Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2005, 03:30 PM   #1
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
2006 2500HD D/A ~ 360 HP, 650 ft lbs

I knew I saw this list of what GM did to the 2005 Duramax for 2006 to improve HP/FP. This list is on a couple web sites, because I know the following website is not where I saw this listed yesterday, although the list is word for word.

So what did the engineers do to increase the Duramax output by 50 hp and 45 lb-ft of torque while making the engine run smoother, quieter and cleaner? They changed a lot of things, such as:

-Improved block casting and machining
-Upgraded bearing materials
-Pistons designed to lower compression from 16.8:1 from 17.5:1
-Increased piston bore diameters
-Thicker connecting "I" rods
-Revised cylinder heads for the new compression settings
-Maximum injector pressure increased from 23,000 psi to 26,000 psi
-Higher pressure fuel pump
-New seven-hole fuel injectors that spray directly on improved glow plugs
-A smoother and more efficient turbocharger
-Quieter air induction system
-EGR with a larger cooler for more airflow
-New 32-bit E35 engine controller for better efficiency and lower emissions
-Added a 600-watt grid heater in the intake to reduce smoke during cold and light-load driving

This found @ http://fourwheeler.com/techarticles/...129_0509_dura/

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 03:33 PM   #2
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Forgot to add ~ I was looking at a 2005, but pricing is almost the same for 2006 and I'd hate to miss out on all these improvements for about the same price!

Plus the new 6 spd Allison trans.
Old 08-17-2005, 08:50 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
I drove the 2006 yesterday and let me tell ya, this thing is so silent running it almost makes me 2004 Duramax sound like the older Cummings motors. Inside the truck was basically the same (no real changes). They did do mirror changes and I am not sure yet what I think of those. The three things I love the most on this new truck, 1> push button shifting on gear shifter. 2> 6 speed Allison automatic, has a really short 1st gear for getting that heavy load started, and the 6th gear will run 75mph at 1,800rpms where mine is at 2,150rpms. 3> Redline is now 5,300rpms vs. mine at 3,300rpms. More power and less noise on the road. Should be an awesome truck.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:43 PM   #4
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
5,300 rpm's out of a diesel? WOW! I wwould think at that speed the engine would be screaming. I was at a tour of the international plant watching them test the old 7.3l diesel when they wound up the old 7.3 to 3k, then 4k, then 5k. I was waiting for parts to start flying then. I hope they hold up over the long term turning that high of RPM's. I'm sure they have done some homework on it and it will be ok. But, 5300rpm sure seems like it would be screaming.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 04:13 AM   #5
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
Got to agree with Fordzilla, are you sure that wasn't an 8.1 gasser?
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 01:33 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That's definitely high rpm! The redline on my 6.0 powerstroke is either 4100 or 4200. I'd have to go look for sure but I know it's one of those two. And that seems high for a diesel to me.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2005, 07:31 PM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I am almost 100% positive it was 5,300rpm's as I even made mention of it to the sales man. Just wait till you see all the improvement on this 06 Duramax. This thing is just amazing. Will try to double check that this week when I am out there again. If someone else happens to look and I am wrong please post the correct redline.

2006 Duramax 6600 Turbodiesel to Deliver Class-leading Torque in a More Powerful and Refined Package

Engine output for Chevy Silverado HD and GMC Sierra HD increased to 360 horsepower and a class-leading 650 lb-ft of torque
Significant updates result in smoother, more refined operation, as well as reduced emissions
New glow-plugs reduce start time by as much as 50 percent
PONTIAC , MICH. – Later this year, GM Powertrain will introduce a new 6.6L Duramax 6600 turbodiesel V-8 (RPO LBZ) for the 2006 model year Chevy Silverado HD and GMC Sierra HD with class-leading horsepower – 360 (268 kw) at 3200 rpm and class-leading torque, at 650 lb.-ft. (881 Nm) at 1600 rpm. In addition to the power increase in the Silverado and Sierra, all 2006 Duramax engines have been significantly revised to deliver lower emissions and significantly improved quietness and smoothness in every application.

The 2006 Silverado HD and Sierra HD with the Allison 6-speed automatic transmission will be equipped with a significantly revised 310 horsepower Duramax 6600 (LLY) through the third quarter of 2005. It will be replaced in these applications in the fourth quarter of 2005, by the higher output, 360-horsepower Duramax (LBZ).

“The introduction of the Duramax diesel in 2001 represented a significant evolution in North American diesel pick-up truck market and propelled GM’s heavy duty diesel pick-up truck market share to over 25 percentage points,” said Charles Freese, GM Powertrain executive director, diesel engineering. “The introduction of the improved, 2006 Duramax turbo diesel once again sets a new benchmark to which all others will be measured.”

The Duramax 6600’s horsepower and torque increase and emissions reduction are enabled by a strengthened iron cylinder block and a lower compression ratio. The lower compression reduces stress on the engine by reducing the peak cylinder firing pressure. This, in turn, allows more fuel to be burned – more fuel means more power – while the lower compression helps reduce NOx emissions. Lower compression also helps reduce noise and vibration, making the all variants of the 6600 a quieter and smoother engine.

A revised variable-geometry turbocharger also enhances the driving experience of the Duramax 6600. Aerodynamic changes to the turbo’s vanes help tailor controlled application of turbo power for seamless and immediate response at full throttle. The turbo, which spins at up to 120,000 rpm, is high-speed-balanced, reducing vibration and resonance – and contributing to the engine’s overall smoothness and refinement. The revised turbo also helps reduce emissions, while maximum boost remains at 20 psi.

Another new feature of the Duramax 6600’s turbo system is the capability of the variable-geometry turbocharger to provide exhaust braking. This function is available on some medium-duty truck models and can replace add-on exhaust brake hardware. With the new system, braking is controlled by a signal from the engine controller and can be activated by the driver.

The comprehensive list of changes and upgrades to the 2006 Duramax 6600 includes:

Cylinder block casting and machining changes strengthen the bottom of the cylinder bores to support increased horsepower and torque
Upgraded main bearing material increases durability
Revised piston design helps lower compression ratio to 16.8:1 from 17.5:1
Piston pin bore diameter increased for increased strength
Connecting rod “ I ” section is thicker for increased strength
Cylinder heads revised to accommodate lower compression and reduced cylinder firing pressure
Maximum injection pressure increased from 23,000 psi to more than 26,000 psi
Fuel delivered via higher-pressure pump, fuel rails, distribution lines and all-new, seven-hole fuel injectors
Fuel injectors spray directly onto glow plugs, providing faster, better-quality starts and more complete cold-start combustion for reduced emissions
Improved glow plugs heat up faster through an independent controller
Revised variable-geometry turbocharger is aerodynamically more efficient to help deliver smooth and immediate response and lower emissions
Air induction system re-tuned to enhance quietness
EGR has larger cooler to bring more exhaust into the system
First application of new, 32-bit E35 controller, which adjusts and compensates for the fuel flow to bolster efficiency and reduce emissions
The Duramax 6600 also has a new intake air heater to reduce smoke and emissions during cold or light-load driving. The system features a 1000-watt grid heater located in the air intake duct, which is triggered automatically by the engine controller. It heats up the incoming air to speed warm-up of the engine.

In addition to 50 more horsepower and 45 more lb-ft of torque in the Silverado and Sierra, changes to the 2006 Duramax 6600 build on a host of improvements introduced for ’05 – improvements that bolstered an already strong foundation. The Duramax 6600 features a rigid cast iron cylinder block with induction-hardened cylinder bores; four-bolt, cross-drilled main bearing caps; forged steel, nitride-hardened crankshaft; aluminum pistons with jet-spray oil cooling; aluminum cylinder heads with four valves per cylinder; integrated oil cooler and a charge-cooled turbocharging system. Features, such as easy-access fuel filter and timing gears, reduce maintenance time and effort.

A new, 32-bit E35 engine controller monitors and adjusts the engine’s operation. Designed exclusively for the Duramax diesel engine, the controller helps the injectors precisely meter fuel to the cylinders and can compensate for the variability of the injectors and fuel flow. This sophisticated, more powerful controller also can support up to five injections per cylinder and eliminates the need for an engine-mounted drive unit to fire the fuel injectors.

The new Duramax 6600 in the Silverado and Sierra heavy-duty pick-ups will be available exclusively with the new Allison 1000 6-speed automatic transmission, featuring class-first features, like tap-shift range selection mode.

In addition to the Chevy Silverado HD and GMC Sierra HD, the Duramax 6600 (LLY) is also available at varying power outputs in the Hummer H1 Alpha, Chevy Kodiak and GMC Topkick. For 2006, the Duramax is available for the first time in GM’s full-size vans, Chevy Express and GMC Savana, providing power and capabilities matched with quietness and smoothness not found in competitors’ diesel-equipped vans.

The Duramax 6600 was introduced in 2001 and was developed in a partnership with GM Powertrain and Isuzu Motors. Since its introduction, more than 650,000 6.6L Duramax diesels have been built and sold.

The Duramax 6600 is assembled at the DMAX facility in Moraine, Ohio , a joint venture between General Motors and Isuzu created specifically to produce diesel engines.

# # #

2006 Duramax 6600 Specifications (LLY, LBZ) Assembly site:
Moraine, Ohio

Applications:
Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra 2500HD, 3500 pickups; Hummer H1, Chevy Express and GMC Savana full-size vans; Chevy and GMC medium-duty trucks

Type:
90º V-8 charge-cooled turbodiesel

Displacement (cu in/ cc):
403 / 6599

Bore x stroke (in x mm):
4.06 x 3.9 / 103 x 99

Block material:
cast iron with induction-hardened cylinder liners

Cylinder head material:
cast aluminum

Intake manifold:
cast aluminum

Exhaust manifolds:
cast nodular iron with steel pipe extension

Compression ratio:
16.8:1

Valve configuration:
overhead valve, four valves per cylinder

Valve lifters:
Mechanical roller

Firing order:
1 – 2 – 7 – 8 – 4 – 5 – 6 – 3

Fuel system:
direct injection diesel with high-pressure common rail

Horsepower (hp / kw):
360 / 268 @ 3200 rpm (2500 HD and 3500 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra) (LBZ) (Automatic transmission only) (Available beginning 4 th quarter 2005)
Old 08-21-2005, 07:43 PM   #8
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Dave, might want to check with Parrothead. Looks like they just got a 2006 3500 Dura/Alsn (see their signature). I'm curious, too.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:50 PM   #9
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
You are right, we did and it is awesome. Very quiet and it does have new braking capabilities. But it isn't all in the Duramax. The new 6 speed Allison has all kinds of great improvements. Go to the Allison web site and check it out. We are still learning and will post more after we tow. We still need to get the hitch and brake controller. And most important the running boards so I can get in so we can go, go, go.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2005, 03:07 AM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I have to be careful... I may end up paying a few dollars more than I am budgeting out just to get one of these. This sounds like an incredible machine! Comes out of the factory with new 32 bit chip and exhaust braking. How about the EGT gauge? That would be perfect.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:27 AM   #11
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dave,
One can only hope that someday they will provide the EGT gauge for all three diesel trucks out there. If you cannot tell I have Chevy gold running through my blood, I am just in love with the Duramax and Allison tranny. I have heard they are going to do a major face lift on the entire Silverado for 07, as impressive as this 06 is, I think I am going to wait one more year and take a look at what is yet to come.
Old 08-22-2005, 12:04 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I heard that about the 07s also. But I can't wait, unless I can figure out a way to pull my Montana with my wife's 2000 Blazer for one year!

Now that will get some of the technical people thinking. With the right modifications, air bags, cutting torch, extra springs...
Old 08-22-2005, 02:42 PM   #13
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Montana Sky
Where did you get all the info you posted? Ed says it looks like ours redlines at about 4900. Maybe we aren't reading it right. That is where the red starts. We still do not understand the EGT thing and are not sure we need it with this new Duramax.
Happy Trails...................
Old 08-22-2005, 02:55 PM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I'll be watching... I'm very interested in the answers, too. I went right by a dealership today. Could have wheeled in and asked. Guess I'm too preoccupied. I told my boss I was applying for early retirement (did not volunteer my Monty plans) and just found out today from my union rep that he is going to try to fire me instead. Trying to figure out what I did to this guy. Did I run over his dog or something?!?

I cannot WAIT to join you guys on the road to freedom. This work thing is a pain! Didn't use to be. Teaching can be very rewarding (not monetarily).
Old 08-22-2005, 03:34 PM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Parrothead,
I have my computer constantly searching for info on the 2006 Duramax and Silverado, I found that in one of GM's online employee news letters. I am not sure how to explain the EGT, I think Steve posted some answers to that on page 2 or 3 of another post. The main thing that I know about it is it tells you how hot the air is coming into your turbo(pre turbo mounted) or how hot it is coming out of your turbo (post turbo mounted). From what I have learned from other folks who have the EGT and Turbo Boost gauge if you get your temp over 1300 degrees on your turbo you the chance of melting "burning" up the turbo. If anyone has a better example or knows more, please chime in. All the folks I talked with had the EGT gauge and they tow alot more than I, so I figured if they had it, I should probably have it to. Mine redlines at 1,250 degrees anything hotter than that is too hot and could cause over heating. I am also envy of your new truck, I love the look of the dually and of course having the latest and greatest Duramax, oh what a feeling!

Dave,
Sorry to hear you are having some trouble with your boss. Sounds to me like he is just unhappy in his life and upset he cannot join you in retirement.
Old 08-22-2005, 04:28 PM   #16
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Montana Sky
From all we have heard and read, the really great thing about this truck is the changes to the Allison. We are still learning. Thanks for the info.
Happy trails.................
Old 08-22-2005, 08:22 PM   #17
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Parrothead,
As you start to tow with your new truck, please post what you think... I am really interested to see what you think of the new 6 speed allison.
Old 08-22-2005, 08:36 PM   #18
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Montana Sky
We have our appointment for installation of the hitch and brake controller on Sept. 7. Bed liner this week. Running Boards next Tuesday and then the tool box. We are getting a steel Weather Guard - really neat tool boxes. So we are going to go to the Rally in Reno. This will include some mountain driving so should be a good test. We will be sure and post how we like the new setup. I found a GM news release with the same info you had found.
Happy trails...................
Old 08-23-2005, 01:17 AM   #19
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Ed, are you putting an extra fuel tank on your 3500? Why or why not? What's OEM capacity? Might be different from the 2500, though, which I am getting.
Old 08-23-2005, 06:21 AM   #20
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
No we are not putting extra fuel tank in. That is one reason Ed wanted the long bed because it has a bigger fuel tank. We don't plan on traveling more than a tank per day. We rarely go over 300 miles per day and prefer 200-250. The fuel tank is 34 or 35 (we seem to be getting different numbers) and since this setup is suppose to gives us better mpg then we should be A-OK. When we go to Alaska, we'll take Judy's advice and get fuel when we see a station whether we need it or not. We just won't go to the same one they did!
Happy trails................