Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-05-2004, 08:20 AM   #1
Ken Wiseman
Established Member

M.O.C. #1229
Send a message via Yahoo to Ken Wiseman
receiver mount for bike rack

Although the rear of our Montana looks nice with its smooth seamless fiberglass, I miss the usual square bumper for mounting our bike rack. I am thinking of having a hitch receiver mounted to the frame in the rear for carrying our bikes. There are many very nice bike racks that fit into a standard receiver.
The ladder bike racks (which I already have) are ok, but then I have to remove the bikes to get at the roof. Is there a better solution?

Ken Wiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 08:49 AM   #2
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
Ken, click on the search line at the top of the page and put in bike rack.....there has been a lot of discussion on this, I did it to check and see what was out there and there are several posts on this. I was not sure how to copy it over, but it did come up for me when i checked.
Right now I am doing like you, useing a ladder rack, but a lot of members have come up with some really great ideas and suggestions.
Good Luck
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 12:32 PM   #3
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Ken I have a 2in. receiver mounted on the front of truck. That works well for me. I got it at J C Whitney. Mail order.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 02:29 AM   #4
jsnip42
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #179
I too looked at adding a receiver to the back of Monty. I wanted to mount a generator. It seems like I remember if you add a receiver you void the warranty. I'm not sure just think I remember reading that.
jsnip42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 04:22 AM   #5
Gary Swenson
Established Member

M.O.C. #1799
jsnip42, I have a 3280 RL and am looking into mounting a generator also. What have you done regarding this?
Gary Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 07:01 AM   #6
Ken Wiseman
Established Member

M.O.C. #1229
Send a message via Yahoo to Ken Wiseman
Thanks for all of the ideas - especially the idea to do a search, duh! Great bike rack ideas already discussed at length in many previous posts. Anyway back to the subject at hand. . .

One idea has not surfaced. Has anyone tried to install a second ladder for the sole purpose of carrying bikes? Everyone seems to find the ladder solution satisfactory, but limits access to the roof - this would then be the ultimate solution, two ladders.
Ken Wiseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 04:02 PM   #7
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Thanks for the posting. Great idea. happyrving....
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 04:51 PM   #8
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
if you add a receiver you void the warranty. I'm not sure just think I remember reading that.
======================================

I think someone said that recently.

However, We had a back bumper and receiver hitch added by the dealer as part of our deal for our Montana. We use it but not for any real heavy loads. Duck boat on a trailer, 500cc ATV on a trailer , or 19 1/2' boat on a trailer.

Now thinking of putting a 500# cargo carrier back there on which to mount our 3000watt generator.

Around here (near the Missouri River Reservoirs) we see lots of people pulling fishing boats behind fifth wheel trailers.
Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2004, 03:01 AM   #9
Gary Swenson
Established Member

M.O.C. #1799
Random Line, do you have any pictures of how the dealer installed the receiver hitch? I am wanting to do this in order to carry a 150# generator on the back. Thanks
Gary Swenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 03:09 AM   #10
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Is this what your looking for???

Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 03:45 AM   #11
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
Is there a better solution?
---------------------------------------------
At one time Rob Cooley posted some plans for adding some kind of bike rack and hitch to the back of his Montana. I can't find it right now. Ask him about it when he comes back on line.

Random Line
Old 08-16-2004, 03:55 AM   #12
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7

Found it!!!

Go to Rob's Profile.

Down at the bottom is his Home Page.

On it is a picture trail of his bike rack project.

Random Line
Old 08-21-2004, 11:46 AM   #13
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
I did as Gene suggested and bought a front receiver from J.C. Whitney, about $125 with shipping. It took me all of 20 minuted to install it.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2004, 02:21 PM   #14
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
[quote]Originally posted by Random Line

Is there a better solution?
---------------------------------------------
At one time Rob Cooley posted some plans for adding some kind of bike rack and hitch to the back of his Montana. I can't find it right now. Ask him about it when he comes back on line.

Random Line
----------------------------------------------------------

Added Later.

Go to Cooleys Profile. He has a picture link there that will show a couple pictures of what he built. I think mine is heavier and will get you a picture when I find my digital camera which is possibly in storage at the moment. I may try to get Hamrad to take the picture and send it to youi in about a week or so when he is here.