Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-21-2005, 04:57 AM   #1
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
Shocks revisited

I took some pictures of the shocks I installed, finally, we have been working 6-7 days a week in the plant. I had to install the Dexter shocks on the inside of the tires because there was no room on the outside. I checked with my friend who has a Monty and his are alot smaller, that is why his are installed on the outside. I took pictures of my shackle plates and as you can see there is no wear here. Steve R. these look like the same ones you had on your Monty. Also the screws that hold up the under belly, not a very good picture but you get the idea. This fall before I put her away for the winter I will Tremclad the whole under frame and axle etc.. and of course grease the shackle bolts again but if I get time I`d like to change the bolts with the zerk nipple. Seems all my free weekends are in the Mountaineer camping somewhere, which doesn`t bother me at all!!

mgdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 05:00 AM   #2
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
Where are the photos?
I went to the link but it wants a password.
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 05:02 AM   #3
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
When I click on the link it works, try again. I wonder what I did wrong??
Old 06-21-2005, 06:37 AM   #4
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
Can anyone tell me if the link is working now??
Old 06-21-2005, 06:59 AM   #5
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
THe link is working and man the shocks look cool. Have you had it out on the road with the shocks installed? If so, can you tell any difference? How about some who, what and where infomration. I would like to put a set on my TT.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 07:34 AM   #6
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
Jeff thanks for letting me know about the link. I took it on the highway(Hwy 401 in Canada) and they just happened to be doing some repair work for about 20 miles. This gave it a good shakedown. I put a small tupperware cup filled with water into the kitchen sink drain and went about 60 miles total. When I got home the water was still to the top of the cup. I noticed it didn`t have that up and down whipping that lasts a bit after going over all the bumps in the road. I noticed its alot more stable when walking around inside when its in the driveway. I ordered the kit from Dexter and it arrived in about 4-5 days($132.00 u.s. shocks included) The dealer wanted $763.00 can. installed!!?? A friend came over with his stick welder and for a case of beer it was welded to the frame. I bought some 3" C channel at the local metal warehouse(4 pieces 4" long x 3" wide $7.00 can.}and the Dexter brackets were welded at a 60 deg. angle onto the C channel. After they cooled down he welded them to the frame. The directions are very simple to follow that dexter sends you. It took us a total of about 3 hrs to install. I didn`t have to take the tires off as everything was done underneath after I dropped 2 panels of the underbelly. I supported the u-bolts with 2.5 ton jack and a piece of 3/4" plywood and just brought the jack up just enough to make it snug, then took off the plates, one at a time and put the Dexter plates on. Tighten to 45-60lbs torque. I did that before he arrived with the welder so he wouldn`t be here all day. The real test will be this weekend as we`ll put on about 300+ miles on her.
Old 06-21-2005, 09:31 AM   #7
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
I don't know why but I tried the link again this time and bam there are the pictures. The first time it wanted a password. Go figure.
I would like to know how the longer trip goes.
I am thinking that perhaps shocks and my new Timbrens might create a really comfortable towing rig.
Sorry for the confusion.
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 09:34 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The link worked for me. Mark, what is Tremclad?

Good pictures. Yes, those are the same shackles they put on ours. The same "11" is stamped on them. Anyone know what the '11' means? Is this something to do with being hardened?

The shocks look about the same size as the OEM on ours but it's hard to tell from a picture. Ours are on a much more severe angle, though, and I always wondered if that angle affects their effectiveness.

Thanks for posting these, Mark.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 10:22 AM   #9
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Steve: Tremclad is a rust paint.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 05:10 PM   #10
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
Steve I noticed that on My Friends 2980, his shocks were on a severe angle too. I wonder why they install them like that?? On the Dexter instructions they say you can install them anywhere from 50-60 deg. Tremclad is a rust paint, I swear by it, it works that good. It comes in many colours, you can paint right over the rust!!
Old 06-27-2005, 11:40 PM   #11
mgdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3481
The trip was uneventful, the shocks did their job. It was worth the work to do it. I-75 North of Detroit was no problem, even the back roads to the campground with all the potholes and loose gravel. I`m very satisfied with the results. I think I`m going to install a Travelair hitch pin at the end of the summer, this baby will run as smooth as Ex-Lax when I`m done with her hahaha. So far so good 4th trip in a row now without something going wrong with the unit.
Old 06-29-2005, 02:50 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mgdg

Steve I noticed that on My Friends 2980, his shocks were on a severe angle too. I wonder why they install them like that?? On the Dexter instructions they say you can install them anywhere from 50-60 deg. Tremclad is a rust paint, I swear by it, it works that good. It comes in many colours, you can paint right over the rust!!
That's a pretty steep angle from vertical. I think ours would fall right around that range. I know they're steeper than 45 degrees. I think. I guess I need another trip out in the heat and humidity to crawl under and look. Nah, not tonight.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote