Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HEY KEYSTONE! > What I'd like to say if...
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2020, 01:59 PM   #21
EJacob
Established Member

M.O.C. #25812
I have the dish tailgater with 2 walleys and the pay as you go plan for about 90.00!
Works awesome every possible channel. Great money saver

EJacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 02:04 PM   #22
rayegelhoff1
Established Member

M.O.C. #23169
Dish 1000 trav'ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500KR View Post
Hello, I'm getting Ready to purchase a Wineguard Trav'ler 1000 Satellite for My 2018 3121RL, hopefully it will function better than my Pathway X2.

Purchasing from Camping World and they will be doing the installation. Aside from the total purchase/installation Price of $2,200.00, has anyone installed this Satellite on their 5th Wheel?

Lots of good reviews about this system. I travel about 6 - 7 months and my boss needs to watch her Hallmark TV, Happy Wife Happy Life..

I know the Pros/Cons about using a Satellite, however just interested on people's results using this set up.

Thanks John...
John,
I have one on my 16 HC 305RL, my experience is the reception is great, I tried a wally receiver was hard to get to work, stayed with the VIP211z receivers, they work great but have to add an external powered hard drive for recording.
Ray
rayegelhoff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 02:05 PM   #23
EJacob
Established Member

M.O.C. #25812
Hi I have the dish tailgater and 2 walleys with the pay as you go plan works awesome and for about 90.00 get. Every channel you could think of. Great way to save.
EJacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 02:21 PM   #24
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJacob View Post
Hi I have the dish tailgater and 2 walleys with the pay as you go plan works awesome and for about 90.00 get. Every channel you could think of. Great way to save.
If you also have dish in your home it cost much less, my two wally's in the Monty cost an additional $7 ea so I pay $14 per month and can stop and start as needed.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 02:27 PM   #25
GT500KR
Established Member

M.O.C. #10534
Appreciate info & I do have two VIP211Z receiver's that have worked good when I recieved a satellite signal from my Pathway x2 .... Dish is the service provider i will continue to use...

Will be having it installed by Camping World who uses a professional installer on March 9th..

Thanks again, John
GT500KR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:34 PM   #26
jofral58

M.O.C. #24865
Quote:
Originally Posted by KEG View Post
I have that unit and love it. We use dish with Wally HD receiver's fantastic pic quality. When we get to a location we call Dish and have them update to the local channels. Very Easy.
If using Dish Network, no need to call to change location if you have a smart phone. Download the free app off of the applicable store (Apple/Google), turn on location, login, then update location per simple instructions. Best thing Dish has done since we became customers!
jofral58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 04:53 PM   #27
sciortinosr
Established Member

M.O.C. #25008
Installed one last year extremely pleased. What receiver are you using?
sciortinosr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 05:27 PM   #28
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
I have the Trav'ler 1000 that I used with a VIP612 until I upgraded to a Wally DVR. If you move your Wally from home to the RV, you will need to perform the check switch function each time you relocate the Wally. Other than that, if works well. If the roof of your Monty is curved from side to side, be sure that the dish can be installed according to the instructions or you will risk damage to the dish and your Monty, I had to have aluminum wedges fabricated to fill the void between the roof and the base of the dish. The coax in my Monty works perfectly for the satellite system. My dealer (not CW) ran the two coax cables and the control cable across the roof and made a roof penetration above the fridge. The coax cables were terminated at the two connectors in the convenience center. The control cable was run across the pass-through storage bay and forward to where the drain for the washing machine is located. The control cable was then snaked up into the wardrobe where the control box is located. Such an installation does require the extender cable from Winegard.
Old 03-04-2020, 06:17 PM   #29
pitman44
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
You might look at the RF Mogul Eagle antenna. https://rfmogul.com/satellite-tv/ Great support and if something is wrong they ship the parts to you rather than removing and returning the entire unit. And should you ever decide to change from Dish to DirecTV (or Shaw) you can easily, and inexpensively, convert it yourself (once again no need to return to the manufacturer). I used a local guy to install and maintain and was very pleased.

