Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-28-2005, 05:47 AM   #1
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
SuperGlide owners…

What are you doing to lock the handle for your SuperGlide hitch? After reading and then thinking about how easy it would be for some “miscreant” to throw the handle, I am just a tad concerned and want to lock it.

Thanks for any advice!

Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 08:08 AM   #2
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Wordsmith

What are you doing to lock the handle for your SuperGlide hitch? After reading and then thinking about how easy it would be for some “miscreant” to throw the handle, I am just a tad concerned and want to lock it.

Thanks for any advice!
Wordsmith,

I bought a lock that I hook through the opening where the handle goes through the hitch frame. With the lock in place, the handle can't be lifted enough to disengage it.

HTH,

Ken
kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 08:10 AM   #3
Bill Hill
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1344
I've been wondering about that as well, and had thought about drilling through the handle to install a lock on the inside of the frame. I can't believe how simple your answer is, thanks!.
Bill Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 08:27 PM   #4
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have just got into the habit of double checking the kingpin each time before I pull out of a rest area or fuel station. If you stand in the center of your tailgate and look directly into your hitch you will be able to see the silver latch that almost wraps totally around the kingpin. If you can see anything but the silver latch then you know someone has adjusted "something" on you. Also as I am walking to get into the truck I always give the release handle a good hard downward pull. It has the stop notch built into to it, and as long as you are pulling down toward the wheel well the kingpin will stay locked in place. If the handle moves more than an inch toward me then I know again that someone has adjusted or touched "something".
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 11:39 PM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Like Montana Sky I have gotten into the habit of always checking the hitch and wiring before I pull back onto the hiway. I don't need the Monty sitting on the bed rails and I have seen the results of unknowingly dragging the plug down the road.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 01:46 AM   #6
Wordsmith
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3215
Thanks for the suggestions! I will probably experiment while we are away.

Montana Sky and G & L, that was what I was thinking about doing anyway. I must confess that I give the king pin and the silver collar a good “eyeballing” right now—a little healthy paranoia, you know!
Wordsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 05:04 PM   #7
Montana_3371
Established Member

M.O.C. #3371
A padlock gives a lot of peace of mind. I have a lock.
Montana_3371 is offline   Reply With Quote