Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2021, 11:45 AM   #21
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
Well labradoodles are not far behind , they seem to need contact all the time .
Yes, you are correct, and they get that from the lab side. Labs and Goldens share the same lineage somewhere, and whoever that dog was, was needy!!!

Old 01-07-2021, 11:47 AM   #22
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornet28 View Post
A question for those having trouble with dog car sickness. Is the dog confined to a crate or free and able to move around. ...
I think that all of this is very individual dog dependent. It didn't make a difference for my daughter. They tried both the crate, and free roaming, and the results were the same. She just flat out didn't like riding in the car for whatever reason, but she was absolutely fine as soon as you stopped, and she got out of the car...
Old 01-07-2021, 02:03 PM   #23
hitdrd
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18743
Hi everyone,
My vet gave her trazadone, which is what I sometimes use for sleep. That being said I don’t want my pup sleepy all the time especially at training class.
I ordered 2 different things to try the first is homeo for pets travel sickness and anxiety and the second is cbd oil for pets. I will try each one and see what works. Anyone try these?
hitdrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 01:29 PM   #24
BMestas

M.O.C. #27560
CBD may calm her nerves and car sickness. Also try feeding her 2 hours before you travel if possible. Good luck and happy travels!
BMestas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 01:37 PM   #25
Rollingthunder

M.O.C. #21983
Big yellow lab

We have a big boy who started camping at 10 weeks. He was fine when he was little because he was on my lap. Once ha was big enough put him on the back seat with blankets but then would get sick. Now he’s 7 and travels fine. Must be the touch thing.
Rollingthunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 01:45 PM   #26
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
Talk to your vet. they will have car sick pills. We had the same problem when our Yorkipoo was younger. I don't remember the name of the pill, but it's by prescription only.
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 02:48 PM   #27
vipermanden
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18510
One thing not mentioned here so far, is clean up. We have had 8 Golden Retrievers over the years, and our last pair had visited 40 states and 2 provinces of Canada with us. The new Golden is 5 months old, and threw up a few times on our first trips. The key is to not feed them the morning of your trip, but give them small amounts of treats as you go, and if they do throw up, we have them in a crate with the plastic pan tray that comes out, and we always travel with spare towels, and paper towels, and a couple of gallons of water. Just pull over, throw the soiled towel or towels in a garbage bag, and seal it up, and take the pan tray out, and just wash it down on the side of the road, and put it back in with a fresh towel, and you are good to go. They usually do not want to throw up in their crate, but if they do, it is much easier to clean up, than if it is all over your back seat. They will definitely get used to driving and stop throwing up. It might take half a dozen long trips or so, but they will get over it. Once you are certain they are done with this, you can take the crate away, and give them the run of the whole back seat. Never gave any of our dogs drugs, just let them get used to driving, they will figure it out.
Old 01-10-2021, 02:51 PM   #28
BeckCass
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22689
Our dog travels just fine but we also have a cat that hated riding. She was in an enclosed travel kennel and drooled and cried the entire time. Our son got a ThunderShirt for one of his dogs that was anxious when riding in a vehicle and it helped, so we got one for the cat. It fastens around the animal to make them feel like they are swaddled. They also have a pheromone spray that is supposed to help calm them. It is sprayed on the area the animal will be, not on them. We also got an open kennel so she had a better view. We took both animals to Alaska and back in 2019, and my husband says the cat was the best passenger. (That's why I want to slap him sometimes). After a while we didn't need to use the ThunderShirt with her.
BeckCass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:28 PM   #29
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
We also have a new puppy a Schnoodle, while a little smaller breed we bought snoozer car seats for the puppy we have two styles

10 years ago had someone mentioned seat belting in your dog and I would have said you are crazy however now what we love about these Pet seats is they are buckled in.

https://snoozerpetproducts.com/dog-b...ats-lookout-1/

1. The Luxury Lookout I Dog Car Seat with Microsuede this is a elevated seat that allows the dog to see out the window this should fit your dog. (not our dog in pic)

2. we also have the Snoozer Console high back dog seat this is what we use most

Again our Puppy is a bit smaller but they offer several sizes for MED breeds.

here is a pic of our new pup she loves the e-bikes
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:41 PM   #30
jeririgged223
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26548
Have been both ways with this one. Some pups just need more exposure to get comfortable and that takes time and lots of trips / clean up. I found that my dog is most comfortable and quiet in a hard sided crate. She lays down and goes to sleep with no issues. Might try that as opposed to her just being on the seat. Unfortunately my parents had a cockerpoo that never could get comfortable and they had to give the dog up and find one that could travel.
jeririgged223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 03:53 PM   #31
Gunny B
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23153
Dog sickness

We would pickup our grand doggy and she would drool real bad and would throw up as well. We would give her a pill for sea sickness that you can pickup at a CVS or Walgreens and give it to her one hour before our travel. We also would ensure the back window of the F250 were down a bit so she could get some fresh air. Thank goodness she grew out that and now the babysitting of the grand doggy has less drama.
Gunny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 05:01 PM   #32
duane909

M.O.C. #19432
I had a sheltie collie that got car sick all the time. Tried all the things above and several others, in the end I just had to leave the air vents of full speed so that he could put his face in them and feel like he was actually moving.
duane909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:14 PM   #33
jrsemrad
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21904
Short rides works, but try a little sugar before the ride. Some say it works.
jrsemrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2021, 07:23 PM   #34
TheBigMC

M.O.C. #19128
They are just like us humans, regardless of the breed. As a youngster, I was always car sick, and as an an adult, still occasionally have issues. It does help to be able to look out and not be under “window view”. Meds just made me feel worse. Our Jack Russell had issues oft and on most of her life. Try a pup seat that puts them above window level so they can watch the world go by (don’t forget the fur baby seat belt!) ~ keep their minds looking at the horizon. A Benedryl MAY help for anxiety, but as a seasoned traveler, Dramamine sucks
TheBigMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 09:17 AM   #35
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Cool temps and fresh air help. Crack the rear window. It does help if they can see out the window. Like people, looking outside helps because they can look at a stationary object for a few seconds. If you have ever been sea sick, go topside and focus on the horizon. It works. If you go below, you can get even sicker. Same with animals. Our dog got sick one time. We worked with her on short trips, she eventually adjusted. She stays in her crate now and just takes a nap. Your dog may need to be able to look out the window. Some dogs never adjust and need meds. You need to give meds time to work before they get in the vehicle. Hopefully as they get older they will adjust and be fine.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pukes, puppy, travel