Do they sell direct or through dealers?
pitman44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:46 PM   #30
GT500KR
Established Member

M.O.C. #10534
Quote:
Originally Posted by laverdur View Post
I have the Trav'ler 1000 that I used with a VIP612 until I upgraded to a Wally DVR. If you move your Wally from home to the RV, you will need to perform the check switch function each time you relocate the Wally. Other than that, if works well. If the roof of your Monty is curved from side to side, be sure that the dish can be installed according to the instructions or you will risk damage to the dish and your Monty, I had to have aluminum wedges fabricated to fill the void between the roof and the base of the dish. The coax in my Monty works perfectly for the satellite system. My dealer (not CW) ran the two coax cables and the control cable across the roof and made a roof penetration above the fridge. The coax cables were terminated at the two connectors in the convenience center. The control cable was run across the pass-through storage bay and forward to where the drain for the washing machine is located. The control cable was then snaked up into the wardrobe where the control box is located. Such an installation does require the extender cable from Winegard.
I appreciate your response with the detail installation instructions.. The person installing my Satellite has many years experience, i will provide this information to him.

Greatly appreciate this information, Thanks John.
Old 03-04-2020, 07:57 PM   #31
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
Originally Posted by jofral58 View Post
If using Dish Network, no need to call to change location if you have a smart phone. Download the free app off of the applicable store (Apple/Google), turn on location, login, then update location per simple instructions. Best thing Dish has done since we became customers!
Changing locals with the app will not work if you also have service to S&B. Have to call to change..PITA!
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 09:18 PM   #32
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by pitman44 View Post
Do they sell direct or through dealers?
RF Mogul will ship one to you or a local installer will get it for you.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:57 AM   #33
JAWs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21771
difference?

Hi John,
I to have a Pathway X2, excluding the funky initial setup, I've never had a problem and have been very pleased.
So I'm wondering, since you've had both, what makes the Trav'ler better?
Thank you for your time,
Joel
JAWs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 07:48 AM   #34
GT500KR
Established Member

M.O.C. #10534
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWs View Post
Hi John,
I to have a Pathway X2, excluding the funky initial setup, I've never had a problem and have been very pleased.
Thank you for your time,
Joel
Hi Joel, my wife and i watch different shows, which creates problems with the pathway x2 satellite system. The primary tv is in control of the secondary TV signal involving the satellites.

If both TV shows are operating of the same satellite signal, there isn't a problem. However if i change the channel to a different station on the bedroom TV, it will interrupt the other TV show signal ..

Plus set up with both TVs is problematic at times.

I am having the Trav'ler 1000 professionally installed March 9th, so we shall see if this system works & hopefully with less problems.

I will still be keeping my pathway x2 with us for Obvious reasons...

BTW we travel for six months moving about every 3 to 4 days...
Old 03-05-2020, 08:19 AM   #35
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWs View Post
Hi John,
Thank you for your time,
Joel
I got tired of not being able to record a different channel than the one we were watching. X2 can only receive one satellite at a time. The Traveler can receive all three satellites simultaneously. Using my Hopper 3 from home with the Traveler, we can record 16 shows at the same time.

Another benefit us that all of your prior recordings are with you in the reg.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:47 AM   #36
Dave10
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23030
It's all about signal to noise. The physical size is important. The smaller the dish the lower the lower the gain.
Dave10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 10:59 AM   #37
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
I got tired of not being able to record a different channel than the one we were watching. X2 can only receive one satellite at a time. The Traveler can receive all three satellites simultaneously. Using my Hopper 3 from home with the Traveler, we can record 16 shows at the same time.

Another benefit us that all of your prior recordings are with you in the reg.
The PORTABLE King Tailgater PRO has two wally outputs this also allows two TV's on two different channels. We also have a DVR option (it is a portable hard drive you buy from Dish) for our Wally's. So we can run multiple TV's on different channels and record one of them (or both if I had two DVR's, I can also pre load the hard drive with shows from our home system so we are loaded with content for our trip.

While not the full range of options as the Travl'r enough for us and saves us $2K installation and $100 a month vs $14. If we were full timers absolutely a Travl'r is an absolute.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote