Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2006, 01:53 PM   #1
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
MONTANA OWNERS RELAY

As posted earlier, a lady is in trouble in Mc Allen, Texas - Her husband turned sick was admitted and brain cancer was found.. She needs help getting her 5th wheel home to West Virgina. (COUNTRYGUY) Carol and Al are assisting this lady as best they can. I have suggested somehow starting a MONTANA RELAY. I also suggested that something like this be formed to assist other MONTANA OWNERS who find themselve's in a situation like this. If it is found to be a CONFIRMED CRISIS.. MONTANA OWNERS who wish to Volunteer, would tow the unit 200 to 250 in this relay to get it where ever home would be. The reason for just 200 to 250 miles would be that the volunteer who was towing this leg could still get back home the same day. I would appreiciate any members thoughts on this.. This situation could happen to anyone of us. And I think, as great as this forum and MONTANA OWNERS are... It could be done. Christa and I will be the first to volunteer 200 to 250 miles any direction from Topeka, Kansas... Lets start a list... John Hogan (aka HemlockusA)

Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:04 PM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
What a great idea, thanks for posting it. We are available here in the Santa Rosa, CA area also. We sure hope that all goes well with the West Virgina members.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 02:36 PM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
I think it is a good idea, it would take some tweaking, some thought, some planning.

I have not given this much thought so these are off the top of my head.

There could be a sign up area, maybe a special area, like we have the seperate camping clubs with their own area, anyway, those interesting in volunteering could post their interest there. I don't think you would need to post a lot of particulars, maybe let your handle and profile speak for you, no need to go into long lists of cans and cannots. (I know many dog rescue groups do something similar, but I have NO idea how they work.) It would be helpful if these volunteer messages did not disappear with age. If they disappear they will not be very useful to someone who is stressed and cannot find them in the archives.

Another point, when something desperate like this happens, the victims have trouble grasping it all, life is one huge ugly roller coaster, and making decisions has to be horribly hard. This may make it also more difficult for any volunteers involved.

This is also a good place to mention (again) emergency medical insurance. If you have a good policy, the carrier will tow your vehicle home, fly the ill person to where ever he or she needs to go, and the spouse also will be flown to where ever he or she needs to go, even if it is a different city than the ill person. Al tells me that our Good Sam policy will also take care of delivering our pets to our choice of places. After this experience, I cannot urge you enough to investigate something like this!

We talk on this forum all the time about health insurance, full timers insurance, truck insurance, rig insurance, warranty insurance, but, I don't recall us EVER discussing emergency medical insurance. Are we keeping our heads in the sand?? Gosh folks, I surely hope not! The gentlemen who got sick down here is only 62, it can happen to ANY of us at ANY time!

Anyway, a Montana Relay would need a moderator to guide us??? Yes, no?? not sure.

We must also remember there may be legal situations, what are they?? how would they be handled?

I am sure there are others out here who will have a great deal of eyeopening information on something like this, and we are all ears.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 03:03 PM   #4
CmdrDewey
Montana Master

M.O.C. #433
I think this is a good idea and I would be willing to help. This is also a good time to mention the Good Sam(aritan) Club. Members will recognize the concept of Standby Sams. I have heard more than one report of people helping in just such a situation. There is a similar group in the United States Power and Sail Squadrons

My suggestion is that there simply be a directory of those willing to help, in any capacity. For instance, I may be in Topeka and need a dentist. I could call a local MOCer and get advice. The amount of help offered would be up to the offeror.

In the given instance someone perhaps could post "I can get the rig to Victoria, can someone take it from there to Houston etc".

Just my thoughts

David
CmdrDewey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 03:03 PM   #5
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
This is a great idea for our fellow members who are in trouble. Please don't let it become complicated by legal issues. We are a family - I hope this could be handled the same way we would go and help a biological sister or brother.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 03:26 PM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Sue, I am with you in spirit, family and all, but just wanted to put that legal flag out there cause it is important to be realistic in our desires as well as emotional in our desires. This family is in a world of trouble, they are distraught. What they don't need is more trouble, and neither do any of the great people who might volunteer to help. We just need to see the entire picture, all the cards on the table. I try to see all the sides of a situation, it is a blessing and a curse. SIGH

How does Good Sam handle this, do they allow their volunteers to Rally a family home??
Old 03-19-2006, 03:36 PM   #7
Larry and Mary Coen

M.O.C. #2095
Send a message via MSN to Larry and Mary Coen
I think it would be a great idea . There are a lot of issues to be answered such as insurance issues as stated above. It would be good if it could be done but with the way rules and regulations are geting I don't know crossing state lines ect. I would be willing to be in the network if it could be worked out.
Larry and Mary Coen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 03:40 PM   #8
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
ATTENTION: Regarding the couple needing help; I am available to drive their rig the whole way if they need it. I live in Western Pennsylvania, about 1 hour north of Pittsburgh (not too far from northern WV).
I would need financial help (bus or air fare to TX, gas for the trip to WV, and whatever else I am not thinking about now) but would take care of myself for food, etc.
How soon do they need the rig moved?
Let me know if I can help, OK?
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 03:53 PM   #9
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
Lets not get the cart before the horse, first we need to establish a list of logistically located volunteers. I would think there is at least one shade tree attorney out there...
1. The crisis would have to be verified by a nearby Montana Owner Club member.
2. The unit in question has current insurance, verified.
3. Owner sign's a simple liability release form.
An then we, as volunteer's step to the plate and GETTER DONE!!!!!

It would be helpful if someone out there had semitruck DISPATCHER experience. It would be a little time consuming to ge this net work going, but a real asset to those in need.
" We can't make this to complicanted or we will end up with a "FEMA" deal, to many regulations to get THE job DONE!!!!!I am just trying to do something nice!!
Old 03-19-2006, 04:56 PM   #10
Garin1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2773
John, That is a wonderful idea and I think we should move forward with it. I know there will be some legal issues such as insurance but we are family helping family. I am indisposed at the time but after I get home I would really like to be a part of this idea.
John, people like you are one of the reasons this forum is so popular. Keep up the good work.

"But a Samaritan, as he traveled,came to where the man was,and when he saw him,took pity on him" Luke 10:33

May God bless everyone
Garin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:02 PM   #11
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
John H.
Here are suggested stagging points if this goes through.
Mission, TX
260 miles San Antonio, TX 170 MM on I 35 exit
279 miles Dallas, TX 61 MM on I 30 exit
194 miles Little Rock, AR MM 36 on I 30 exit
254 miles Memphis, TN MM 12 on I 40 exit
202 miles Jackson, TN MM 215 on I 40 exit and I 24 intersection
208 miles I40/I81, TN MM 417 on I40 and I81 intersection
267 miles Lexington, NC MM 191 on I 81 and I64 intersection
125 miles Winchester, VA
From the starting point the mileage is from the location above to the location following the mileage count. The points are suggestions based on my mapping program.
Now maybe folks in these areas could sign up to help move from point 1 to 2 etc.
Someone still needs to dispatch. (Establish contact numbers, actual drop points, drop and pickup dates, etc.)
Most important as stated legal issues and liability need to be addressed.
I did not know where in WV/VA so I picked Winchester, VA
This totals 1789 miles.
Sorry this is about all I can do from Australia.
One thing not stated was if it is just the trailer or both truck and trailer.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 10:46 PM   #12
dbrill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #359
We need to figure out where this rig needs to go in WV and if it is just the unit or unit and truck. If it is headed to the Eastern Panhandle we can take it from anywhere around Harrisonburg VA north and park it for her or if needs to go to the Northern end of the state we can take it from that same area and hand it off to someone up around Cumberland Maryland. The key is when, as we leave for rain soaked Hawaii on the 30th and don't return until the 8th of April.
dbrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:06 AM   #13
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Using John Kohl's suggested itinerary the legs I could most appropriately cover would be:

279 miles Dallas, TX 61 MM on I 30 exit
194 miles Little Rock, AR MM 36 on I 30 exit

I stand ready to do so with only the exceptions of the next two Sundays when I have obligations here.

However, I would NOT go through Dallas, but come on a more straight line to, or near to, my home here, where we could go on up I-30/I-40 to Memphis or, probably better, on I-20 toward Atlanta and on to destination from there.

Another however, this is all just hypothetical because we must await the decision of the family to see whether and when they may desire this assistance.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 01:09 AM   #14
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Note, they live in Richmond Virginia. Not sure where or why the West Virginia but, after talking to her yesterday, I believe they want to go to Richmond.

She is totally uncertain about things right now, the doctor will not release her husband for travel of ANY kind, he is too unstable.

We will be informing her of the offers here.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:25 AM   #15
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
see her response:

http://montanaadministrator.forumco....C_ID~14244.asp
Old 03-20-2006, 03:15 AM   #16
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
John Kohl - Has the right Idea, we are presently standing by to see what Gloria and the doctors have to say. I would think if the Gentleman is able to travel those folk's take their own TV and head out. The Volunteers would use their vehicles to tow the folk's 5th wheel... John Looks like you do great logistic work from great distance. Carol and Al (countryguy) are in contact with the lady in need - so it's a standby situation at this time. I sure would like everyone to keep thinking about this RELAY idea...Something like this could happen to anyone of us at any time and it would be nice if we could have something in place to GETTER DONE so to speak. I would like to see this forum start somekind of HEADING where Volunteers could place their NAME - LOCATION - AND NUMBER to obligation would only be to drive the 200 to 250 miles and be home the same day... I really think it would work.. thanks for your input John
Old 03-20-2006, 03:32 AM   #17
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
We have been working on a Helping Hands MOC site for some time. Maybe the moderators will step in here and let you know where they are with setting it up.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:52 AM   #18
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
ROY - NANCY - I was hoping some of the administrator's would pick up the ball on this one. I know I couldn't have been the first one to come up with this idea. We now have over 5500 members, surely we could set up something like this... I would think we could get a working RELAY of some sort within a six month period, and be ready should any or our membership needs it.. It's a little late after the hurricane hits so to speak, ask FEMA

Later John
Old 03-20-2006, 07:49 AM   #19
jpkelpe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2780
Paul is available to take the trailer from Texas to Virgina (or West Virginia) after April 19th if this is any help to Gloria. He will do it for the cost of the fuel to get there. He is leaving Wednesday to go to South America with his father and will be gone until April 14th. Let us know if his services can be used. (Jan is staying home, somebody has to work).
jpkelpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 08:03 AM   #20
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
We are presently in standby mode, Gloria has e mailed me and said that the doctors needs to stablize her husband before they will allow him to leave the hospital..It looks like sometime in April. Gloria is in a real STATE right now...confused etc. Her son is suppose to be traveling ingto her and also her daughter. I understand this was their first real trip since retirement, what a shock..Her son has no experience pulling a 5er and Gloria is afraid of pulling especially large cities. We will just have to stand by and see if any of us can help when the time come's - I really appreciate everyone that has stepped up to the plate. I was in hopes that some administrator's would grab this ball and run with it... Maybe I opened a pandora's box????? But I do think this RELAY thing could work THANK YOU PAUL AND JAN!!!!!
John (just trying to do the right thing)Hogan