Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-16-2006, 12:42 PM   #1
Bear Hunter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2464
hitch woes

Thought I would pass this on to hopefully prevent others from the same problem. Today I had to move the Monty so roofers could start on the garage. I hooked up as normal except for one thing. I did not put the safty pin in place after all I was just moving the rig a short distance, bad plan. As I turned to put the Monty to bed in it's carport I had to turn left about 45 deg. The next thing I knew there was a loud crash as the Monty and the hitch parted company. I was going slow enough the Monty came to rest on the truck bed. Scratch one tail gate and left side of the box. I have (had) a 16k Husky hitch which was replace once before after the release handle broke off. I have replace the safty pin twice because it was badly bent. I now know why. When I turn hard left the king pin comes in hard contact with the release handle. Without the safty pin it pushed handle to the release postion. I am sure this is what broke the other hitch. This left turn is far from being jack knifed. I would have never thought that my hitch setup would have allowed this to happen. I hope my dealer will help with the cost of the new hitch. I will also be adding a bed saver.

Bear Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 12:51 PM   #2
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Sorry to hear about your problem, let us know what happens. Also it's a good reminder to all of us.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:42 PM   #3
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Bear Hunter,

Sorry to hear of your hitch woes and thanks for heads up on the situation. I'll be sending you an e-mail via the forum shortly.

Don
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:09 PM   #4
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
Bear Hunter,is your hitch the one that has the handle, that has the high bend, that shows over the pickup box rail?
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:33 PM   #5
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
For that very reason I removed the handle and turned it over 180 degrees so that that it points toward the truck bed. Don't know why the hitches are sent out from the factory like that. I have no problems reaching mine for release in this position. Hate to hear of the damage on the truck, know that it was one of those bad feelings when it happened.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:45 AM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
For those who have a hitch whose safety pin or latch can be locked, DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!
We (I) didn't used to lock the safety latch on our Reese hitch and had someone flip the latch up when the rig was unattended and the truck and trailer parted company as we were backing into a site.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:12 AM   #7
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Bear Hunter, the important thing is you and family are ok. I'm sorry you messed up the truck, is the trailer ok? When something like that happens, does it normally injnure the trailer at all, or is damaged mostly done to the tow vehicle? I haven't had this happen, so I don't really know.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:05 AM   #8
Bear Hunter
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2464
Old Turbo, yes the handle was turned up. This is the 2nd Husky hitch. I had the release handle broken off last year, and the dealer could not figure out how it happened. I also had the safty pin sheared off once. I now know that I was hitting the handle when I pulled out of my driveway or making a left turn at intersections. There will be some major changes before I hook up again. There does not appear to be any damage to the Monty but I will take it to the dealer as soon as I get a new hitch. Thanks everyone.
Bear Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote