Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2008, 12:18 PM   #1
JohnAprilandMeagan
Established Member

M.O.C. #5303
2005 6.0 PStroke - Noise?

A question for 6.0 powerstroke owners..on my 2005, which only has 12,000 miles to date, when i first drive it while engine not up to temperature it makes a strange noise when you are in a very hard acceleration (turbo spooled up pretty high) and then suddenly let off the gas. Only makes the "sound" when you let off the gas. It's sort of like a puffing sound like some kind of back pressure letting off. It's done it ever since I got it but just really started wondering about it recently with the extreme could here in Atlanta over the past weekend. Anyone else know the sound and is it normal?

JohnAprilandMeagan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #2
Wiarton William
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7790
Does it sound like the fanblade hitting the plastic shroud?? I have had it and a few others that have I know have had it.....dont really recall what it was.....it was a common noise....
Wiarton William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:31 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I am not sure what you mean. The 6l is noisey when it is cold almost like it is under a strain it should quieten down after it runs a few minutes. I dont know about the puffing sound.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:50 PM   #4
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
That sound is usually referred to as turbo bark. Makes a kind of huffing sound. You should really wait for the engine temp to rise before any hard application of the throttle.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:49 PM   #5
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
What clutch said!!. my dodge does it all the time if you are in a pull or ecceleration and drop off the pedal fast. Its the turbo. bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:23 PM   #6
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
I've always heard it called a turbo fart! Don't do push a turbo diesel until it is warmed up completely. The temp gauge only measures the radiator fluid temp. The oil, trans, and differential temps may take even longer to come up to temp. Be cool for the first 10 miles or so.
rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:34 PM   #7
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
Sounds like the waste gate on the turbo is dumping.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:41 AM   #8
borfaloo
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #5608

Yep sounds like turbo bark/fart. My 05 does that as well. As stated it does it when the engine is pretty much cold. It is not what I would normally associate with a waste gate dump.. Then again I only really have gasoline performance car turbo experience to draw on ( the waste gate on those always sounded like a whistle or tweeting sound so I guess it could be the heavy diesel version)

I know the sound worried me at first until some research on the forums revealed the source.

Sean
borfaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 06:07 AM   #9
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I agree with the turbo bark/fart. It has been discussed at length on some of the Ford truck web sites.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 05:26 PM   #10
rubble express
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6477
None of the 6.0's have a waste gate. They have a variable vane turbo that simply "flattens" out the vanes instead. The turbo uses high pressure oil to operate the vanes and change their angle of attack. The fuel injectors also use high pressure oil to operate properly. This is the one engine that actually does run better with a fresh oil change! There is some controversy as to whether synthetic oil has the same hydraulic properties as petrolium oil. It (synthetic oil) does probably lubricate better and can go longer between oil changes, but alot of people (including Ford) don't reccommend it in the 6.0 because of how it affects both turbo and fuel injector operation. I know for a fact that different viscosities of oil (15w40 vs 10w30) affect how the engine runs in cold weather. I know this kind of got off topic but I think it's important for everyone to know that fresh oil is more important to the Ford 6.0 than it is to any other type diesel. The turbo fart that one might think is a waste gate opening is really just the vanes flattening out and a little extra boost coming back through the intake system. If it's just an occasional hiccup when the motor's cold I wouldn't worry about it. If it's more than that, or becomes more noticable under heavy loads, you may have some turbo issues. That is not unheard of with the 6.0's extremely complicated turbo system. That's why Ford went with the simple 2 stage turbo in the 6.4's. The only moving part is the bearing.
rubble express is offline   Reply With Quote