Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2005, 12:46 AM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Warning: this page has expired

Do any of you computer gurus know why this warning is showing up on my computer? It has just started in the past week. If I read someone's message and then try to return to the main topic, I get this message. Help!

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 01:55 AM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Glen and Judy

Try dumping your internet temporary pages, I had similar situation a few weeks ago, Glenn (of Glenn and Lorraine) suggested that action, it worked, and I have not had the problem since.

Good luck

Carol
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 02:13 AM   #3
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Now that's weird ... I saw Judy's post and it reminded me to delete my temp files. So I did and when I arrowed back, I got the "Page Expired" message! "Refresh" took care of it, but that's just weird ...
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 02:18 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Vicki R

Might be all that sea air, rusting things?? (tee hee)

Carol
Old 02-09-2005, 02:27 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Okay, ladies, you need to get real basic with me. Glenn knows that because of our history of trying to get our coffee table pictures posted.

What are my internet temporary pages? And how do I delete them? Thanks for your help.
Old 02-09-2005, 02:48 AM   #6
Gene Chaltry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #735
Glen and Judy.....Click on Tools in upper left corner of your screen then click on Internet Options. In the middle of the box that opens up you will see a button for deleteing cookies and another button for deleting files. Click on these.
Gene Chaltry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 02:50 AM   #7
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Go to the top of the screen, in one of the top rows you will see, File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools and Help (for Internet Explorer)

Pull down Tools, find Internet Options, click it open.

Find, something that says, Temporary Internet Files, also note that "Cookies" is in that area.

Click around till you can get it to ask you if you want to delete the Temp files, say yes. Depending on how long it has been since you did this, it might take a few seconds.

Note, you should periodically dump both the Temp Files and the Cookies. When you delete the Cookies, you might find that you have to re-enter some of your passwords, for sites, like MOC.

Now, the real "hackers" can get in here and explain this better, but hopefully this will get ya started.

Cheers and good luck Judy

Carol

Old 02-09-2005, 05:01 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
First of all I never delete my "Cookies". Lorraine and I frequent way to many sites that require passwords. We are not about to re-enter passwords everytime we access one of them. Been there, done that, will never do it again.

As far as TIF (Temporary Internet Files) if using Internet Explorer go to the top of the page and Click on "Tools".
Than Click on "Internet Options"
In the middle of the window you will see "Temporary Internet Files"
Click on Delete Files...
Click on "OK"

As Carol said "Depending on how long it has been since you did this, it might take a few seconds."
or in some cases over a minute.

As I am online a lot I try to delete these files at least twice weekly but it should be done at least once a week.

My routine is, delete the internet files, empty the recycle bin and reboot the 'puter.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 05:24 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Oh,boy, right before I read Glenn's message....I deleted all my cookies!!! I thought Glenn was making some cute remark about what he likes to eat but I read on. Well, all my cookies are gone. All my temporary files are gone. And it did take a while, Carol, since I had never done that. Seems like my 'puter is faster now. Could that be the case? We're just on dial-up.

By the way, I'm not getting anyone's pictures now. ?????

Thanks so much for everyone's help! Judy
Old 02-09-2005, 05:37 AM   #10
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Hey, I rebooted and got the pictures back! Yeah!
Old 02-09-2005, 05:45 AM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
YES your computer will be faster as it isn't sorting through all that junk.

Deleteing "Cookies" is a hobby of mine but only the edible kind, chocolate chip being my favorite.
That was probably the kind of comment you were expecting.

Deleteing the cookies is not a major problem but every site you have ever visited will now treat you like you have never been there before. All though your passwords and usernames will still be good you will be required to sign in. Some sites remember members using those Cookies and signing in is not required.
Old 02-09-2005, 06:08 AM   #12
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Judy,

I dump cookies rarely, but when nothing is working correctly, I will do it, and just bite the bullet and re-enter passwords. I do try, as Glenn suggests, to dump the temp files a couple of times a week. For some reason, I had not done so in 3 months, had this new laptop, and it just slipped my mind. Glenn helped to remind me, and now I am trying to remember to do this much more frequently. That and defraging the hard drive more than once every 6 months!

Cheers and glad you are back to regular surfing!

Carol
Old 02-09-2005, 08:03 AM   #13
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Now, Glen, you didn't disappoint me. I love chocolate chip cookies, too. Problem is - they tend to stick around forever, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, back to the computer. I just had another weird experience. I couldn't log on to the forum. Panic! It kept putting me in a cycle....back to the page that required log on after it just told me I was successfully logged on. Weird. I rebooted...AGAIN...and now it is fine.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:04 AM   #14
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I was having the same problem and had sent Steve an email his reply solved this problem for me. From what I had found since I am on highspeed and not dial up my computer is never disconnected from the internet. When I wanted to log off the MOC I just clicked the X and the page went away. But when I came back to the MOC I would already be logged in under my Montana Sky name. I would not have to type my name and password as it was keeping it from when I was previously here. To solve this problem I have to make sure I click the log out button with the truck and fifthwheel on the top right of your screen on my MOC page. Since I am on this page at least 3 times a day all I have to do is type "M" on my explorer page and it automatically takes me to the MOC page. Once I am there if it already has me logged in I just click "out" and then the refresh button and it will allow me to reenter my name and password. By making sure I am logged out before I close the page I have not had the "time expired" page show up again. Just a thought to help see if helps you get up and running again. Also thanks Steve for the help. Where would we be without you.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 11:40 AM   #15
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Probably a lot better off, Montana Sky.

Like Glenn and Carol, I don't delete Cookies unless nothing else works. Just too many sites I don't want to have to re-enter my userids. If anyone doesn't record their userids and passwords somewhere, this can be a real problem unless you can remember them all. I use a freebie to store my userids and passwords and have an icon on my launch bar so I can get to it quickly. It's called Password Pro 32 and is by ZDNet (PC Magazine). The Help/About says it's available at www.hotfiles.com and www.zdnet.com , although I've not checked recently. I'm using an old version (3.1.4) and don't know if there's a later version or not.

I also dump temporary internet files only when there's a problem. I probably should do it more often but just don't think about it.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 12:59 PM   #16
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Gotta check out that Password Pro. Even though I don't delete Cookies every now and than for some reason I am asked for my password or UserID.

Something I just discovered. In IE 6.0 there is an option which deletes TIF files whenever you close your browser.

Go to Tools, Internet Options,
Click on the Advanced Tab.
Scroll down to Security
Check--Empty Temporary Internet Files folder when browser is closed
Click "Apply" than click "OK"

Gonna try it and see what if anything happens.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:40 PM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glenn, that option does work. I'm just not quite sure I really want to delete them every time. It probably is fine but I'm not positive what all that impacts.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 01:50 PM   #18
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Steve, By the very fact that I delete mine at least twice a week and have not experienced any problems I can't see what difference deleteing each time I close the browser can make.