Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2009, 03:32 PM   #1
maphillips
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8718
Another incident free trip on the Missions

Just got back from a 1500+ mile trip on the Missions with no problems. This follows a 3200 mile trip last fall on them. This was the first trip of the year and when I took the covers off of them to air them up for the trip they all still had exactly 80 psi in them. I was pleasantly surprised. Set all winter and did not lose any pressure.

maphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
That is truly amazing, But, don't rest on your laurels. Keep a good eye on them.....Hopefully you will be the exception rather than the rule.....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 04:03 PM   #3
maphillips
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8718
Yes sir exav8tr, you can bet I look them over everytime we stop and I drive with my fingers crossed and a prayer on my lips.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We never had a problem with our missions and ran them @ 10K miles. We did change them out although they looked good. We would have changed out any brand , Low bidder, OEM tires after 10K miles or so.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 04:10 AM   #5
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

We never had a problem with our missions and ran them @ 10K miles. We did change them out although they looked good. We would have changed out any brand , Low bidder, OEM tires after 10K miles or so.
I see that post time after time. Have you changed the tires on the TV yet? Surely you've got over 10K on it. Same situation; low bid. The Missions are just a POS plain and simple. Oh, and I've asked that question before, and never got an answer.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:39 PM   #6
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
Same as maphillips on the pressure story, we also just took our 3400 out for it's inaugural run of the season last weekend. The tires on the ground had not lost a single pound of pressure over the winter. HOWEVER, the spare had lost most of it's pressure, dropping from 80 pounds down to 20 pounds. Boy am I glad I crawled under there and checked.We will run them for a while yet, and probably change them out next year. I am getting the Pressure Pro system to keep an eye on them.
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 02:20 AM   #7
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

I see that post time after time. Have you changed the tires on the TV yet? Surely you've got over 10K on it. Same situation; low bid. The Missions are just a POS plain and simple. Oh, and I've asked that question before, and never got an answer.
I have also wondered why. If you are confident in the OEM tires on your TV than why not the tires on the trailer. Neither TV nor RV manufacturer puts on the top of the line.
Having a tire failure on the RV may tear up some of the trailer but a failure on the TV could be a lot more catastrophic.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 04:45 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hold it.... We are talking about Camper tires..not TV tires. The tires on the 08 Ford are OEM, BF Goodrich, Rugged trail,LT 245/75 R17 121/118R-M&S.Don't think they are in the same category as OEM camper tires.. I said "We never had a problem with our missions and ran them @ 10K miles. We did change them out although they looked good. We would have changed out any brand , Low bidder, OEM tires after 10K miles or so." I said that time after time because it was our experience.. Never mentioned the TV OEM anything. There are many, many folks who never had a problem wth Mission or other OEM tires just as there are many, many folks who will say they never had a problem with their Montana's. So Glenn, as a tire expert..those BF goodrich tires on the TV are no better than the OEM camper tires and we should not buy them or replace them if we have them??? Also changed out our OEM shackles on the camper at about the same time...Should we replace them on the TV....They are OEM??

We never replied because I saw no reason to defend a personal experience and in our wildest dreams we can not compare the TV with the Camper.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:32 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Ran my Missions about 5,000 miles. Mine never lost pressure either. But I did notice a slight bulge starting to form on the inside of the front street side tire. That is when I decided to trade them out before one blew.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:55 AM   #10
mopar1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8805
Now that another tire thread is started I wanted to post something I saw on another RV web site. It was said that after the campers were built they were delivered all over the country obviously. Did the delivery person drive under the speed limits and check the air pressure like we Montana owners do? Probably not but maybe there were some that did. That could be a reason why some people have good luck with the OEM set that comes on the campers and some have bad luck.
Plus when your camper was made here in Indiana and you live in California, that is quite a few miles on your "new" tires.
mopar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:30 PM   #11
Desert RVer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9307
There have been so many, and I mean many, reports of Mission tire failures with also multiple reports of RV damage when they did fail, I don't see how anyone could defend the Mission tires at all. To defend Mission tires at all seems very suspect to me. To say that one had no problems occur in 10,000 miles and then say the only reason they were changed out is because they were cheap OEM tires is a bit irresponsible. Many have had failures and resulting RV damage occur right around the 10,000 mile figure. There is no way to defend the Mission tires or Montana's selection of Mission tires for use on the units. Those that purchased a Montana with Mission tires near Goshen have approximately 3,000 miles less on them than those units delivered to the West Coast. I would highly recommend that any Montana owner that still has Mission tires on their unit.... replace them immediately.
Desert RVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 04:41 AM   #12
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
maphillips, It appears that you have no confidence in your present tires and are just waiting for something to happen. Personally, I would not wait, I would change them out now and give myself some peace of mind. I didn't read anyone defending the use of Mission tires, ONLY stating their experience with them. I lost two early on and had all four replaced by Tireco. After reading all the problems with the Missions one has to evaluate their usage as to whether to change them out now or later. I feel that full time usage (i.e. a lot of miles) is a little different than the ocassional weekend camper, although damage could still be great for the weekender.

Starting out on a trip wondering IF my tires will make it is not my kind of life, there are enough other crazy things to worry about. This RV'ing should be fun (and to us it is) not a feat to fret all the time.

BOTTOM LINE: If no confidence, change them out.....
Old 05-31-2009, 05:12 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I never used the word cheap when refering to mission tires. We never defended them. I was relating my experience with Mission tires just as others do..good or bad. I felt a change at @10K mies was good "preventative maint" as we would do another 10K in a short time.. The truck has BF goodrich OEM tires. I feel a change at @30K is good "preventive maint" The choice is yours and may depend on your style of travel.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:50 PM   #14
maphillips
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8718
exav8tr, I may not have any confidence in them, and after reading all the negative stuff written about them on here, how could one have confidence or not expect something to happen. When one hear's nothing but negative about anything, you can't help but wonder if or when it will happen to you. I have just been fortunate that it has not happened to me(yet). When I stop for fuel or whatever I always circle my rig just to look everything over. That's with my Montie, my Bass boat or whatever I might towing on a long trip. I guess I'll just have to push my luck until I can afford to dish out 6 or 800 dollars on some new tires.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:52 PM   #15
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Mark, I understand the financial considerations. I'm sure you will work it out and I wish you the best of luck. I will say I was fortunate when I had my two blowouts coming from Alaska. I have the Pressure Pro Tire Monitoring System and was alerted as soon as it happened and was able to pull to side of road without damage or consequence.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:50 PM   #16
maphillips
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8718
Hey Phil, Sounds like the Pressure Pro Tire Monitoring System paid for itself on that one instance. May be a wise purchase for me someday. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:08 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The pressure pro system will not help in a blow out that is "a sudden and catastrophic failure" However many failues are caused by a loss of presure that will go undetected resulting in the tire seperation from the im or tearing itself up and the end result is it looks and feels like there was a blowout. We would not leave the driveway without the PP systen operating.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:25 AM   #18
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I beg to differ with Rich, BUT the pressure pro system went to 0 psi and the alarm sounded, I immediately pulled over and couldn't even feel a flat tire, not sure how long it would have gone before tearing apart. Mine DID NOT disintegrate and come apart. Maybe I was just lucky. That is a long way back there to the rear trailer tires and most folks don't know they have a flat until it comes apart, that's where the Pressure Pro shines.....I give all the credit to the system in preventing damage to the side of my trailer.....
Old 06-01-2009, 11:01 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Phil.. You did not have a sudden and catastrophic faiure" IE.. a blowout. Your tire did not disintegrate which is what happens in a catastrophic failure. We had the same experience you mention. The alarm sounded and by the tme we reacted and got stopped the tire had lost nearly all pressure but had not separated from the rim or disintegrated. When there is boom,tire flies everywhere it comes apart and goes flat before you can react,that is catastrophic. Had the thread come off a bus rear dually and what was left never lost air till I stopped alerted by the flying rubber and it then collapsed as I watched it. The PP would not have sounded a warning in that case and if you did not note the rubber flying off the failue would have become catastrophic. I did not define "Sudden and Catastrophic failre" properly. In your case the PP did exactly what we would expect it to do and prevented the catastrphic failure. The point I mentioned..well not really my point, is that the PP will prevent a loss of pressure from becoming a catastrophic failure.
Old 06-01-2009, 12:22 PM   #20
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Rich, Thanks for the clarification of a catastrophic failure. I guess I had a blowout (from 80 to 0 psi) without it being catastrophic and glad it wasn't. The scary part was not being able to "pull completely off the Alcan" while I changed the tire myself with DW at the rear of the trailer. Thankfully it was in Jun and all the Alcan traffic was northbound and we were southbound.