Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2018, 01:15 PM   #1
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
Tire Traker Experience

I bought a Tire Traker Monitor system at the national rally last Sept. Last Monday I had a G614 failure,(30k miles) and did not know it until a passing car told me. No alarm from the system. Their tech support said that the monitor will only show pressure and temperature changes. The monitor still reads like there is a tire on the system with no issue with temp or pressure ( I have pictures). Once pulled over I found the tire completely shredded, running on the rim, down to the steel pieces and the monitor was gone somewhere back on the road. We were very lucky that the damage was very small so I do not believe that it was an explosive failure therefore there had to be something that should have shown up on the Tire Traker and at least when that tire’s monitor fell off there should have been an alarm. At this point this system does not do me much good if I do not get warnings. My son has a different system and it screams at him if the sensor comes off the tire. Anyone have experience with the Tire Traker system ?

Petmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:36 PM   #2
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
Does not sound right to me, we have the A1A Tire Minder system on our rig with temp and pressure alarms also. Did you install it your self ? I installed ours but watched the video procedure first and then followed the manual as I installed it, I had to set the sensor to each individual tire. There should be a M on your monitor indicating it is receiving the signal from the repeater.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:08 PM   #3
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Something not right with this picture. You have a tire pressure monitor that doesn’t tell you when you have a blowout. Something just ain’t right. Either it’s not set right or it’s defective. Let some air out of another tire and see if you get an alarm.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 02:52 PM   #4
drknapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9135
I remember that the early TST tire pressure alarms wouldn't let you know when a signal was lost (like when the battery dies ). I found out one time when I had left the monitor on and drove to the store. It was still reading pressure on all the tires even though I was 5 miles away. I remember emailing them about the issue. They have since corrected the issue on their newer systems.

I bring this up in case your issue was caused by a similar problem.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:33 PM   #5
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
Thanks for your comments. Tech support told me that this is “normal”. That the system will tell you about varying pressure or temperature but in the case of a failure and the sensor is “lost” that it will not right away notify you that something is going on. He went on to say that the monitor may not indicate e that a sensor is “gone” for perhaps 15 minutes or so. They sent me a replacement but that really doesn’t do any good if you are not made aware of something going on at the time it is happening. I am very disappointed in this system. There is no way this was a catastrophic failure or much more damage would have been done, therefore a decrease of pressure or increase in temperature must have taken place and to that the tech said that there may have been an individual sensor failure. I had the impression that the excuses were there for any failure in the system. Not a good system if what he says is accurate.
Old 06-04-2018, 04:45 PM   #6
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
I do a lot of traveling and I always check therm at fuel stops. i know this won't stop a blowout but never hurts to see if any tires are running hot. If you have a hot tire something isn't right. I just dont feel comfortable relying on TPMS's .
Glad you didn't have to much damage other a tire and wheel and such.
The Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 05:23 PM   #7
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
I think the company is feeding you a line of bs if you lost a sensor it would have been a loss of pressure and alarm should have went off. I would get a different monitor system.

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:32 PM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Other choices on the market!
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 10:06 PM   #9
whutfles
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17319
We have a Tire Tracker Monitor System we bought about 6 years ago. It's out on the RV so I can't tell you the exact model # but it states in our manual that you may have to drive 20 to 30 miles down the road when you start a trip before waking up the monitors for them to start transmitting. You can see this if your pressures and temps were high yesterday or on your previous trip and today you start out and it is cooler out. It will continue to register yesterday's readings for 20-30 minutes before they start to transmit. But once they start to register, if they loose connection like when I'm turning into a fueling station or a burger joint, my display in the truck will register 'PRESSURE LOSS" or something like that and blink red. I have checked the pressure with a guage and there is no loss. It will annoyingly continue to register that for another 20-30 miles down the road until that sensor starts transmitting again.

But they did save my behind a couple of years ago when I had 2 leaking valve stems and 1 broken cable in a tire. Don't know how long they were leaking but got me stopped before total loss of air.

On our trip South last year, all TPM's were transmitting when we arrived. We stayed there for 3 months then on the return trip home, 3 of the TPM's transmitted after about 30 minutes of driving and one did not. The next day the 1 was still displaying the 3-month old info. So I changed the battery in the TPM and after about 30 minutes of driving it started transmitting. It's just too bad that they don't zero out info from the previous trip so that you could be looking at zeros until they start working. It would also be nice if you could walk around your rig with your display and have it register how strong the battery was in each TPM. I hate to open them up and fiddle with the battery too much as I have had 1 go bad because the piece of flat thin metal that holds the battery in place let go on one side.

We had to install the booster in the front of our RV because the distance from the rear monitors to the display in the truck was too far.
whutfles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 07:42 AM   #10
Petmoose
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12532
Thanks whutfles for your perspective. I plan to start from scratch with the installation of the new sensor they sent me and reinstall all of the sensors. Interestingly they sent me a new battery for all six sensors also. The system is less than a year old and I thought the batteries should last much longer than that but I will change all of them and see what happens. If this “reboot” does not work then it will be a different conversation with Tire Traker.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:14 AM   #11
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
With the Tire Minder system they suggest you turn it on 20 minutes before leaving your location and to replace the batteries once a year. They also have a free battery exchange program if you register your unit upon purchase. Ours came with an extra set of new batteries and O-rings.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:50 PM   #12
jchw
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6712
I am reminded of the TPMS system I had, that the pressure transducers have to be sent back as their internal batteries go south after 5 years.
jchw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:16 PM   #13
Wiesehan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9711
Send a message via Yahoo to Wiesehan
TST

I’ve been using TST for over 7 years and they have saved me twice. After using them
two years I was so impressed that I became a dealer. No system is fool proof, but I’ve never heard of anything like what happened to you.
Contact me if you want to up grade.
Wiesehan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 05:34 PM   #14
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
I have a complete TireTrakker System, complete with 10 senors and the newest Monitor that I'll sell cheap.
I can drive for days without the trailer and it will still show the last pressure and temp that was recorded, and yes sometimes 20 to 30 miles before it will update.
Just installed the TST 507 using the discount code that was posted here recently. Looks like the TST will be head and shoulder above and beyond the Tire Trakker.
Old 06-11-2018, 04:15 AM   #15
Mr. C
Established Member

M.O.C. #21177
What was that discount code for the TST507 system? My brother has been running that system on his DRV 5th wheel for about 5 years with no problems. I going to buy one for my Montana before heading out this summer. A discount would be nice if available.
Mr. C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:32 AM   #16
margerush
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20713
we installed tire minder on our 2016 3160RL before we traveled from FL to Utah. Worked great. We noticed one tire was loosing air; it had a piece of metal in the sidewall. We had to buy a tire, but the tire minder saved us from any damage to the RV. Be sure to pair/pare each tire sensor to the in-cab monitor. The monitor should reflect each tire temp & psi.
margerush is offline   Reply With Quote