Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-03-2008, 04:24 AM   #21
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
It is correct that the Superglide needs to hitch at 8 degree angle from centerline. However, it is possible to unhitch at any angle you maneuver into.

illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:59 AM   #22
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Jay, we too are fairly new to the MOC. Relying on many moc input responses, self-evaluating and discussing with more than one RV dealer, even one that didn't sell the SuperGlide, we ultimately purchased an 18K Superglide for our shortbed 2500HD Chevrolet. I was fortunate to purchase the entire mechanism which includes the Hitch, Quickconnect Capture Plate and the SuperRail mounting system on the internet. It was shipped directly to my dealer and installed by them. My dealer does not sell SuperGlide but did an excellent installation job. The product is expensive but the internet "buy" really brought me into the ability to own.
I also believe that many MOC owners with other products genuinely have good hitch products. It really does come down to your decision. Safety and affordability are key in that order. Good Luck. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:02 AM   #23
borfaloo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5608

I have the 18k super glide. I did lots of research on the available options and decided it was the best for my personal situation. I was very frustrated at first as the hitch is less forgiving than my old reese was in my longbed. Once I learned the parameters that the hitch requires you to use (16 degrees etc) I settled down a bit and now I really am thankful that I got the super glide. I did get a great deal on the hitch as I was buying a truck at a dealership that has both truck and rv operations, having said that I would never go any other way with a short bed.

My opinion and mine only.

Sean
borfaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:57 AM   #24
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Great info, thanks everyone. Marilyn & I are taking delivery of our 1st 5er this week or next, a 2008 3400RL. We have been RVing for almost 2 years with a TT so I was very interested in learning about hitches. I have seen enough claims (I'm in the insurance business) to validate the points about the slider hitch. I was surprised that the new front panel did not correct the problem however....

I haven't reviewed the hitch options yet with the dealer so it will be interesting to see what they come up with.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 12:54 PM   #25
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jay D.

I guess I might be considering the cost. Thats the old tight wad in me. LOL I am going to splurge and get an 09 Dodge 3500 and an 09 Big Sky 340. We're about 15 months away from full timing. Thanks for everyone's input. The pictures sure tell a story. With all the different life expienerence's everyone has to offer; there isn't a topic that we can't get good sound advice on.
Thanks again !!
Jay D.
Jay, Do what I did, after you are through with all the negotians on that Big Sky casually mention that you also have a new truck without a hitch and could they throw on in on the deal. After they agree to this again casually mention that you would like the PullRite Superglide. Now I was actually expecting to pay the difference between the Reese and the Superglide and could not believe it when they threw the Superglide in at no addition cost.
It never hurts to ask.

Glenn
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:57 AM   #26
quarrles
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7626
I think we "overkilled" this one but we had the PullRite 18K superslide installed on our 2008 Chevy 3500 CC DRW long bed. We read almost everything we could find about the Superslide and it just seemed the "auto" function was the best choice for us. I am physically limited so the auto slider was the obvious choice. We had some issues with the Reese 16K slider on the older truck, probably my fault or limitation not being able to put any real strength to the slide actuator on the Reese, and Val is 5'3" limiting her reach into the dually. Think you will like the PullRite, we do.

Best...John
quarrles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:36 AM   #27
6.7 CTD
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8114
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by gitrdun

You can get the new remote acuator for your sliding reese hitch and install and have a hitch that you can slide without leaving the cab of you tv and hook and unhook at an angle. For a lot les $$$$$$$$$
I would be very interested in this remote actuator you speak of ..........problem is , I can't find it on the net any where....any ideas on where to look.
6.7 CTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 02:54 PM   #28
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I love my short box, especially since I have a crew cab. I have a slider but failed to slid the 5er back trying to get out of a tight space and cost me a rear window. I thought I could make it. GET THE SLIDER!!! Or at minimum a extended pin box. I am going to end up with both.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 03:48 AM   #29
4 beader
Established Member

M.O.C. #8190
Good morning from Houston! We are new to the MOC, and really appreciate all of the kind words of welcome.

We ordered our new 3400RL 10th Anniversary this past week and are sitting on pins and needles waiting for it to arrive. I have searched the forum topics extensively and have finally been convinced (through all of your great advice) that I do indeed need to go with a Pullrite SuperSlide hitch as opposed to a manual slider.

My TV is a 2008 F250SWB King Ranch PSD. Through my readings it seems like the vast majority of Pullrite owners have opted for the 18k version. As we are coming out of a TT, I am not that familiar with 5th wheel hitches. Now my question: Pullrite makes a 14k that I could save a few dollars and extra weight with, what do you experienced folks recommend? Many thanks.
4 beader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 02:13 PM   #30
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
14K is cutting it close but within the specs in most cases. But if there was a future upgrade it might not be adequate. At which point would have to shell out full price again.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:07 PM   #31
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
In my opinion, if you have the new nose on a Montana you can "get by" without a slider if you are very careful. I've used our slider four times in 13 years, none with our new nose Montana. However, I should have used it a couple of weeks ago. That would have been the fifth use and the first with the new nose Montana. By not using the slider, I now have a dimple about two inches on the vertical sheet metal on the back of the cab of our Dodge, next to the window glass. One of those very narrow sites with a very narrow access road got me. I was doing just fine until the truck started backing up the rising curb at the front of the site and caused the cab to kiss the Montana. Fortunately it's just a dimple. Nothing seriously damaged. Thankfully.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 02:48 AM   #32
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
I just spent 3 days at Silver River State Park (Silver Springs, FL). One of the other campers there had the same rig as me and we spent several hours chatting about our Monty's. This is his 3rd 5er and has been pulling and full timing in his Monty for just over a year. He currently has a manual slider. On Monday he is having a Pull Right installed. He told me he is just too concerned about forgetting to stop and engage the slider. Why get it now? He spent several hours in a WalMart parking lot waiting for parked cars to clear out so he could make the tight turn necessary to exit the lot. He didn't think his current manual slider would have given him the needed turn radius he felt was required. He also said prior to this incident he only had to engage the slider 3 times.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008, 05:45 AM   #33
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
With the manual slider I can turn 90 degrees with ease, so I don't think that would be a problem. But using the manual slider can be a pain and it is easy to gamble, thinking you can make the turn without the slider. I have done that many times. And, as I said before, I now have a dimple in the truck cab sheetmetal that shows what can happen when the unexpected happens. Yes, I could do the turn just fine, if the entire area had been flat. But when the truck tipped just a bit backing over the slight curb of the campsite, well, the dimple shows what happens. For that reason I'm giving serious thought to getting the Sidewinder pinbox coupler from 5th Airborne. Very serious thought. I have just a couple of questions remaining before spending the money. CW sells it at a President's Club price of $752 plus $79 installation. Far cheaper than the Pullrite and it doesn't eat up lots of room in the truck bed. Just an alternative for thought. www.fifthairborne.com . Or, for less than the Pullrite you could get the sidewinder AND the air-ride pinbox from Fifth Airborne. Camping World sells and installs both. Just food for thought.

A couple more advantages of the Sidewinder -

1. Unlike the SuperGlide (which requires you be nearly straight on to hitch up) you can hitch to the sidewinder at any angle.

2. The Sidewinder moving the pivot point causes the trailer to track closer to the truck's track, like a travel trailer. That reduces the need for wide turns and reduces the number of curb collisions (a plus for me )

3. The pivot point being further aft makes the FW react more quickly when backing up, whether into a site or just around a corner. Easier to back into a campsite, in other words.

The SuperGlide is a good choice, don't get me wrong. It's just that for my money, there's a better alternative at a cheaper price. This is one of those things you go with what you are most comfortable with. Good luck, whatever your choice.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote