we needed a TrailAir before heading north to Alaska. We consider it a wise decision.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:46 AM   #10
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Phill & Gladys
Congratulations on your 1st Trip!!
Always great to hear about good safe RVing trips.
J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 11:07 AM   #11
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Just for the record, everyone is always "dissing" the flashlight but quite honestly I love ours. I mean sure I own a flashlight, several flashlights, but it's really nice to have that one at the door when I take the dogs out to walk at night. Maybe it's just us, but we love our flashlight.

Sorry, a little off topic but........

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:12 AM   #12
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Go ahead and rub it in MAC. Of 14 thousand customers you are one of only three people that their flashlight works. It amazes me that such a small inexpensive item can be the downfall of Keystone. You know if they hadn't installed the flashlight I wouldn't care - would not be a make or break decision of buying the coach but to go ahead and put it in there - it needs to work. It is a principle thing.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:20 AM   #13
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Our flashlight still works after 1 year. Guess we are lucky. Take a look at the Isolator king pin box. Same idea as the trailair but a little less expensive. It is not a bulky. Have a great time on your travels.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:48 AM   #14
campbud
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3142
Nice to hear you had a good time...some of the roads can truly be wicked.
campbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 03:32 PM   #15
Lije Baley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3890
After a year, our flashlight still works. It's great for the middle-of-the-night dog walks. We've been wondering about a trail-air box as well. How does it compare to adding the Mor-Ryde IS system? (I'm assuming the IS would also smooth out a rough ride.)
Lije Baley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:12 AM   #16
Wifeofdano
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5664
Glad to hear y'all had a great 1st long trip! So did Dano and I on our 10 day vacation. We started discussing the TrailAir thing too as we tried to drive thru Knoxville. [:O] OMG! They are working on the roads now, but we thought it was a few years to late! I'm glad our flashlight works! All the Montana owners that we met had not heard of the MOC either. Our list of "things we forgot" wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Hope you have many more safe trips!!
Wifeofdano is offline   Reply With Quote