Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2004, 04:43 PM   #1
OVERALL

M.O.C. #1965
ANY TROUBLE WITH MOUNTAINEER 5TH WHEELS

I JUST PURCHASED A NEW 2004 298RLS MOUNTAINEER 5TH WHEEL. HAS THERE BEEN ANY MAJOR PROBLEMS WITH THESE TRAILERS. I HAVE ONLY HAD THE TRAILER FOR ABOUT TWO WEEKS. I HAVE HEARD THAT THERE HAVE BEEN SOME PROBLEMS. I WOULD LIKE ANY INFORMATION ANYONE CAN GIVE ME,SO I CAN BE ON THE LOOK OUT FOR THESE PROBLEMS.

THANKS

OVERALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 04:58 PM   #2
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
David,
Welcome. Glad to see you made it online. I'm sure you'll get some responses to your question. Hope you have had no trouble with your rig.

Enjoy the MOC.

RVWheels
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 07:02 PM   #3
Montana_1190
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1190
Hi David,
We just got our 2005 Mountaineer in June. We have been on our shakedown cruise and had no major problems, just a few little ones such as the shower leaking. We took it in for the little fixes and will be leaving in a week for a long trip out west. Hopefully nothing major will happen! If something does come up I'll let you know.
Montana_1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 04:52 AM   #4
OVERALL

M.O.C. #1965
THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION. WHERE WAS YOUR SHOWER LEAKING. THE ONLY THING I HAVE HAD GO WRONG WAS THE THE SINK FAUSET WAS LOOSE AND I FIXED THAT.
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MEinMO

Hi David,
We just got our 2005 Mountaineer in June. We have been on our shakedown cruise and had no major problems, just a few little ones such as the shower leaking. We took it in for the little fixes and will be leaving in a week for a long trip out west. Hopefully nothing major will happen! If something does come up I'll let you know.
Old 08-14-2004, 06:47 PM   #5
Montana_1190
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1190
There is a piece of white plastic along the wall (as you go up the steps) where the glass meets it and the base of the shower. Water just dripped out of it. They caulked all along the bottom of the glass surround both inside and out. Hopefully that will take care of the problem. You have good taste in 5ers if I do say so myself!
Montana_1190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 02:11 PM   #6
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
We got ours in April. It is a 2004 and I don't know what changes might have been made. Here's what we noticed:
1. The shower leaked. Needs caulking around bottom.
2. If yours has a pantry, check the rear of the drawer guides and make sure they are securely fastened to the walls. See previous posts on this problem. Suggest you find a way to secure the drawers or door better.
3. Recommend you weigh yours before you load anything so you know where you stand. Our pin weight was way over the published data before we ever loaded anything. It is probably too heavy for a 3/4 ton, but we are working on adding weights and trying to get the MFR to offer some advice.
4. The AC is bad about freezing up in hot weather unless you run the fan on high.
5. If you have 30 amp service you will have to watch your usage. We blew the fuse running the AC, the elec. hot water heater and a light or two.

We really like the way it pulls and the layout of the trailer. Hope we can get the weight issue resolved as we were planning on going full time in it when the time is right. Happy camping.
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 02:22 PM   #7
OVERALL

M.O.C. #1965
THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION. WHAT IS PIN WEIGHT. I HAVE A FORD F350 1 TON LONG BED 4X4 . I HAVENT HAD ANY TROUBLE PULLING IT.BUT IT USES A LOT OF FUEL. BUT I GUESS THATS PART OF IT.

DAVID

We got ours in April. It is a 2004 and I don't know what changes might have been made. Here's what we noticed:
1. The shower leaked. Needs caulking around bottom.
2. If yours has a pantry, check the rear of the drawer guides and make sure they are securely fastened to the walls. See previous posts on this problem. Suggest you find a way to secure the drawers or door better.
3. Recommend you weigh yours before you load anything so you know where you stand. Our pin weight was way over the published data before we ever loaded anything. It is probably too heavy for a 3/4 ton, but we are working on adding weights and trying to get the MFR to offer some advice.
4. The AC is bad about freezing up in hot weather unless you run the fan on high.
5. If you have 30 amp service you will have to watch your usage. We blew the fuse running the AC, the elec. hot water heater and a light or two.

We really like the way it pulls and the layout of the trailer. Hope we can get the weight issue resolved as we were planning on going full time in it when the time is right. Happy camping.

[/quote]