Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2009, 02:58 PM   #21
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
fiddledd,
I did drive a srw 3/4 ton and pulled a fifth wheel for a short time years ago and it pulled fine, but I'm a belt and suspenders kind of guy and when I was looking for a tow vehicle for our new fifth wheel, I wanted duels. Logic and physics tell me that four rear wheels and a wider wheel base are more stable plus they will carry more weight. I drive the duelly daily for work and love it. Vickie has driven the duelly and she doesn't have a problem with it. Granted, it takes a little getting used to due to the extra length and it's "hips" but it's not that bad. I drive it and park it anywhere I want. I might be a little farther from the front door of the store but the walk is good for me. It all boils down to your comfort level. Many people pull with 3/4 ton and 1 ton SRW and have for a long time. I wouldn't pull with anything else but this is just my opinion. I hope I've helped.

NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:07 AM   #22
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
blamb Are you still here. I know I'm a little late but here is my two cents. I'm doing the very same thing and a couple things come to mind. If you have slides (I have 2)the large slide has a ram that drives the large slide,I don't run my slides in and out because it's just a pain so I have found the ran will rust(not good)so I just coated the ram with grease. In the winter your heating bill will go through the roof,I just learned to live a cooler life. Things like window film work but I like my windows I like to ghange the air. At this point I don't have a truck so if I want to move I will just call a tow service(why spend the money on the truck I don't need)they are not that expensive. Depending on how long I sit here I will replace the tires they get old just sitting even though they look new.All and all I think the RV is the way to go.
crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:46 AM   #23
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by crandallbradley

blamb Are you still here. I know I'm a little late but here is my two cents. I'm doing the very same thing and a couple things come to mind. If you have slides (I have 2)the large slide has a ram that drives the large slide,I don't run my slides in and out because it's just a pain so I have found the ran will rust(not good)so I just coated the ram with grease. In the winter your heating bill will go through the roof,I just learned to live a cooler life. Things like window film work but I like my windows I like to ghange the air. At this point I don't have a truck so if I want to move I will just call a tow service(why spend the money on the truck I don't need)they are not that expensive. Depending on how long I sit here I will replace the tires they get old just sitting even though they look new.All and all I think the RV is the way to go.
I would suggest you use spray silicone, there is no residual mess, and that grease can look pretty bad on the carpet inside.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:57 AM   #24
crandallbradley
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5044
Just looked back here to see whats going on,WOW my spelling! need to go back to school.AS for the grease take a good look it will not get inside.
crandallbradley is offline   Reply With Quote