Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2015, 11:40 AM   #1
Annaoinga
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15850
Basement storage pics

I thought I saw some great storage ideas and pics when we first bought our 3725 in Nov but now I can't find them - any suggestions please? We have it out of storage and are starting to load it with goodies but want some ideas please.

Thank you!

Annaoinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:53 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
We are getting ready to finally get one of the Mor-ryde sliding cargo trays. On our third Montana and I have been wanting one, and am finally going to get one. Now I just have to decide on the length since we keep a small fridge in the basement as well.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 01:18 PM   #3
Annaoinga
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15850
I'll look it up - thank you! You have a beautiful RV!!
Annaoinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 04:12 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Ours is almost totally containerized with tool boxes from Stanley and storage containers from Walmart.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 05:03 PM   #5
Recumbent
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10457
We use plastic storage containers and just place some items on the basement floor trying to put the things we might need daily or most often closer to the doors and the seldom used items in the middle. We try to travel as minimalist, and about two times a year we rearrange and take out stuff that we don't really need. Built a full width shelf on the front basement wall for small items. Bought an electric cord reel and mounted it in the 3725 extra storage bay. Use plastic electrical cord reel to roll up water hose, and use brass quick-connects on hose.
Recumbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:36 AM   #6
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
The storage bays on our High Country have a lot of "vertical" space. In order to utilize this vertical space, I made a few "cabinets" that give me a defined place to put certain things and also allow me to stack those things to utilize that vertical space. The cabinets are movable - not attached to the floor. They can be removed for cleaning or service in the bay areas. They are heavy enough that they don't move around during transit.

Door side storage bay. The cabinet in the middle holds a couple of chairs, Bar-B-Q tools (dirty storage), and has a drawer for small items. This cabinet also serves as a "bookend" for the stuff on the right side of it that stand flat, on edge. Chairs, a propane stove, a step stool, folding tables, etc. Those items are separated by sheets of lightweight thin plywood just to keep them apart and from hanging on each other when they are slid into their space. The tub on the left of the cabinet holds frequently used miscellaneous items.

The fuzzy covering on the basement wall holds the loop side of velcro well, so I just use a loop of it for hanging things that need to be easy to find.

Front storage bay. one "layer" removed for the sake of the picture. Like a lot of folks, I use stacking tubs. They end up migrating to the least used on the bottom, the most frequently used on top. Fishing poles are mounted on the wall behind the tubs and are well protected there.

Another shot of the fishing poles. The holders are foam/friction type. I think they came from Walmart.

Another shot of the front bay with all the stuff in it. These items in this layer are usually removed at a campsite first, so access to the remaining stuff is easy.

Left side storage bay. Open-ended cabinets are used here again to use make use of the vertical space. On the left side the cabinet holds a folding canopy, a folding aluminum table, beach umbrella, and my "calibrated stick". The calibrated stick is a wooden measuring stick that has depth marks for the bedroom slide, the main slide and the kitchen slide, so when we initially pull into a site, we can easily measure our distance from surrounding objects like the power column, the water faucet, etc. The full length of the stick is the hitching height for the pin. The cabinet in the center holds the portable grill and allows a satellite dish to sit on top. The cabinet stays in the bay when the grill is removed for use. The rest of the stuff in the bay is housed in tubs. One for water hoses (sits in front of the cabinet), and another for water and electrical adapters.

Water hose storage. Water hoses are stored in a tub with plywood separators to keep them from tangling. This tub travels in the left side storage bay. I connect the hose ends together when they are coiled to keep any residual water in the hose. The tub keeps wet hoses from getting the storage bay floor wet.

There's nothing unusually innovative about these storage methods, most folks are using some variation of them. But, these have "evolved" over the years and have worked well for me. Of course, they never stop evolving as we add more "stuff"!

Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 02:30 PM   #7
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
We don't full time, so our storage solution follows another path. I needed hangars for water skis and campsite ornaments. The first photo was taken before we installed the vertical dividers on the street side. It all meshed together in the end.

dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 05:42 AM   #8
Bama Camper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15888
Great toolbox!
Bama Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 07:19 AM   #9
tweber502
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13660
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bama Camper

Great toolbox!
X2! dieselguy, is that a modified file cabinet that the toolbox sits in or is it a special cabinet designed specifically for that toolbox? Also, is it screwed to the storage compartment floor to prevent it from tipping out? Great idea. I also like the vertical dividers, keeps larger items orderly. Tim
tweber502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 10:27 AM   #10
FordMan1966
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15933
Looks like some of you are carrying way too much STUFF!
FordMan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 11:32 AM   #11
stillcampin
Established Member

M.O.C. #16050
Here is what I did to organize 2/3 of my basement. The other side has more drawers (not on the sliding tray) as well BBQ, water filters & softener.

stillcampin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:20 PM   #12
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
[quote]Originally posted by FordMan1966

Looks like some of you are carrying way too much STUFF!

I AGREE!!
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote