Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-01-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
cwalker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9730
Security

Well, we've had our new Montana for less than two months and over the weekend someone broke in and took both TVs (how they got the one in the living room out I can't figure out), and the receiver system. Fortunately we don't keep much in there when we're storing it. They also took my laundry basket, sheets, towels and washcloths, I guess to wrap it all up in. Weird. Fortunately we have good insurance and it's already at Camping World awaiting repair. Anyway, this prompts me to ask if anyone has a security system on their RV while it is parked in a storage facility. I googled rv security and found several, but would appreciate any pros and cons on any brands. Thanks so much!

cwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:33 AM   #2
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
You might try hidden camera's, they are pricey but you can monitor them from any computer but the RV must have electric. GBY..........
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 11:51 AM   #3
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Cwalker I have had three or four brake in's and the time before last the police officer said to install a alarm system something that makes a lot of noise, burglers dont like something broadcasting there presence, so I installed one, it is a stand alone system that has its own power supply, so when you the power off it will opperate properly, which it did on my last brake in it must have scared them off because all I lost was my OEM montana rechargable flashlight, which they needed to see because the power was off. that was the only thing this time, I hope it was the alarm that help deture the brake in and robery. if you get one mount a speaker in the trailer and one underneeth on the outside it will make a lot of noise inside and out. I have all my doors alarmed and PIR motion detectors inside front and rear.
Old 12-01-2009, 10:25 PM   #4
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Something that would emit knock out gas and notify the police would be great!
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:29 AM   #5
BUGGARLUGZ

M.O.C. #6578
Sorry to hear you all have had burglars.So far we have been lucky and hope to stay that way.I took our 3585 rl to the locksmiths store,had a kwickset deadbolt lock fitted to the door above the factory locks,it was easy,40 minuites, cheap, 75 dollars with labor and lock,now it is a better deterent visually and whilst asleep onboard no one can use the universal keys alone to possible sneak in either.Now I sleep with earplugs knowing it would take a lot of noise to intrude.
Thankfully it is rare for our community to be affected by scum but hope this idea,if tried, makes you'all feel safer.
BUGGARLUGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 04:36 AM   #6
cwalker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9730
Thanks for all the suggestions. I like the one about the knockout gas! :-) Seriously, I appreciate all the oomments. We're looking at getting a noisy alarm with flashing lights, changing the storage locks (they didn't bother those), and moving it to another storage place that hasn't had any breakins and has someone living on the property. I've heard that if you make it too hard to get into they'll just destroy it trying to get in anyway. One of the other people they got had a trailer with no windows and they pretty much destroyed the door getting in. They got one of their ATVs but the other one they couldn't start. It's a sad commentary on our society today that we even have to deal with this. I'm thankful for all you nice people!!! Thanks again for the ideas!
cwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:27 AM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cwalker

Thanks for all the suggestions. I like the one about the knockout gas! :-) Seriously, I appreciate all the oomments. We're looking at getting a noisy alarm with flashing lights, changing the storage locks (they didn't bother those), and moving it to another storage place that hasn't had any breakins and has someone living on the property. I've heard that if you make it too hard to get into they'll just destroy it trying to get in anyway. One of the other people they got had a trailer with no windows and they pretty much destroyed the door getting in. They got one of their ATVs but the other one they couldn't start. It's a sad commentary on our society today that we even have to deal with this. I'm thankful for all you nice people!!! Thanks again for the ideas!
yep they do brake stuff one dinning room window parts and labor ove 3K