Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2018, 03:08 PM   #1
Dougcarey
Established Member

M.O.C. #20015
Broken frame on 2016HC

Any one had the frame on their fifth wheel crack and bend? Both sides at the shackles are broken and bent 2016 Montana High Country. No accidents. Any advice? Thanks

Dougcarey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 05:44 PM   #2
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
I would contact Keystone ! I would think it would be covered under their 3 year warranty program, but I don't know what their exclusions are. Research the 3 year warranty and go from there.
CarWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 07:24 PM   #3
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The frame is probably manufactured by Lippert. I would call them immediately.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 07:45 PM   #4
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
In a nano second

Pretty serious issue, not getting much mileage though. I`m just a little paranoid about frame problems and how to stave them off. Pictures would be nice. And would like to know what Lippert says. I called Keystone about adding shocks and would it void my 3 year warranty, they said to call Lippert I did and they said to call Keystone.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 09:53 PM   #5
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
bshgto … we've cussed and discussed the shock mod before. Unless you go with a design similar or equal to JoyRider … you're just spinning your wheels. (I'm not a fan of JoyRider)Most shocks mounted on any brand fiver or TT are installed at such a severe angle they hardly stroke an inch or two which does nothing. Take a close look at a fiver with OEM shocks if you can find one and study it for a moment … you'll understand what I'm trying to get across. Mor/Ryde's LRE suspensions, Equa-Flex bought out by Lippert , or EZ Flex by Dexter … (these are all OEM equalizer upgrades) all do a fair job of cushioning road shock.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 10:38 PM   #6
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
You are correct that the more the angle the less effect shocks become. I have the Mor-Ryde I.S. with the shocks at a near straight up and down movement which allows more cushioning. All rv's should have shocks with the roads we encounter . There is a lot of bounce on these rv's and if you had shocks with a more vertical angle then they would help smooth out the harshness. These frames take a beating on the highway.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:39 AM   #7
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
what a bummer

I installed the Lippert bolt on shock kit on my last unit but took them off before I traded and wanted to but them on my new camper but have not. I was able to get them to an angle of 75% efficiency according to the shock angle chart used for set up on race cars and was satisfied with that and felt it helped with the bouncing on our beautiful highways. Yes I have seen some shocks not that far from horizontal, so what's the point?
I have ordered the Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 suspension and will be here in a couple of days, it has 4” inches of extra travel to help with bumps it says….. we`ll see. I also installed the Mor/Ryde Xfactor cross bars for all 3 points to tighten up the shackles and frame to help with cranking it WAY OVER on a tight back in. I have the Reese 5th Air borne air ride pin box and the Andersen Ultimate to eliminate bucking chucking problems and help with frame shock, both of which voids my warranty according to Keystone. Pin box (frame modification) Hitch (unapproved goose neck modification) confirmed by a friend when he called Keystone. Of course they offered no explanation to the engineering reasoning behind that statement. Can't imagine why she didn't know. I even reduce tire pressure on the Sailuns to the actual weight carried pressure chart, confirmed by Cat scales to soften the bumps. HAHAHA yeh, I know I`m retired and have way to much time on my hands.
I really am curious what Keystone or Lippert will say he did to the camper to cause this it certainly won`t be the frame design. Ruff roads, modifications to the frame? I`m sure he just pulls it like the rest of us and the stupid thing falls apart. If his frame really is “Broken” or “Bent” it's gona be expensive or could be a total loss. I wish this fella luck with his repairs.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:14 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We removed the puny suspension systems on both our 06 3400 and this 13 3402 and installed the Mor Ryde IS system.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:38 PM   #9
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
A cracked frame issue is pretty serious and in the case of the OP, indicative of either overloading his HC or the horrible (shovel ready??) roads. A HC, depending on model will have a 10" or a 12" frame. Then to make things worse, some even have a 5200 pound suspension. which is ridiculous. That 5200 pound suspensio on an RV that can weigh in excess of 12,000 pounds is bare minimum and will not handle the weight if you are adding a genset, washer - dryer or a bunch of 'things'. Additionally, those spring shackles are pretty puny. Something like a MORryde X-Factor cross member will stffen things up - but on a HC, you may have a gas line in the way.

Contact Liffert for their warranty service

A shock kit on a HC - - not a good way to install them. The original MORryde CRE 3000 works well but their higher level versions may be better on larger or heavier units.

Oh and yes, we do have a HC and though haven't had any frame problems, now have X-Factors and a full 6K suspension with a rbuilt CRE3000
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:37 PM   #10
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
yep

And the world only turns in one direction
Old 07-20-2018, 08:51 PM   #11
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcarey View Post
Any one had the frame on their fifth wheel crack and bend? Both sides at the shackles are broken and bent 2016 Montana High Country. No accidents. Any advice? Thanks
Has anyone changed tires or has anyone jacked the trailer up at those points?
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 06:32 PM   #12
jloftice
Established Member

M.O.C. #13211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcarey View Post
We have a 2013 3402RL. We kept noticing the front closet wall popping out and the shelves dropping down. One morning while hooking up our truck my wife happened to be in the bedroom and saw the wall bulging out then straightening out again. Took a video and once we returned from our trip we took it back to our dealer. They followed Keystone's instructions and it was ultimately determined our frame was cracked. Keystone then had our unit picked up at from our dealer for repairs. It was picked up in October and returned to our dealer in late March as I recall. I asked Keystone what/where the crack was and for pictures with the damage along with pics of the repair. Answer was, "we don't do that". So to this day I don't know where the crack was or what was done in the repair. But at least they stepped up and repaired it with no prodding and at no cost to us.
jloftice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:05 AM   #13
fulltilt
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #16056
Hi Iloftice
I wish to comment about your front closet on your 3402, having owned one, I discovered that when Keystone built the front closet & shelving unit assembly that none of the vertical framing members had "point loads" to the floor, with the weight of your belongings pushing down, all of this was in essence, being carried by the 1/8" veneer, causing the staples to pop, & the bulging. I solved this problem by taking a 1"x6", vertically fastening it to the right side of the inside clothes closet with a hole in the top to bear the weight of the clothes rod, shape the top of the board to fit the closet upper curvature, making sure that the 1"x6" point load was firmly set on the closet floor. My wifes extensive wardrobe [LOL] & who knows what she puts on the shelves is now supported !!

FullTilt
fulltilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 06:58 AM   #14
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
Keystone is your best bet. But they will want u to start with going to a dealer first.
Is your trailer covered with the frame warranty...if so get it in.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 08:10 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by fulltilt View Post
Hi Iloftice
I wish to comment about your front closet on your 3402, having owned one, I discovered that when Keystone built the front closet & shelving unit assembly that none of the vertical framing members had "point loads" to the floor, with the weight of your belongings pushing down, all of this was in essence, being carried by the 1/8" veneer, causing the staples to pop, & the bulging. I solved this problem by taking a 1"x6", vertically fastening it to the right side of the inside clothes closet with a hole in the top to bear the weight of the clothes rod, shape the top of the board to fit the closet upper curvature, making sure that the 1"x6" point load was firmly set on the closet floor. My wifes extensive wardrobe [LOL] & who knows what she puts on the shelves is now supported !!

FullTilt
We have the 13 3402 same problem, same fix .We also replaced the puny staples with screws .That entire assembly failed on our first road trip.