Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2005, 11:34 AM   #1
jackw87
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3007
Block Heater On 6.0 Power strokes

I don't know how many of you with the 05 6.0s bought your trucks in what Ford calls the southern states but Ford did not install a powercord on those trucks the block heater is installed but unless you ordered the cord it will not be there and some of us sometimes have to go into the cold weather of winter just a heads up for those that may not be aware of fords way to make a few bucks the cord is not expensive but you will have to order it

jackw87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 01:46 PM   #2
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
If you ordered the heater ($35), it is located behind the grill on the passenger side. This is a plug and not an extension cord. You have to supply the cord. Hope this helps!
DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 02:20 PM   #3
jackw87
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #3007
I got my truck in Alabama and the heater was inthe block but there was no cord attachec to the heeter it had to be ordered from ford and they stated that only trucks sold in the northern states had the power cord attached that is on the 2005 models I don't know about the 2006 fords
jackw87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 03:14 PM   #4
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
We are at 3000 Ft here in Northern CA and I have never needed the block heater. My 04 F250 sits outside year around and all I ever use is the glow plugs. After it starts I let it warm up about 5 minutes and away we go. Has never been hard to start even at or below 0* F.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 04:45 PM   #5
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
This is my second diesel and I have used the heater one time just to see what kind of differance it made. It did make a big differance, as I left it plugged in all night long and it was nice and toasty within a few minutes after starting it up. But the downside is it draws a lot of juice and most of the people I talk to use them with some kind of timer so they turn on an hour or two before they have to start the truck. I have had no problems starting as low as -15 here in NW Iowa. So, why should ford equip every vehicle with something 50% of the buyers will never use. If I needed it I will go buy it. But, I have a '04 and mine came standard with a cord. I have looked and it is there. But will most likely never see daylight.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 01:45 AM   #6
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Well I do live here in the south as they say, but in the mountains of the south and during winter it can get pretty darn cold, not cool but COLD. My last Ford 2001 PSD had one and I used it all the time, new 05 does not but heater is in the block. Went to dealer last week to get one they wanted $65.00 for showed them on order form where it was only $35.00 from factory told them that's one hell of mark up. Then parts guy went on to tell me I had to have heater assembly as well, I told him he did not know what he was talking about that all of them came from factory with heater already in the block some came with out plug extensions due to specific area, guy wanted to argue with me. Ended up asking the salesman that sold it to me which is GM to get me price at cost, well guess what came back to show room with higher price than I just had gotten in parts room 20 minutes before, also came back with same story about having to have heater installed total Bill $135.00 plus labor to install. Told him to step back a minute showed him where his parts guy had just quoted me $65.00 for the cord, he was embarrassed to say the least. Took me back with him to parts department told them both I would make a bet that if I had the heater already they give me a plug for it, took them out back had him crawl under truck right side just behind wheel told him to look up on the block, guess what there's the block heater, left with new plug no cost. Steve Regiel told me where the plug recp was so i had already been up under there, but I would have thought they would have knew what they were talking about.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 02:26 AM   #7
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Don't you just love car dealerships? Way to go Broome101.

Was making a deal on a car once and had the price down about $2,500 under MSRP. Already had a better price at a different dealership. Anyway the GM gets involved and starts to tell me how close their margin was etc etc. So he looks me in the eye and says "OK the very best I can do is $200 over invoice". I say "which invoice". So he goes in the back and comes out with the MSRP and says $200 less than this price. I couldn't believe it. I started to laugh at him. I already had them $2,500 below MSRP and he jumped it back to $200 below MSRP. He followed me all the way to the curb trying to change my mind.

If you want to have some fun ask them about their flooring invoice sometime. You get the most interesting responses.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2005, 01:24 PM   #8
Montana_4391
Established Member

M.O.C. #4391
Picked up my 2005 F350 and you better believe I had a freezeplug (block) heater AND cord with it! LOL! Of course that is only the start of winterizing a truck in Alaska...in addition to the block heater, you need a battery plate/blanket, an oil pan heater, a transmission pan heater, and some folks even put in an interior heater!

*funny story - I overheard a new-to-Alaska wife talking to her husband one day about wanting to get one of those "electric cars" she saw everyone driving around! He had to explain to her that what she saw was the plug in cord for the heaters - not an "electric car"! LOL!
Montana_4391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 05:15 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We had the same conversation about a year ago when we first got our '05. We bought in Kansas and did not get the cord. Two dealers told me it doesn't have the heater. Dieselmann's website said all '05's have it. I crawled under and found the heater and the point where the cord would be plugged in. All I have to do is buy the cord. If you live in what Ford considers a state where the heater is needed then the cord comes standard with the truck. Otherwise you have to buy the cord to use the heater. The heater is on the lower right (passenger side) side of the block. It helps to turn the wheels all the way to one side (I think it was to the left.. it's been awhile) when you are trying to locate it. You probably will have to crawl underneath to find it. Here's a picture of the heater connection on mine.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote