Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2004, 07:07 AM   #1
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Tires, Did you know

A recent post about buying new Truck tires reminded me of something I wanted to pass along to our members. When buying my last set of Truck tires from Discount Tire, I asked about getting the Life Time Road Hazard warranty for my 6 mo. old TT Tires that came with the TT. No problem $46. Now if I pick up a nail or whatever they will repair or replace for free.

As posted in the past they give you an 800# to call and if your in a place where there's no Discount store they will send you to the closest tire store and buy the tire for you. If the store doesn't have the same brand, you get a new tire for a spare and it will be exchanged for the right brand when you get to a Discount store.

The way I found out about them giving warranties on OEM tires was, I had picked up a nail on my way out of town a couple of years ago, and pulled into a Discount Store. The tire could not be fixed as the nail went through the side wall. $125 later the service guy asked me if I wanted the warranty on the tire I just bought? Then added he could write the warranty for all the tires for something like $10 each if I so choose. Which I did.

Seems like pretty cheap insurance. All a person would have to use it would be one time over the life of 12 tires. That seems like a high probability.

Thought you'd like to know,
Happy Camping

azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 08:03 AM   #2
Montana_2296
Established Member

M.O.C. #2296
Can you buy it if you are not replacing any tires at the time?
Montana_2296 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 08:46 AM   #3
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
DgoC,

I believe so, although I was buying both times. I didn't even have to take my TT in for them to see it. I just gave them the Tire make (Maxxis), size and the Ser.# from each tire. Bought 4 Certs. as the spare will always be the spare. They must have trusted me that the TT was new or nearly new but on my old TT the tires had a couple thousand mi. on them and that didn't seem to matter.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:57 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I have noticed that when you have a flat on the TT, your tires will be not repairable they will be shredded along with the skirting, plumbing or anything else that area. most of my tire problems seem to happen when I am on the move, Will the tire insurance/warintee replace the tire when in that condition?

TT2
Old 12-31-2004, 03:45 AM   #5
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
I got the insurance on my truck tires when I put new Michelins on it. $6.00 per tire.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 05:36 AM   #6
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
TT2,

I called Discount today about the "what if" the Tire is shredded question. Answer "No Problem" they will replace it. The Manager said if it's been shredded it was either a road hazzard or a Manufacturers defect. In either case they replace, no charge.

I know what you mean about the other damage. Been there, took out the wheel well a couple of Trailers ago. Left fiberglass insulation blowing in the breeze. Not a pretty picture. When I got home I looked around my garage and what do I see? A large drip pan on the floor. Perfect, a little work with my sheet metal shears, a little folding and bending and presto, a new wheel well.

Happy Camping
Old 12-31-2004, 08:44 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I guess what they don't realize is the reason most are shredded is that you can't really tell there's a flat tire like you can with your tow vehicle's tires. So you continue to drive on it until the rim shreds the tire. At least, that's how it always seems to me. I once tracked the line on a concrete highway showing where the rim ran on the pavement, until I located the remainder of a tire from a boat trailer I was towing behind a fifthwheel. I drove that one for 6 miles after the tire was gone from the rim.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote