Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2005, 07:05 AM   #1
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Wine glass storage

So my wife says "honey can you install under one of the shelves one of these wine glass hangers that is tapered so you slide the wine glass in upside down and it hangs from it's base?"

My first thought is great idea as this will give us a little more storage space, but my second thought is what will happen when we hit a bump, will the glass break off at the stem, or will they bang together and break?

Has anyone tried this or heard about putting one in a 5er?

Thanks ahead for any help as I like to keep the boss happy with her requests. I still like the stainless steel wine glasses left over from our boating day's but oh well.

rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:09 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
rldriver

Seems someone did this, and posted photos and everything.

Have you tried a search from the front page, using the Archives??

OR, better yet, maybe that someone will happen along and tell you all about it. Seems I recall a latch to hold the glasses in and it had some kind of padding too???

CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 07:21 AM   #3
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Thanks CountryGuy for the reply. I did a search using "wine glass" but did not come up with anything.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CountryGuy

rldriver

Seems someone did this, and posted photos and everything.

Have you tried a search from the front page, using the Archives??

OR, better yet, maybe that someone will happen along and tell you all about it. Seems I recall a latch to hold the glasses in and it had some kind of padding too???

Old 04-26-2005, 07:42 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
rldriver,

be sure to go back to the main page (All Forums) of the forum and look in the Archives, you have to look for that little "A" off to the right side. The "A" is in a yellow box. It is kinda tricky!

If you did that, then shoot, guess it is the waiting game!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 08:33 AM   #5
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
I think it was Treecounter.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 10:42 AM   #6
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
It was treecounter, and it's a really nice concept he came up with. I'm sure he'd send you the pics if you sent a PM to him.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 05:25 PM   #7
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
We installed one that doesn't travel. Just use when setting still. Treecounter emailed us with the pictures of the one he designed. Looks really nice. Email him and he will send you the pics.
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 02:27 PM   #8
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Sorry I took so long to reply. We used one on our Seahawk and took it out when we traded it in on our Monty cuz I wouldn't be without it. We mounted it in the overhead of our 3475 right in the center cabinet. I use real crystal glasses in them and cover them with glass covers we got at Camping World. I put an adjustable spring loaded rod if front of the rack so they don't slide out and try to surround the rest of the cabinet with soft sided material (potato chips, or other liquor packed in plastic) so it doesn't clang together. Haven't broke anything yet. We also use the spring loaded rods to keep our back closet closed instead of those latches that are so hard to open that I have to break my fingernails every time I try. We just close the doors in reverse.
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 03:39 PM   #9
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
adelmoll;
Those latches can be modified so they open easy. Cut a thin piece of sheet metal slightly smaller than the back of the latch, pop rivet it to the back, 4 places, then use a hacksaw blade and cut the latch in half. I did ours two years ago and they are still good, no broken fingernails.

|
|________ ________\
----|-------------|----
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 04:12 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I keep reading about those latches being hard to open and wonder what's different about ours? Ours are not difficult to open. Could it be an alignment problem? Also, we've not broken one yet, probably because we bought a set of spares just in case.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 01:42 AM   #11
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
I think buying a spare is what did the trick, Steve.

We use a springy rod on our sliding door between the LR and BR since one time the strap came open and the door banged against the wall pushing two screws through the wall which scratched the edge of the door.

My solution for the wine glasses was to buy plastic but I know that's not as nice as glass.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 10:50 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Judy, that door coming open was on our original list of problems for our dealer. He solved it permanently by simply moving the snap around the corner and using a longer plastic strap. It's a simple but effective fix. 2 1/2 years and 30,000 miles and that door has not come open again by itself. Here's what the result looks like. The theory is now movement of the door against the strap has to pull sideways on the snap and that won't open it. As it comes from the factory, it's pulling just a little off of straight up and it will pop the snap pretty easily.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 01:17 PM   #13
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
I used self closing hinges on one side and put self sticking felt on it to protect the glass. Try looking for Stem glass holders in the archives. Will be putting them in our new coach. Thanks for remembering guys.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2005, 05:28 PM   #14
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks for the picture of your fix, Steve. We'll have to keep that in mind. So far the rod is working well and we'll probably stick with it until we get back from the bumpy roads in Alaska. Judy
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:29 PM   #15
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Regarding the wine rack, we have a couple of them. We have suffered a couple of losses along the way, but not for a while. On the glasses in our first rack, we used some padded baby socks and on the second rack we used bubble wrap shaped like a tube---think it works best. Bungie cords keep them in place.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 05:51 PM   #16
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Thanks to all for your thoughts and ideas. I did find the old post but looks like a picture was never posted but I have an idea how the self closing hinge works, great idea Treecounter.
Old 05-03-2005, 02:52 PM   #17
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Ok here I go sticking my neck out. I have a mental picture of a wine rack for the 3475. Some strange line on paper. I hope to have a mockup for the Shasta Show and Tell.
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote