Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 10-21-2004, 05:17 PM   #1
Montana_1506
Established Member

M.O.C. #1506
draining freshwater tank

Can't find any detail on how to drain freshwater holding tank. Tried opening small caps on drain pipes that hang below trailer, some water came out, but neither freshwater tank nor hot water tank drained. Opened the taps too, in theory to allow air into the system so they would drain, but that didn't work either.

Is the valve that's by the pump part of the drain process. Should it be opened?

thx...jw

Montana_1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 05:34 PM   #2
Montana_381
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #381
Try turning the pump on while the taps are open.
Montana_381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 01:37 AM   #3
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jw, you don't say which model you have. Regardless, I think all Montanas have three drains below. If you drained the ones with two drains side by sides, those are the low point drains. Their purpose is to drain water out of the water lines. They're located at the low point in the lines, thus the name.

There should be another drain hanging down below the rig. It probably looks just like the low point drains but will be a single drain off by itself. It may be near where you fill the tank with fresh water, assuming the tank itself is nearby. Find that one and you should be able to drain the tank without problem. We've never had to open a tap or anything else to get it to drain.

Good luck. Let us know if you still have trouble with this.

The valve by the pump is probably the one used to select the clear plastic line as input to the pump. That's the line you put in a bottle of RV antifreeze to pump AF through the system. I hope this is what you're talking about. Usually water or AF flow is parallel to the direction of that handle.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 01:39 AM   #4
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
that should be it, steve hit the nail on the head.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 01:44 AM   #5
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bwhdp

Can't find any detail on how to drain freshwater holding tank. ... neither freshwater tank nor hot water tank drained. ...

thx...jw
There is a separate drain for the fresh water holding tank. (You should have three caps to remove when draining your trailer: 1) A low point drain for the cold water supply. 2) A low point drain for the hot water supply. And 3) A fresh water holding tank drain. If you post the model of your trailer I'm sure someone wil;l come along to tell you where that third drain cap is located.

You will find other recent discussions on this board about draining the hot water heater. But the only successful and sure way I've found to do it is to remove the anode rod from the hot water heater. You access the plug associated with the anode rod via the cover on the outside of the trailer. I think it take a 1 1/16" socket to remove this plug.

The valve next to the water pump should be (if like mine) the valve you turn to put antifreeze in the water supply lines using the water pump.

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 03:16 AM   #6
Montana_1506
Established Member

M.O.C. #1506
The trailer is a 3255 RL. I have only 2 drains on the bottom of the trailer, the front is hot water and the back is cold.

Draing through the faucets is obvious and fine, but takes time. Basically what I ended up doing was taking off the cold water cap on the drain pipe below the trailer and turning on the pump which pumped the water in a good fast flow stream out through that pipe.

It just seemed like there should be a gravity drain for the tank, but this worked fine.

Thanks for all the advice and at the very least I learned what the hose beside the pump is for.

thx..jw
Montana_1506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 04:49 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Jw, you're right that there should be a gravity drain there somewhere. Maybe someone with a 3255 is familiar with it and can help us out. If no replies in awhile, maybe you could post a new topic asking if anyone has the 3255, then asking about the drain in the body of the post. That topic might attract attention of 3255 owners if they don't see it here.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:41 AM   #8
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bwhdp

Can't find any detail on how to drain freshwater holding tank. Tried opening small caps on drain pipes that hang below trailer, some water came out, but neither freshwater tank nor hot water tank drained. Opened the taps too, in theory to allow air into the system so they would drain, but that didn't work either.

thx...jw
We have a 3255RL. The fresh water tank drain is the white cap under the trailer, near the sewer connection. If it isn't draining, (and assuming that it has water in it), there is probably some blockage. Try probing gently with a piece of wire of something similar. You might want to remove the FW tank fill cap to allow venting, but I have never had to on mine.

I think the valve near pump that you mention is the anti-freeze fill line, it should not have any effect on the tank draining.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 08:54 AM   #9
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
Everyone has hit the nail on the head. One other thing I find is that the freshwater tank drains best when you're driving. I've always found that draining when you're sitting still doesn't quite drain the tank. When you're driving the trailer obviously moves around and helps drain the tank completely.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 11:18 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
These drains have bothered me since I first learned about them. I too had no idea how to drain the freshwater tank until I posted the question on here over a year ago.

What doesn't make sense to me is, with all the improvements they have made to RV's and RVing WHY is it we still have to crawl on our backs under our rig to get to these ridiculous drains. There has to be a simpler way. Anyone got a better idea??
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 11:22 AM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Chester, I've thought about doing that but wondered about the drivers behind me. And maybe any liability I'd have if it somehow caused an accident or someone wanted to claim it did. So I've not drained it while driving. I wonder how many folks do that?
Old 10-22-2004, 12:00 PM   #12
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Chester, I've thought about doing that but wondered about the drivers behind me. And maybe any liability I'd have if it somehow caused an accident or someone wanted to claim it did. So I've not drained it while driving. I wonder how many folks do that?
AND what would other RVers think you were draining? My first assumption would be anything but freshwater.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2004, 03:11 PM   #13
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
I put valves on both low point drains and the fresh water so I don't have to deal with those white caps.My Jayco had low point valves in the front compartment and hose thru the floor worked like a charm.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:58 AM   #14
Tx welder

M.O.C. #24144
Montana 3255 rl tank leaking

I got a 2001 Montana grey water tank has a foot long crack in it. I'm patching it up right now but I'm wanting to replace the tank. Looking at the part numbers on the tank , it pulls up a different looking tank...my original tank has a flange all the way around it with a left side outlet... The one that the dealer is pulling up is a center outlet with no flange.... Will that work , if I rerun the plumbing ? Any help is greatly appreciated 🙏
Tx welder is offline   Reply With Quote