Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2008, 05:41 AM   #1
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Michelin XPS RIB

I need 4 new tires and thinking of Michelin XPS RIB 235/85/R16 Load Range E. What are the reports from these tires good or has anyone had problems with them.
Since these aren't made in China I'm leaning on ordering them next week.
I have 80 PSI rims so Load Range G is out.
At $249 a tire I want these to last the 3-5 years.
Hugh

HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:03 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
If you have the 6K axles - those ribs seem to be one of the most popular replacement tires on the RV.net forum for all rigs.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:56 AM   #3
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
I don't have the Michelins on the Monty but they came on the Dodge. That was 4 1/2 yrs and 105,000 miles ago. Before we head to Texas I will be replacing them with new Michelins. Not on ioda of problems in that time. Well worth the cost. I rotated them every other oil change and used Michelins pressure recommendations and changed when towing or not.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:56 AM   #4
Tincup703
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6385
I just replaced my Missions two weeks ago with Michelin XPS ribs. We put about 500 miles on them last week and couldn't be happier. One of the first things I noticed about the Michelins is the unit no longer feels mushy (for lack of a better term) when cornering or making a hard turn.

AND the best part was while at the tire place having the new tires installed some old farmer asked to buy my Missions to put on his hay wagon, which I more more than happy to sell to him!
Tincup703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 01:44 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
As I posted earlier, I changed out the Missions with less that 1000 miles on them. I opted for those exact tires that you are thinking about for my 3400RL. We went 6400 miles on them - and then I sold the Hanna. No problems with them. They are a little taller by about 1 inch but I never had anything rub.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
If price doesn't bother you, the Michelin XPS Rib is probably the most dependable load range E tire on the market. Very high mileage, like most Michelins, and because of the all steel construction, more resistant to sidewall failures.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 02:56 PM   #7
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
Lonnie ,,, would you put them on your truck or stay on the bf goodrich as i have 20" tires sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:32 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
I used to run Goodyear Wranglers on my truck for years until a friend showed me how well the Michelins wear. I'm getting 50,000+ miles on my tires and only replace them because of age, not tread wear. For the rig, ask Lonnie. He and I both have the same Bridgestone tires on our Montanas and they are holding up better than any other brand of tire I've run on the rig in the over eight years of full timing. When I'm talking about full timing, I'm talking about a lot of travel. Except for this past year, recovering from back surgery, we are on the road almost continually. By that I mean we are going from place to place and only staying about two weeks in one area.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 04:30 PM   #9
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Quote:
quote:Lonnie ,,, would you put them on your truck or stay on the bf goodrich as i have 20" tires sailer
Unfortunately John, the XPS Rib is only available in about 2 sizes, and 20 inch isn't one of them. Would I put them on my truck? If I stayed on pavement all the time I might consider them, but I spend way too much time off road in mud and snow, and the rib tread tire doesn't have near the traction I need. Besides, they aren't available in my size either, LT265/75R16. Only LT235/85R16, and LT245/75R16 that I am aware of.

Quote:
quote:I used to run Goodyear Wranglers on my truck for years until a friend showed me how well the Michelins wear. I'm getting 50,000+ miles on my tires and only replace them because of age, not tread wear. For the rig, ask Lonnie. He and I both have the same Bridgestone tires on our Montanas and they are holding up better than any other brand of tire I've run on the rig in the over eight years of full timing. When I'm talking about full timing, I'm talking about a lot of travel. Except for this past year, recovering from back surgery, we are on the road almost continually. By that I mean we are going from place to place and only staying about two weeks in one area.

Orv
Tuesday of this week I had the opportunity to see a set of Bridgestones I installed on a Montana in March of this year. It belongs to Grant, Kathy, and Raider the Wonder Dog (BirdingRVer). The tires have around 15000 miles on them if I remember right (maybe 18000), on roads from Texas to Arizona, California, Canada, Alaska, then back down through the Southern US. We removed the tires to pack wheel bearings and check the brakes, which gave me the opportunity to give give them a very thorough inspection. They still looked new, with no signs of damage anywhere, and no unusual wear.
This is why I run them on my trailer, and why I have recommended them to several others. I also run Bridgestones on my truck.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:29 PM   #10
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
I am no tire expert, but just for the record, I replaced my original tires (Tacomas) with Japanese Yokohama Geolanders. These tires seem to be standing up well, but like I say, I am not an expert, just your average joe tire user. Maybe Lonnie would have some thoughts on these tires???
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:02 PM   #11
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Quote:
quote:I am no tire expert, but just for the record, I replaced my original tires (Tacomas) with Japanese Yokohama Geolanders. These tires seem to be standing up well, but like I say, I am not an expert, just your average joe tire user. Maybe Lonnie would have some thoughts on these tires???
John, I am no tire expert either, I learn something new everyday .
Actually, Yokohama makes a very good tire, at east they do in the 18 wheeler series. If their LT series are anything like their big brothers, your rolling on quality tires.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:48 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have no doubt the Michelins are excellent tires. I think we all know that. I might put them on this Montana now that I have the 7k axles but I would be hesitant to do so if we still had the old 6k axles. The reason is we had alignment problems with the 6k axles and I couldn't tell we had a problem until I saw serious wear on the tires. I'd sure hate to ruin a tire that cost that much money. With these 7k axles the tires seem to be wearing very well and very normally after 2 or 3 thousand miles. Just food for thought for those contemplating these tires on 6k axles.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:09 AM   #13
Texas5er
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7143
Replaced my Mission tires after one year on the Montana. Put 7500 miles on them since August and can't be happier. I also have Michelin tires on my Dodge. With 46000 miles on them they still look like new. Met a couple of Montana owners during our trip this fall that had tire failures with Missions. All had extensive damage to their trailers. I am glad I switched to Michelins, the piece of mind is worth the expense.
Texas5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #14
wild willy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8295
We are in Alamogordo New Mexico and the NanKang tires are looking real ugly. Was wondering...the Michelin XPS RIB 235/85R16....what does the XPS RIB stand for? I got a quote today on LT235/85R16/ LTX M/S. Are these a different tire? Help anybody?
wild willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 03:05 PM   #15
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
wild willy

The XPS is an all steel ply constructed tire. Rib, is the tread design, also known as highway tread. The LTX M/S is not an all steel constructed tire, and M/S stands for Mud and Snow tread. The sidewalls on the LTX M/S are much softer than the XPS, but both tires are Load Range E, or 10 ply rated.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:39 PM   #16
wild willy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8295
Thanks a bunch for the info LonnieB. Will do some more checking around town tomorrow.
wild willy is offline   Reply With Quote