Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Full Timing in your Montana
Click Here to Login

Old 12-22-2008, 11:51 AM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
When washing clothes.......

........in sub-freezing weather, it is very important to make very sure you discharge line is not frozen. If you don't double check it, you may find yourself madly mopping up rinse water from your floor.

I thought I had cleared the line before retiring last night, however, I did not check it this morning and when the rinse cycle began so did the mad mopping. After all that was cleaned up, I spent over an hour deicing the sewer line with a hair dryer. It never got above 34 degrees and that for about and hour before dropping again.

The good news is the line is now clear and that load and another have been washed. It still is to be about 20 degrees overnight, but the washer is off limits until we are above freezing again.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 12:20 PM   #2
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Good thing you got it unfrozen and have clean clothes to wear for Christmas!!

I think there is a lesson in there also.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Where did it freeze? Up by the elbow?
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 01:49 AM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The freeze was in the line from the rig to the campsite sewer connection. The hose trails downward and then back up to the connection leaving a low spot in the hose for water to collect. The water in the hose was clean so froze easily.

As I said, I thought I had chased it out of the line, but evidently not. Then the entire line was full of soapy water, so I had 20' of frozen sewer line. Remember, I have Sewer Solution, so it was not a 3" diameter block of ice I was dealing with.

Sometimes advantages can become disadvantages. Because Sewer Solution pushes effluent up hill, I don't have to worry about getting a downward slope on the hose like you do with a "stinky slinky". In freezing conditions, that leaves an opportunity for collection of a little of the final rinse water in the low spot on the hose, hence the need chase it out of the hose.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:20 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Ahhh - OK. I can picture what you are saying now. For some reason I thought maybe there was a low point at the elbow where it comes down out of the belly which was giving me concern. It shouldn't be a low point, but I always find out the hard way.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote