Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2009, 02:27 AM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Static

Hi all I have been experiancing static everytime I get up out of my chair and touch anything metal Zap! Sometimes it really hurts. I'm afraid I might hit the computer and blow out something. Has anyone had this problem. We have a small 9 mth old Yorkie and if I spray Static gaurd and the puppy starts sneezing and take a long time to get over it. Is their any other product I can try? Thanks Randye

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:32 AM   #2
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
I sometimes have the same problem - I try to tell the DW that it's my "electric personality". On those "static days", it's a real shock (pun intended) when I try to pet the dog or kiss the wife. Maybe you just need to ground yourself. Folks working on electronic assembly lines have a wrist band that snaps to a ground wire at their work station. They simply "unsnap" to move around and then "re-snap to work on the circuit boards. Perhaps you could get a 100' foot or so ground wire and just stay tethered on those "static days".
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:43 AM   #3
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
You need to raise the humidity to eliminate the static.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by randye

Hi all I have been experiancing static everytime I get up out of my chair and touch anything metal Zap! Sometimes it really hurts. I'm afraid I might hit the computer and blow out something. Has anyone had this problem. .....
That's odd! I only get static when I don't get out of my chair.

Static from my wife, that is.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:00 PM   #5
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Good one, KTManiac, outstanding!

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:05 PM   #6
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Some tips from: Science Made Simple

Static Elimination Tips

Our expert in static electricity in the electronics industry suggests trying the following to get rid of static electricity problems in your home or office:

1) Increase the humidity in your house and workplace. Air is much drier in the winter, which increases the frequency and severity of shocks. Use a humidifier.

2) Change clothes - switch to natural fibers, since synthetics pick up more of a static charge.

3) Change shoes - there are special conductive shoes in a variety of styles. They are made for people working in the electronics industry. You will need to find a store or catalogue that sells or can order them for you. (Search online for "esd shoes")

4) If your skin is very dry - try an anti-static hand lotion (also available for the electronics industry.)

5) Walk barefoot. (Or, as silly as it may sound, cover your shoes with aluminum foil when possible) to reduce the static buildup.

6) Wear a thimble on your finger, or carry a coin, and use them to touch grounded metal objects as often as possible. This will not eliminate the static discharge, but will stop the pain you feel in your fingertips.

7) Be sure to ground yourself before touching sensitive electronic equipment.

AND, from WikiHow

* Try carrying an anti-static dryer sheet in your pocket, and rubbing it once in a while. This works to dissipate static for people as well as laundry.

"BOUNCE" TO THE RESCUE!!
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:26 AM   #7
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KTManiac

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by randye

Hi all I have been experiancing static everytime I get up out of my chair and touch anything metal Zap! Sometimes it really hurts. I'm afraid I might hit the computer and blow out something. Has anyone had this problem. .....
That's odd! I only get static when I don't get out of my chair.

Static from my wife, that is.
hahahahaha! I was shocked - the last time I didn't get out of my chair I got grounded!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:01 AM   #8
kilch123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9104
This is a product we use on our shuttle buses at the airport to discharge static in the vehicle - it may help, and it's cheap! Can be bought at many different vendors, this link is the only one that had a picture I could find.

Attach it to the body of the camper, not the suspension, and let it drag the ground - once it wears out (100,000 miles or so) replace it

http://www.autoparts2020.com/rsdev/p...T_HDR_ID=33906

Hope that helps!
kilch123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 08:21 AM   #9
dannykaren
Established Member

M.O.C. #7076
Put some fabric softner like downey in a spray bottle with water and spray on carpet. This will eleminate the static
dannykaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:41 PM   #10
bobby A
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7333
I haven't heard anyone mention this so I will, check all your ground straps to make sure your unit is properly grounded.
bobby A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:37 PM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Brad, Your wit is electrifying!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:26 AM   #12
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
So Waynem, if I understand the directions correctly, I should:
Raise the humidity (constantly boiling water?),
Put on some conductive shoes (from an orchestra conducter?),
Cover myself with hand lotion (OK for other body parts?),
Then either take off my shoes or cover them with aluminum foil (does this keep aliens away also?)
Wear a thimble on one of my fingers and walk around dragging it over all metal objects (guess which finger),
And finally, be on the ground before I use my computer (grounded),
Oh yes, and while walking around I should be rubbing a dryer sheet that I have in my pocket (I may get arrested for this).

Do I have it right?

Will you come visit me in the asylum?

Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:41 AM   #13
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Longwell

So Waynem, if I understand the directions correctly, I should:
Raise the humidity (constantly boiling water?),
Put on some conductive shoes (from an orchestra conducter?),
Cover myself with hand lotion (OK for other body parts?),
Then either take off my shoes or cover them with aluminum foil (does this keep aliens away also?)
Wear a thimble on one of my fingers and walk around dragging it over all metal objects (guess which finger),
And finally, be on the ground before I use my computer (grounded),
Oh yes, and while walking around I should be rubbing a dryer sheet that I have in my pocket (I may get arrested for this).

Do I have it right?

Will you come visit me in the asylum?

Larry
That's Great Larry, hope you don't get sensored!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:45 AM   #14
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Randye,

I remember that we had this on our rig when we first had it. We used the Downy in a spray bottle thing for awhile. Then it just seemed to go away. We've not had that problem in several years.

And there are several of you on here that missed your calling in life...... you should have been comics! There are some real funnies posted.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 08:47 AM   #15
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
I sincerely hope Randye got the answer he needed on this thread, and I hope he forgives the fun, but I've sure enjoyed the chuckle on these posts.

bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #16
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Larry,

Unfortunately they will not let me near an asylum. So please, please, send me a picture when you have all the bases covered at one time. It would be worth MORE than a thousand words.

I'm statically challenged.

Edited: Murf, when people asked me what I did at NASA I told them I was an astronaut, I TOOK UP SPACE - but I have been dis"charged."

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:56 PM   #17
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
With this kind of advice for a NASA guy I'm beginning to believe those guys that think the Moon landing was fake.g
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote