Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2005, 02:29 AM   #1
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Campground Reservations?

We've been traveling New England since late August this year and have not had to have advance reservations in any campgrounds.

We're planning an extended trip out west starting next spring and were wondering how much in advance, if any, we need to reserve campgound space. We'll probably start in Arizona in the early spring and move northward as the weather moderates. Would appreciate feed back.

virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:18 AM   #2
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Depends on where you are headed, but if you are including the Oregon coast in your travels you better start now by going to the state parks reservation system and make those reservations. They allow you to make reservations 9 months to the day in advance. I usually mark my calendar 9 months in advance of the long weekends. Even our inland state park here in southern Oregon on the way to Crater Lake has started taking reservations. Last year there was hardly a weekend where the park was not full. I don't know about the private parks, but I note the ones near the freeway all seem to be full on a regular basis.

http://egov.oregon.gov/OPRD/index.shtml
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:23 AM   #3
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We have been traveling for a long time now and the only time we make advance reservations is if we are going to have our mail forwarded there. Otherwise we take a chance. Sometimes we have to go on down the road a little bit but always have found a place to stay. We do try to park by Thursday and stay the weekend though or at least stop by 2:00 if things look real busy.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 03:31 AM   #4
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Toolmanroy, are State Parks the best way to go? I thought they were one of the more expensive ways to camp. I'm researching camping cost, also for when DW & I start FT next May, so this subject of reservations is high on my list of interest areas.
Dave
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 04:23 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Just my opinion, State Parks might be more expensive if you're staying for a long time as most don't give the price break for monthly rates. When we were in Oregon, along the coast, you could get a site if you stopped early in the day during the week.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 05:18 AM   #6
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Yes, you can get sites early in the day during the week, but if you are staying weekends you really need reservations. There are a few parks along the coast that are first come, first served and do not take reservations. I don't think state parks are expensive. The highest one I remember on the coast is $22 per night for full hookup and sometimes including cable TV. In off season before May and after October 1st they have reduced prices, some as low as $12 per night. Valley of the Rogue right off I-5 in southern Oregon is $16 off season for full hookup. You get bigger sites and much more of a camping experience in a state park than you will in a private park most of the time. There are also many beautiful county parks in Oregon offering full hookups and similar pricing.

If your travels include southern Oregon in the Medford-Ashland-Jacksonville area, please be sure to e-mail us in advance and we would be happy to help you find a good place here that suits your needs. That offer goes for anyone traveling in this area.
Old 10-21-2005, 05:29 AM   #7
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
The State Parks in Oregon are very special. They often offer full hookups. This is not the case in other states, especially where the weather is harse and cold. Be sure to check carefully to see what is offered. I've made reservations, taking for granted that full hookups were available at all sites, only to find out one time that we didn't even have electricity! I agree with Toolmanroy that the state and national parks are in my favorite type of setting.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:31 AM   #8
thook
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3100
Any recommendations for rv parks around the Newport, Or area next summer?
thook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 10:25 AM   #9
Bob Pasternak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #800
Send a message via ICQ to Bob Pasternak
Virgil47: We seldom make reservations. We're rarely sure of where we're going to be. We do have reservations in Ft. Myers, FL for Jan. & Feb. and Siskiyou in May, but mostly we catch them as we can. We generally don't use interstates. We don't get on the road much before 8:30 or 9 AM and about 2:00 or 2:30 Jeanne will look at a Wheeler's or Passport book and see what's in the area and call on the cell. Generally works pretty good. Most of our travels are kind of a "throw a dart at the map" type thing so we aren't sure of where we're going.
Bob Pasternak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 11:45 AM   #10
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
Beverly Beach State Park just a mile north of Newport has sites near the beach. If you go on Oregon State Parks website (see my previous note) they have maps and size of sites listed. If you go to the reservation site and fill in the dates you want you will see what sites are available. I have never been to the other state park in Newport, but we have reservations there over the July 4th weekend. It is called South Beach. It has only electric and water, no sewer, but we will only be there for 4 days. If you want to go further north Devils Lake in Lincoln City is nice. I cannot tell you anything about the private parks, as when I am at the coast I only stay at the state parks with the exception of Coos Bay (we like Oceanside RV Park).

With our limited time we prefer having reservations, knowing we can get there late if we want to stop somewhere along the way or we get delayed. When we do retire we will probably do what the others do and take our chances sometimes.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:45 AM   #11
Montana_4765
Established Member

M.O.C. #4765
thook
Beverly Beach State park,, Loop B B 18 B20 OR B22
Pro:Right on the beach. You will be impressed.
Con: Under the trees, not much direct sunlight
Montana_4765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 11:52 AM   #12
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
I tried to get in that section of Beverly Beach for July 4th weekend. I went on the reservations site October 1st and it was already booked! The earliest day to make reservations for that weekend was Sept 30th, so I missed by 24 hours. It is a popular section. We opted to try South Beach instead.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:02 PM   #13
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
thook,
There is a marina at Newport. It is on the east side of the bridge. Located right on the river/inlet. It is just a parking lot type park; But it has full hookups. Can't tell you what it would be like in summer time since we were there in early October. But the park was basically empty when we were there. It has the most gorgeous sunsets! Of course you can say that about any place along the OR coast.

It is close to town and a very nice aquarium is located just behind the park. We'd stay there again. We did not stay at the park toolmanroy is talking about south of town but we did drive thru it. It is a nice park. Lots of open space with grass and shrubs.

The park north of town is also very nice. It is very different than the one south of town. It is much more "enclosed". That is it has a lot of trees. Many places it is completely covered. The spaces are generally well spaced and you have a lot of privacy. We saw several Montanas in the park when we drove thru. There are some beach sites that are not covered by trees. It was very full even in October. One of the few parks that was full.

We had no trouble getting in any OR state park and we did not make reservations for any park.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote