Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-29-2004, 11:33 AM   #1
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
12 Volt Lights

I did a search for this but could not find what I was looking for. I wonder if when I am useing the 12 volt lights like in the bathroom and the ones in the ceiling are they drawing from the battery?? and then the 120 recharges the battery?? The other day we lost all electric power and had to use the batteries. Also where is the converter?? Thank you all for all information, Sometimes it takes a while for things to sink in.

prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 11:36 AM   #2
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Yes on drawing from the battery, then the converter recharges the battery, I think. Someone please correct or confirm.

The converter is where the breaker panel is. Usually the breaker panel is mounted on or right next to the converter.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 11:42 AM   #3
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
The 12 volt lights will work when you are plugged in and your battery is not in the unit. The converter should be inside the electric breaker panel. At least I think that was what I saw in there, was looking to see how to run 120 out to the basement.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 12:02 PM   #4
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
I agree with all above. The electric motor (DC) that operates the hydraulics for the slides also operates from the batteries. It pulls alot of juice (amps) when the slides are moving. Therefore don't ever try to operate the slides without the battery connected as it will overload the converter and possibly cause it damage.
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 12:06 PM   #5
prariepoodle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #450
Send a message via Yahoo to prariepoodle
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by palebluedot

I agree with all above. The electric motor (DC) that operates the hydraulics for the slides also operates from the batteries. It pulls alot of juice (amps) when the slides are moving. Therefore don't ever try to operate the slides without the battery connected as it will overload the converter and possibly cause it damage.

Hey! palebluedot, How are you and Mrs. palebluedot? Walt and I sure did enjoy your visit the other day and are hoping that you all will be coming back and we can go out for lunch sometime soon.
prariepoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 12:33 PM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
They are a great couple. They were the first MOCers we met at Pigeon Forge last November 03. It was Bill that explained the where abouts of the secret galley tank valve.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 05:13 AM   #7
party of 5
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1764
I beleive when you are plugged into shore power the lights are working off the converter. The converter converts 120v to 12v as the lights are designed to work off 12v power not 120v. There are light in the trailer that will only work off 120v.
party of 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 10:51 AM   #8
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
When you are plugged in, the converter produces 13.8 volts, and is connected to your battery. Lights out the battery happily charges up. Lights on the power is slowly taken from the battery and converter. As the load increases and the voltage drops below 13.8 volts, the converter cannot keep up and the battery begins to discharge to make up the difference. In my case that's pretty close to a 50 amp load... so the short answer is... if the slides aren't moving, the converter is providing the power.

The converter is in the power panel behind the 12 volt fuses. You have to remove the power panel from the wall to see it.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 11:10 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Took a look at the Parallax converter in our rig. It says right there inside the lid that 12v draws from the converter when attached to 110v and from the battery when not attached to shore power. Other converters may differ but that's what ours says. I was wrong in my guess above.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 12:57 PM   #10
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Not really Steve, the converter is hooked up to the battery with a great big honkin wire. The output of the converter passes through a diode which is essentially a one way device like a check valve in a water line.

If you want to use water to visualize how the converter and battery are used, think of your city water and your water tank on the coach. If the pump is on and the city water fails, the coach pump starts up and provides pressure. Battery and converter work exactly the same way..Converter fails or can't supply enough power, the battery takes up the slack.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote