Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-11-2006, 05:34 PM   #1
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
RV & Towing Insurance

We pick up our 3400RL May 19th but haven't settled the insurance issue yet. We have received several quotes on RV & Towing Insurance and I must say our heads are spinning a bit. We have gained some understanding of the collision and comprehensive coverages, restrictions and exceptions but the real detail is hidden because we cannot review the actual policy until we purchase it for some reason. Then when it comes to emercency road service things get really confusing. The Devil is in the Details. It does appear that including the Emergency Road Service with the Insurance policy is the right thing to do. We are Good Sam Club members and one of the quotes we have received is from GMAC but I'm not as comfortable with them as I am with National Interstate Insurance or RV America. Not sure exactly why yet. It may be due to the fact that the GMAC service person was not as friendly.

Could a few of you experienced RV'ers maybe cut this to the chase and give us the real bottom line of what we need and what to look out for? It appears there are a few tricks being played with ERS coverage. Had to try to pin down the details of that with each company. Comprehensive gets a little dicey when it comes to unusual events such as damage caused by leaking water pipes or something similar to that. Liabilty Insurance becomes a concern when not attached to the Towing Vehicle, etc, etc.

Sure could use some help to make this a little easier. Thanks in advance for any help and suggestions you may offer..

Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 07:06 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
There are a lot of good insurance companies out there. AON Recreational, Explorer RV, etc. We settled on Explorer RV but others have their favorites. We have $500 deductible on the TV and RV as well as Full-Timers insurance (it's like your homeowners insurance). You really need to have this. As far as ERS, both Good Sam and Camping World ERS are good. We have the Camping World ERS and have used it several times. The price is reasonable, $79/year. Good Sam is the same. It may have gone up to $89 but it's a bargain at any price.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:13 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I attached my rv to my truck insurance. Includes the truck, coach and personal effects. As far as road side service goes, I chose to go with Coach-Net. They offered the best and most coverage for me, I would check out their options to see what they offer and if it would work for you. I think I paid $495 for 7 years of coverage from them.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:36 PM   #4
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
We have made some more progress. Thanks for the input on AON Recreational. They are local to us. They apprently are agents for several comapnies and interestingly recommended the same company I was starting to get comfortable with before on my own search, National Interstate Insurance in Indiana.

Good Sam Clubs insurance through GMAC is consistently higher by about 30% for similar coverage. However, it appears that the ERS through Good Sams Club may be included at a much lower rate if not free.

Don't know why this has to be this complex.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 12:57 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Dean, go with National Interstate Insurance if you are comfortable with it and then buy the Good Sam ERS separately. We had a quote from GMAC and found them to be considerably higher. We ended up with the Mendota Insurance Company.
Be aware that your insurance cost is based on your place of residence. Our insurance when we resided in NY was cheaper than what we pay as residence of Florida.
Also be aware that Full Timers RV insurance IS NOT the same as the part time RVer who still has a stick house and homeowners insurance.

BTW---There are numerous links to RV insurance companies on the RV Related Links page at http://www.montanaowners.com/RVRelat...html#Insurance
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 04:30 PM   #6
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
We are lucky enough to have USAA as truck insurance and added the Coach to that policy. For roadside assistance we have a rider for the truck with USAA but opted for Good Sam for the times we have the coach in tow. It just seemed to me their operators might be more familiar with what to do with a fiver. So far, our experience with Good Sam is excellent. That part is about $99/year.
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote