Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2007, 07:41 AM   #1
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Air Bags

Does anybody have the airlift suspension bags on a Chevy 2500HD with a Superglide hitch? Dick is concerned how they will connect? Even better anyone with photos?

I thought Glenn had them but I am not sure? So even though this is a holiday weekend is there anyone around with this combination?

Patty

RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:26 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
First of all, Where have you 2 been?? Haven't seen ya in months.

Anyway, yes I do have the Firestone AirBags and I love them. I did mount my own and they don't come any where near the hitches frame brackets. The air bags mount between the frame and the axle. If you look you will find a big rubber thingy, I think it's called a snubber. You will remove that snubber and the air bags take it's place. They also say they can be self installed in just a couple hours BUT NOT when you are as big as I am It took me 4 hours. Also I found it is not necessary to remove the tires as you will be working under the truck the entire time and the tires were not in the way. Just place the jack under the rear end yolk, chock the front tires and jack'er up. It really should be a cake walk for Dick.
No I did not go for the optional air compressor, which adds I think a couple hundred dollars to the price, as I already have a compressor in the Monty. I inflate when I hook up and unless I am staying for weeks at a time I do not deflate the bags.
Also found the best prices on the Internet but for the life of me I don't remember who I got them from.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 08:39 AM   #3
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
thanks for the info glenn, have been thinking about them for a long time. probably going to go ahead and give them a try, thanks again.

dick
Old 05-26-2007, 09:19 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Got a photo...

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 11:38 AM   #5
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
thanks for the pic glenn one other question, do you notice any difference in the ride when not towing?

dick
Old 05-26-2007, 12:47 PM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Patty, as Glenn said, it makes no difference what hitch. The airbag brackets are designed for each vehicle. We have them on our Ford F250.

As for ride, Glenn can speak for GM but it's likely the same as for my Ford. I see no change in ride when solo. However, the manual says to keep 5 psi in the airbags when not towing so they don't get damaged if the suspension should bottom out. With the suspension on these trucks I see no way I'd ever bottom it out when solo so I run the bags down to zero and have done so for years and many miles without a bag problem. If I run 5 psi in the bags it does ride slighly more firm.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 01:29 PM   #7
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
PATTY? Hey steve, I know I have long hair but do you think I type like patty ,cant understand with three whole posts you'd, think I'm patty, just kidding around. Thanks for the info on the airbags,been thinking about them for some time, we need to do something, the old 2002 leaf springs are getting a little tired. Thanks again.

Dick
Old 05-26-2007, 02:09 PM   #8
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I found them for $235 delivered on EBay...

No idea what Firestone would want for them installed, but this seems to be a good price.

Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 04:11 PM   #9
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozzie

I found them for $235 delivered on EBay...

No idea what Firestone would want for them installed, but this seems to be a good price.

I paid $250 installed by CW in Oregon 3 years ago.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2007, 06:29 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Oops, sorry, Dick! I thought your fingers had never seen a computer!

(by the way, Patty's better lookin')
Old 05-27-2007, 12:40 AM   #11
gj4040
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7002
Dealers around these parts want $299.00 plus $185.00 installation plus 9.25% Tennessee sales tax which brings the total to around $530.00. I just purchased the Firestones for $265.00, including shipping, on the internet (bags are slightly more that the standard $233.00 internet price for the 05 Ford F-250) and installed them myself. Now I'm trying to figure out how much air to put in them.
gj4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 04:49 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dick, the onboard compressor with incab controls/gauge is not cheap but I've had it on two trucks and swear by it. It's not just a convenience item to initially fill and deflate the bags. When on the road and the pavement changes and we start getting some chucking action or just a rougher ride I can reach down and adjust the air in the bags. That improves the ride. It will not make it glass smooth but it will sure make it noticeably more comfortable.

Gary, just put 5 or so psi in the bags initially, drop the pin on the hitch and pull up the landing gear, then add air until the truck is level to your satisfaction. Check the pressure when you remove the fifthwheel so you know in the future how much air to put in the bags prior to hitching up. Or, if you prefer, measure the pressure after dropping the pin on the hitch and lifting the landing gear so you know how much air to put in the bags after hitching. I always found it easier (lifting less weight) to air up the bags before putting the pinweight on the hitch so I air my airbags prior to hitching up.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:00 AM   #13
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
The AirLift bags are designed as NO DRILL devices on most model trucks.

The controller fits in a Chevy truck cubby hole just fine.

Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 07:40 AM   #14
k0nsa
Established Member

M.O.C. #7073
Send a message via ICQ to k0nsa Send a message via AIM to k0nsa Send a message via Yahoo to k0nsa
I just had the Superglide hitch and Firestone Airbags installed this week on my '06 2500HD and everything fit fine. Hope these photos help...

http://members.cox.net/nsahq/Supergl...e%20mounts.jpg
http://members.cox.net/nsahq/Firesto...gs%20mount.jpg
http://members.cox.net/nsahq/Hitch%2...wing%20pin.jpg
http://members.cox.net/nsahq/Supergl...ruck%20Bed.jpg
k0nsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 12:00 PM   #15
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Dick,
I am glad you started this thread! I too have been tossing the idea of airbags on the truck, looking at a few options and a heavier kingpin might be in the near future. Good to hear from you again...
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote