Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2020, 12:35 AM   #21
Flying Dutchman
Established Member

M.O.C. #25148
Hitch for your Montana

I am in the process of installing a hitch on my 3582RL Montana now. We are welding what amounts to a rectangular tubular bumper with a full-width sloped skid plate and hitch receiver. Total weight Will be about 160 lbs. I’ll be happy to share more info with you once we’re done with it.

Flying Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 12:45 AM   #22
Flying Dutchman
Established Member

M.O.C. #25148
Tow hitch

I’m in the process of making my own bolt-on bumper and hitch assembly for my 3582RL Montana. It will also have a full-width skid plate to help prevent damage to the bottom if it touches. We’re almost done welding the assembly. I’ll have it sandblasted and powder coated before bolting it on. The whole thing will weigh about 160 Lbs. If you’re interested I can share more information on it once I’m finished.
Old 12-21-2020, 12:49 PM   #23
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dutchman View Post
I’m in the process of making my own bolt-on bumper and hitch assembly for my 3582RL Montana. It will also have a full-width skid plate to help prevent damage to the bottom if it touches. We’re almost done welding the assembly. I’ll have it sandblasted and powder coated before bolting it on. The whole thing will weigh about 160 Lbs. If you’re interested I can share more information on it once I’m finished.
Same here modifying one for a friends fifth wheel. Its a class 4 Drawtite receiver hitch, brand new, never used ,we picked it up for $50. Its too short ,but has the three bolt brackets on ea. end, very easy modification . Its has 3"x3"x 3/16" tubing. I will cut off the brackets from each end leaving 4" of the 3x3 tubing ,and sleeve it with 2*1/2" x 2*1/2 x 3/16" tubing ,will actually make it adjustable ,if he wants to take it off to use on a future fifth wheel. Then we will layout the three hole bolt pattern, and drill the frame each side to bolt it on with three 1/2" bolts .

The hitch itself they way it is ,bolted to whatever is rated for 10,000 tow capacity ,and 1,000 tongue weight, it will naturally be less then that extended from 36" wide to 72" wide to fit the fifth wheel frame. Mine built similar is 5,000 tow capacity ,500 tongue weight. So this one is somewhere between . Plenty for what he wants to tow behind his fifth wheel .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 02:46 PM   #24
Flying Dutchman
Established Member

M.O.C. #25148
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
Same here modifying one for a friends fifth wheel. Its a class 4 Drawtite receiver hitch, brand new, never used ,we picked it up for $50. Its too short ,but has the three bolt brackets on ea. end, very easy modification . Its has 3"x3"x 3/16" tubing. I will cut off the brackets from each end leaving 4" of the 3x3 tubing ,and sleeve it with 2*1/2" x 2*1/2 x 3/16" tubing ,will actually make it adjustable ,if he wants to take it off to use on a future fifth wheel. Then we will layout the three hole bolt pattern, and drill the frame each side to bolt it on with three 1/2" bolts .

The hitch itself they way it is ,bolted to whatever is rated for 10,000 tow capacity ,and 1,000 tongue weight, it will naturally be less then that extended from 36" wide to 72" wide to fit the fifth wheel frame. Mine built similar is 5,000 tow capacity ,500 tongue weight. So this one is somewhere between . Plenty for what he wants to tow behind his fifth wheel .
That’s awesome my friend 😀. It seems there are too many different frame configurations to be able to use a universal design for all of them. What I am making from scratch is basically going to fit the 3582RL 40’ Montana with the 12” I-beam frame rails. Plenty of clearance for the water tank. Nothing in the way. Bolts on and off using twelve galvanized 1/2” hardened steel bolts.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:20 AM   #25
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dutchman View Post
That’s awesome my friend 😀. It seems there are too many different frame configurations to be able to use a universal design for all of them. What I am making from scratch is basically going to fit the 3582RL 40’ Montana with the 12” I-beam frame rails. Plenty of clearance for the water tank. Nothing in the way. Bolts on and off using twelve galvanized 1/2” hardened steel bolts.

Sure sounds like that will work. It appears with 12 bolts it shouldn't go anywhere .
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote