Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2022, 11:37 AM   #1
DoctorD

M.O.C. #28048
Burn Marks Behind Microwave

After 4 years, our High Pointe Microwave/Convection Oven died. I replaced the internal 20 amp fuse, but it kept blowing so we needed to replace the microwave. When I removed it, we found the back of the microwave and the wall to be severely burned. Has anyone else seen this? Is this something to be concerned about before we install the new microwave?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	208.8 KB
ID:	13782  

DoctorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 11:52 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
I would say that microwave had really serious issues. Have not heard of one going meltdown mode, but it must happen on occasion. If it were me, i would just restore the walls tolerance to excess heat by covering that burn area with aluminum tape used by hvac people since it is self adhesive, easy to get, easy to apply. And get a microwave of better quality to replace the onevthat tried to burn down your trailer.
Old 12-04-2022, 01:40 PM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
This is not the first time I have read of this happening. When ours failed (2 years old) we replaced it with a Whirlpool, microwave only, we never used the convection oven function.
We did not see any scorch marks on the wall behind it when we removed the old one.
However, again, we never used the convection oven.
I'm wondering if perhaps using the convection oven causes this wall scorching?
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 04:01 PM   #4
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Yikes! That's scary. What brand MW was it?
Old 12-04-2022, 04:53 PM   #5
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
With the unit blowing fuses it's possible that it had developed some kind of short that caused the scorching. Since that's what fuses are for then you are fortunate the fuses did their job. I like the idea of using aluminum tape on the wall before installing a new unit...an ounce of prevention...
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 08:05 PM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Does the High Pointe have a rear vent in that area? My older different brand micro/convection had a metal duct from the rear up the back and across the top to vent that hot air out the front rather than inside the cabinet. I am of the opinion a convection oven must be vented outside the cabinet some way. Microwave only not so much.

That does look scary.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 05:00 PM   #7
sberlin
Established Member

M.O.C. #22049
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorD View Post
After 4 years, our High Pointe Microwave/Convection Oven died. I replaced the internal 20 amp fuse, but it kept blowing so we needed to replace the microwave. When I removed it, we found the back of the microwave and the wall to be severely burned. Has anyone else seen this? Is this something to be concerned about before we install the new microwave?
Had exactly the same issue. Discovered the old micro had the fan blowing outward which should’ve been connected to an exterior vent pipe. I covered the wall in heat shield and ensured the fan was set for self ventilation-I.e.-blowing to the front.
sberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 06:59 PM   #8
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
DoctorD - just curious…is that black thing in your photo covering up a vent to the outside? My unit has an exterior vent behind the microwave. I have never taken the microwave out so I don’t know what it looks like behind the unit. I went looking for videos showing folks replacing their Highpointe unit - and I found one from a guy replacing his in a Solitude 5th wheel (see screen shot). I noticed there is a heat shield taped to the wall in the same area of your burn mark. There is no vent in this Solitude.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	29C46AAD-FEDC-40F3-83EC-74F589EA1E20.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	13798  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 06:00 AM   #9
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Ours had an actual microwave plus a gas oven not a convection oven. With that said we have a countertop convection oven at the house. It gets very hot, possibly hot enough to scorch wood. I'm of the opinion that an enclosed, generally unvented convection oven with the very thin and low end wood used in RV cabinets is an incorrect application and is a fire waiting to happen.

Yeah, I know, no other oven in these current cost reduced, bottom line directed RVs - but how often is an oven actually used.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 07:02 AM   #10
doughazlett

M.O.C. #23465
Burn marks on wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorD View Post
Grand Design had the same problem with the High Point microwave / convection oven. Their fix was a aluminum plate on the wall behind the unit. The problem was driven when using the convection feature of the micro wave. Haven't heard of any problems since. The fix has been out since 2020 I believe.
doughazlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 12:00 PM   #11
oeeman
Established Member

M.O.C. #14662
A rule of thumb I was taught by an electrician. If you have to reset a circuit breaker or replace a fuse - never do it more than three times without finding out what the problem is. We had some major problems that could have been avoided by following this rule.
oeeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 03:44 PM   #12
bgjon56
Established Member

M.O.C. #33414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
This is not the first time I have read of this happening. When ours failed (2 years old) we replaced it with a Whirlpool, microwave only, we never used the convection oven function.
We did not see any scorch marks on the wall behind it when we removed the old one.
However, again, we never used the convection oven.
I'm wondering if perhaps using the convection oven causes this wall scorching?
What model Whirlpool did you get and from where? Did you have to cut the backsplash tile any?
bgjon56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 03:49 PM   #13
bgjon56
Established Member

M.O.C. #33414
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberlin View Post
Had exactly the same issue. Discovered the old micro had the fan blowing outward which should’ve been connected to an exterior vent pipe. I covered the wall in heat shield and ensured the fan was set for self ventilation-I.e.-blowing to the front.
Thinking about replacing my microwave/convection to just microwave. Is self ventilation a good way to go? If I use the stove below and need the fan on, won’t the hot air come into the kitchen. ?
Old 10-29-2023, 11:20 PM   #14
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgjon56 View Post
What model Whirlpool did you get and from where? Did you have to cut the backsplash tile any?
Microwave: Whirlpool model WMH31017HZ04. From Lowes.
Yes, I had to cut a little bit for the vent in the back to fit properly. You would think they would be universal fit for the vent.
Yes I had to remove the top row of tile under the microwave to make it fit.
Old 10-30-2023, 07:04 AM   #15
bgjon56
Established Member

M.O.C. #33414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
Microwave: Whirlpool model WMH31017HZ04. From Lowes.
Yes, I had to cut a little bit for the vent in the back to fit properly. You would think they would be universal fit for the vent.
Yes I had to remove the top row of tile under the microwave to make it fit.
What do you think about eliminating the rear vent all together and using the microwave with the recirculating feature.
Old 10-30-2023, 07:16 AM   #16
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgjon56 View Post
What do you think about eliminating the rear vent all together and using the microwave with the recirculating feature.
I guess that would depend on how often you burn something on the stove and the smoke alarm goes off. Our smoke detector goes of frequently just from cooking without burning anything so we turn on the microwave vent fan when we start cooking.