Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-25-2010, 12:33 PM   #1
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
OEM fuel tank replacement

Anyone have experience with Transfer Flow's OEM fuel tank replacements? We are considering having the 60 gallon replacement tank put in our truck, but would first like to hear from anyone who has had the mod completed. I understand that the tank gauge would be modified so that it would provide a reading for the new, larger tank. Wondering how accurate the new reading would be??? I hate dragging the fifth wheel into a fuel station, so I like to know with some degree of accuracy how much fuel I have onboard so that exercise can be avoided.

CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 01:40 PM   #2
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I also am thinking of another trip to Chico for a new tank. Never had other than 'in bed'.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:02 PM   #3
bw2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5592
A friend has added the OEM for a 2006 Ford. The gauge is close to accurate, but the computer is not and according to Ford, the computer cannot be adjusted. I am planning on adding the OEM replacement to my 2005 Ford. The computer accuracy would not be that important.
bw2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:29 PM   #4
oldelmer1
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10758
My only thought about replacing the OEM tank would be, the truck is designed with the 35(or so) gallon tank in mind. If you replace the tank with a bigger one, will it throw the balance of the truck off.

I have a KSH in the bed toolbox/fuel tank which is plumbed into the fuel lines and with a flick of a switch on the dash, the built in fuel pump takes over and so does the vehicles gauge.
oldelmer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:01 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have a TF 56 Gal OEM replacement tank in my '08 Chevy. The analog gauge works perfectly, when I fill the tank I reset the DIC monitor to 0 gals used. It will then tell me how many gals I hhave used so I can tell how much I have left. I reset the trip odometer also as another means of watching the tank. GM says the DIC computer cannot be changed to work with the larger tanks. I have had no problems with balance. Tires seem to wear the same........I did not want to use a tool box tank as I need it for storage of genny and other items.......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #6
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
I had the 45 gal replacement tank put in where the old 26 gal OEM tank was several years ago at the factory up in Chico. It was a little pricey, but well worth it and would do it again. The gauge works just fine, and they will even tell you how much fuel they put in to get it to 1/4 tank, 1/2 tank and 3/4 tank.
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
before you change you better check with the dealer, ford will not guarintee there fuel pump if it is put into another tank other than OEM.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:58 AM   #8
Hooker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7915
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by exav8tr

I have a TF 56 Gal OEM replacement tank in my '08 Chevy. The analog gauge works perfectly, when I fill the tank I reset the DIC monitor to 0 gals used. It will then tell me how many gals I hhave used so I can tell how much I have left. I reset the trip odometer also as another means of watching the tank. GM says the DIC computer cannot be changed to work with the larger tanks. I have had no problems with balance. Tires seem to wear the same........I did not want to use a tool box tank as I need it for storage of genny and other items.......
I have the same tank. It works as advertised. The 'gallons used' mode of the DIC is extremely accurate. The fuel guage does not need to be reprogramed...it works just as it did before...showing full, 3/4, half, etc. My only complaint with this tank was the price...over $1,400 installed.
Hooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by oldelmer1

My only thought about replacing the OEM tank would be, the truck is designed with the 35(or so) gallon tank in mind. If you replace the tank with a bigger one, will it throw the balance of the truck off.

I have a KSH in the bed toolbox/fuel tank which is plumbed into the fuel lines and with a flick of a switch on the dash, the built in fuel pump takes over and so does the vehicles gauge.
From what I have seen on the web, the new tank would ride pretty much in the same space as the OEM...just 22 gallons more fuel!
Old 11-26-2010, 10:48 AM   #10
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Trailer Trash 2

before you change you better check with the dealer, ford will not guarintee there fuel pump if it is put into another tank other than OEM.
Think it's back to the drawing board...I do not want any possible doubt in warranty coverage down the road. Thanks for this observation...I had not even considered that it might be an issue with the warranty. Also, thanks to everyone else for your input... it was much appreciated.
Old 11-26-2010, 11:19 AM   #11
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
If anybody decides to have a TF tank installed at the Chico factory let me know, we are 12 mi away. A lot of great places to eat in Chico.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:38 AM   #12
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:

Ford would have to prove the aftermarket tank caused or contributed to the failure, something I doubt they could do.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:21 AM   #13
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:

Ford would have to prove the aftermarket tank caused or contributed to the failure, something I doubt they could do.
The way I understand it is the person or company that did the modification is the ones that has to prove to the manufacture it was not caused by there equiptment change, Ford dont have to prove nothing to void a warintee if a modification was made to there vehicle it is up to the manufacture of the new equiptment and the owner to prove it was not a problem caused by them tampering with the fuel pump, I personally dont have the time or money to buck heads with a vehical manufacture. I am going by feedback from my brother in law who was told by Ford his modification to his new ford fuel system would void his warintee if a problem with his FUEL PUMP happened, not the whole vehicle. maybe I should have been more detailed in my eariler post.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #14
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The way I understand it is the person or company that did the modification is the ones that has to prove to the manufacture it was not caused by there equiptment change, Ford dont have to prove nothing to void a warintee if a modification was made to there vehicle it is up to the manufacture of the new equiptment and the owner to prove it was not a problem caused by them tampering with the fuel pump, I personally dont have the time or money to buck heads with a vehical manufacture. I am going by feedback from my brother in law who was told by Ford his modification to his new ford fuel system would void his warintee if a problem with his FUEL PUMP happened, not the whole vehicle. maybe I should have been more detailed in my eariler post.
If there is a possible warrantee issue, I would be the one caught in it's cross hairs...so, as I already indicated, I am going to continue to study the matter, and hopefully hear from others who have done the mod, before I make a final decision.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:46 AM   #15
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Tom S is correct.... Under the Magnuson-Moss Act the onus is upon the dealer to prove the aftermarket device caused the failure.

08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:28 PM   #16
CBTraveler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9267
Stand by for a few weeks. I just ordered the replacement tank from Transfer Flow for my 2006 Dodge Ram3500 Megacab. I debated back and forth with myself for months and finally decided that I needed just enough fuel for a maxed out full day ( 500 miles) which I can get from the 56 gallons. Like others, I wanted to keep my tool box and I was a little concerned about having to fill two tanks at the stops. I did give up some additional capacity, but I'm mainly getting it because of the desire to have to fill only once per day. Once I've had a month or so, I'll get back with comments about how well it works.

Sure hope Dodge isn't fussy about the fuel pump- I didn't think about that before I bought.
CBTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 04:17 AM   #17
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by CBTraveler

Stand by for a few weeks. I just ordered the replacement tank from Transfer Flow for my 2006 Dodge Ram3500 Megacab. I debated back and forth with myself for months and finally decided that I needed just enough fuel for a maxed out full day ( 500 miles) which I can get from the 56 gallons. Like others, I wanted to keep my tool box and I was a little concerned about having to fill two tanks at the stops. I did give up some additional capacity, but I'm mainly getting it because of the desire to have to fill only once per day. Once I've had a month or so, I'll get back with comments about how well it works.

Sure hope Dodge isn't fussy about the fuel pump- I didn't think about that before I bought.
Thanks, I have not completely given up on the idea...we wer looking at the 60 gallon tank for our Ford.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:26 AM   #18
Capt Kidd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6933
Mine was the first Dodge 3500 MegaCab they did and after almost three years I am extremelyhappy with it.
Capt Kidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 04:23 PM   #19
08UltraRider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10763
Titan is another you might want to look at. These mount in the stock location as well.

http://www.titanfueltanks.com/default.htm

08UltraRider is offline   Reply With Quote