Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2005, 05:05 PM   #1
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Surge protector did it's job!

Had BAD storms in the Minneapolis area last night, I think they said there were 9 tornados around the state last evening. When it really got ripping here in Dakota County I unplugged the cell phone, and the computer. Al turned of the Air conditioner and the TV. He was getting ready to turn off the electric at the converter when BAM, out went the power. We just sat tight and prayed that the predicited hail would not come our way, we are happy to report, it did not!

AFTER the rain, we looked out to see that the office and street lights were on, hmmmmmm, maybe we lost the power at the pole?? Al went out and started checking, found that the surge protector we have between the park pole and our power cord (to the trailer) had popped! We have no idea why, maybe there was a power bump?? We had just heard that a few areas had lost power, not sure where these power outages were, not sure they were the cause, just don't know.

What we do know is that our surge protector at the pole did what it was supposed to. WHEW!!

We would encourage you to add a surge protector if you don't already have one. Sure is easier to go reset that baby over replacing electronic equipment.

Just thought we would share that with MOC members!

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 05:22 PM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
So glad that things worked out well for you guys. Glen always connects to our surge protector. We may never have a problem but like to have it in use just in case.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:04 AM   #3
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846
Glad the supressor worked for you. Sounds like a great idea. Would you tell us what you are using as a surge supressor, where you got it and how much it was?
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 01:31 AM   #4
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
That's why we bought our autoformer. It is supposed to work the same way. Hope it never happens though. You must have been really having withdrawal pains Carol when you had to shut the computer down.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 04:19 AM   #5
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Glad to hear the surge protector did its job. They are sure cheaper then all the electronics in the trailer aren't they?
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 04:24 PM   #6
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Bill and Ann,

I was so tired from the research this week, that it really did not matter that I had to turn off the computer! HAHA, but you are right, it does not take long for the puter dt's to set in! HAHA

Al has 2 surge protectors, PLUS the one built into the autoformer. The one that popped the other night was one that is about 18 inches long, and goes between your cord and the camp power pole. I believe he got it at CW??

He has a whole house surge protector permanently installed before the autoformer. And, here is my disclaimer, in case I have it wrong, please visit the web page, and look for Al's electrcial improvements, he discusses the autoformer and the whole house surge protector there. He was the electrician, and even tho I have a little understanding, it is better to read his article. The web page has photos too! It is his feeling that the autoformer's surge protector is OK, but he does not want to find out. Plus, since he installed the autoformer IN the Montana, he does not want to have to take the entire thing apart to send back a bad unit to Hughes. So, the whole house protector and the one between the pole and the power cord are to protect the autoformer AND the electronics in the rig.

If I have messed up the response here, Al will let me know, and I will come back and edit it!

Carol
Old 07-02-2005, 04:23 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
That's why I advocate using a surge protector. I presently have a 30 amp surge protector that I'm going to sell as soon as I get a 50 amp protector. Can't be too careful.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 05:35 AM   #8
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Hey gang, Al further explained to me this AM that one of the other reasons he has the surge protectors BEFORE the autoformer is that the surge protector in the autoformer has no indicator to tell you if it is still functioning. The whole house surge protector and the surge protector between the pole and the electric cord BOTH have indicator lights that tell you they are still functioning as expected. IF, one of them fails, then there is a light or lack of lights that will tell him there is a problem, and then he can replace one of those surge protectors and still not have to fuss with taking that autoformer out of its permanent installation. Just thought I would pass that tidbit on as well. I was not aware of that! I am sure he explained it to me before, but, well, I forgot!

Carol
Old 07-03-2005, 10:45 AM   #9
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
CountryGuy (or is it really CountryGal?)- thanks for the info

hey, Bill and Ann - how can it be an hour later in CA than TX ?? (your weather bars)
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 03:21 PM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
VanMan

Mrs. Countryguy. The handle/member name of Countrygal is still open! HAHA It has been suggested a couple of times that I adopt that moniker, but, I am kinda happy with being half of the Countryguy moniker, so I never have signed on myself with a new name.

OH, I believe that CA for Bill and Ann is for Canada, not California. That would account for the time situation.

OH, and you are most welcome for the info, hope it helps ya!

Carol, Mrs. Countryguy!