Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2005, 11:58 AM   #1
traderjk
Established Member

M.O.C. #3813
What is the best Montana for full timing?

Hello all...I have just joined MOC and as yet do not have one which is going to tie in with my question.
I am looking at possibly going full time living in a few years when I retire(or sooner if possible...LOL) and I was wondering in your humble opinions, which is the best Montana for full timeing.
For instance, which do you feel offers the most comfort and "hominess", if you will. I rather like the RLs with the rear window and recliners but I also like the look of the RKs. I know most of it is what someone is looking for, I am thinking I would like something with an entertainment sytem that is easy to see without cranning my neck or sitting at an uncomfortable angle. A roomy kitchen space and living room area would be nice also.
Do all the models come with a computer desk and hookups?
As for exterior, do they come with generators or is that a seperate purchase item?
Well I guess I have asked enough questions for the time being.
Oh one more,my TV is a 2002 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually with a 24 valve HO Turbo Cummins diesel and 6 speed on the floor, it should be capable of towing a 36 or 37 footer shouldn`t it?
Thanks in advance for your replys and have a great day..!!
James Blowers

traderjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 12:18 PM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
First, welcome to the MOC Forum. This is a great place to get answers. As to your question about "which Montana", it is unanswerable. maybe it would be answered by each of us as "the one I have." I looked at all the floor plans and decised the 3670 RL best fit my needs and desires. In every unit, you will find the need to make trade-offs. For instance, to get a washer/dryer, we have to trade off a closet.

If you decide to add a generator you will be trading off some front compartment space and reduce the amount of other cargo capacity. If nice desk space is a priority for you then check the 3650, but you will have to trade off something else to have it. Many folks enjoy the fireplace option, but they lose the cabinet space it requires.

The answer to which is best can only be answered by you as you figure out what is most important to your long term goals.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 01:39 PM   #3
Gypsy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #111
Hi Traderjk, Welcome to the Forum.

I, too, have the 3670RL and would like to add a few comments to the good advice already given by Stiles. The computer desk in this floor plan is very small, and the tilt-down door that becomes the work surface is only supported by chains on the two sides. I've had to have the chains tightened twice in 7 months. And I use a lightweight laptop computer and consciously try not to put the weight of my arms or hands on it. It still feels very flimsy and not well-supported, so I'm looking for a better support system. If you're a heavy-duty computer user, you might want to choose another floor plan, or just use your dining table for the computer. On the plus side, I can do email and still watch the news on TV - multitasking! Some floorplans have the computer desk facing away from the TV. And, when it's time to pack up and go, everything fits back in the compartment and the door closes up to hide it all. I added a slide latch to make sure my computer doesn't go flying across the room during travel. I also added a shelf so my printer can sit at the back and the laptop can ride on the shelf above.

I previously owned a 3295RK. I loved the kitchen space, especially the storage. But I don't cook a lot, and I decided I'd rather have 2 recliners and more room for friends to gather. When I decided to trade up to an '05, I chose the 3670RL because its floorplan is so open. But, like Stiles said, everything's a tradeoff - now I have less room for pots and pans and pantry storage. I swapped the sofabed and recliners so I can see the TV straight on. And I can look out the large rear window instead of sit in front of it.

Good luck in your search for the perfect Montana. While shopping, try to spend time alone in each rig (send the salesperson away) and imagine spending an evening in the living room and cooking in the kitchen. At least your choice of a Montana seems to be made and it's a good one!

Sharon
Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 05:18 PM   #4
traderjk
Established Member

M.O.C. #3813
Stiles and Gypsy, thanks for the welcome and your input, it is truly appreciated. I am leaning toward a rl and I will check some of them out since we have a dealer about 2 miles from me.
As for sending the salesperson away, that in itself may be a task...I had one following me all over a lot at Dan Gamels today trying to make any deal he could. He said they were having a spring clearout sale (going to Fleetwood only)and needed to get rid of the non-fleetwood rv`s, so I told him I would do HIM a favor, I would hook my pickup to one of the Montanas and haul it off for him for a small fee...lol Anyway, the ones he had were not complete and had quite a bit of use on them. I DID however get a free hotdog and soda..:-)
Thanks again for your input and God Bless!!
Traderjk
traderjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 05:32 PM   #5
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
We have the 3575 R L & love it. Our previous 5 ver was a rear Kitchen. This is a personal choice It bounced the dishes a lot more than the center kitchen. Understand this is not a problem for some. Like the above posts you will have to figure out what will work best for you. If you have any questios just ask & someone will answer for you & good luck.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2005, 08:21 PM   #6
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I will have to agree with the rest, it is pretty much which ever floor plan grabs your fancy. I would suggest you take a hard look at the 3400RL. I use mine as a lake cabin all summer and still smile every weekend there.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 01:28 AM   #7
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Wouldn't trade our 3670 for any other model. Haven't seen one that can compare to the open area it has.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 12:18 PM   #8
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
We love our front living room it puts our bed room in the back out of the noise and light from the streets also w/front living room it makes the RV look more open from front to back without the wall in front for the BR we also like the two sofas for our grand and somtimes not so grand kis to stay over.. we have had 2 adults stay for 10 days at a time and it was roomey.like others have said its what ever you are looking for but as I see it the montana is the way to go....
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 02:24 PM   #9
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
For any usage type (full timing, part timing, weekend, etc...) I would suggest breaking down your wants/needs in a few more digestible units. For example (very abreviated list):

Infrastructure
If you plan to boondock, then you might want to be able to carry more than one or two batteries, will it?
How much fresh water vs holding tanks?
Good strong frame?
Good reputation for no leaks?
Cold weather abilities?

Storage
Good "basement" (hieght, side/front access?
Interior closets? (trade off if washer drier wanted...)
Enough interior storage for needed daily "stuff"?

Cooking ability
Do you like to cook? (island model have more counter space)

Access to interior (cooking, storage, bed, bath, etc) while slides are in.
Depends on how you travel when you are on the road. Island models aren't as good for this...

Extensibility to add features not available on this unit
If the unit does not have something installed (missing option) or this thing isn't even on the option list, can it be retrofitted?

Livability of interior
Does the layout please you?
Can you see out easily if you want to?
Do you have guests you need to handle?

Make your list of things you really think you NEED and then the things you WANT and then the things that would be NICE TO HAVE. Go through various units with your list and check off which works and which doesn't. When you are done, sort out which units best match your list and figure out which one makes the final cut

Simple, right?

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 02:24 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
This is really a tough question. Any of the models will serve well if that particular meets you personal needs the best. For us that meant lots of storage, inside and out, lots of counter space, an apartment/homey type feel rather than a trailer feel, and, especially, a high cargo capacity in terms of weight since we are fulltimers. For us that meant the 3295RK. After 3 years including 26 months of fulltiming we are still convinced this is the best model for our needs, desires, and usage. As you can see above, other models are best for other folks. I think if you figure your own needs and wants you'll be able to figure out which will be best for you. Good luck and keep us posted.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 06:35 PM   #11
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Look at all of them and sit down and talk about what you do and what you want. This is what we did. We had always thought we would get the 3295 as this is the unit we first fell in love with. But then we saw the 3400 and it was a toss up. So we went back and forth a dozen times and ended up with the 3400 because we decided we like the rear LR. Every owner thinks theirs is best because it suits their lifestyle. Yours has to suit your lifestyle and it will be your favorite when you decide. Happy trails.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 12:05 PM   #12
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
We read all this type of stuff, made priority lists, did cost benefit analysis, etc. Then ordered a 3400 RL. It is great, but expect to make some mistakes. I am not pleased with the dinnete, esp. the chairs. Since I was ordering from factory, I could have left them out, like I did the loungers, but didn't and am sorry. Way to big, crude, heavy, horrific fabric, etc. Get your own desk chair. You can always use it at the table if needed.

We left out fireplace and love the extra room Also left out lounge chairs and got bigger, better, lighter ones that the backs just snap off of from Lazyboy. Also, cheaper and more comfortable.

There are a lot of places to add storage, voids, etc. if you are at all handy. Check out each blanked off area like under the stove, refer. There may be wires in there but they can be easily bundled out of the way.

Second Air Conditio9ner may be a must if you are going to b e in hot climates. We intend to avoid phoenix, etc in deep summer.

For all.

Check the electric bake wiring. Ours was rubbing on leaf springs and wearing through already
just from the pull from the factory. Our deealer added flex conduit like in cars, for free.

So far he has been great so if you are in Eastern VA, try Dixie RV Super Store in Hampton.

Greg is sales manager an he is great.

Good luck and welcome to Montana.

RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote