Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2022, 01:07 PM   #1
Floridaze

M.O.C. #31442
Battery box

Trying to check battery levels. Can't get cover top to clear hydraulic tank. '22 Montana rs 3791. Anyone else have this problem ? Am I missing something or is this another key stone engineering example. Any suggestions before I start undoing a bunch of stuff just to check levels?
Thanks.

Floridaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 01:36 PM   #2
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Been there done that...
If you look at your hydraulic motor and reservoir, they are mounted to a bracket.
The bracket is mounted to the wall. Undo the front screws of the bracket/wall screws and see if that gives you enough tilt to get the battery box Lid off.
If not take another screw out etc.
Once you do get the lid off, I moved the battery box forward to the front of the compartment. (there are screws in the bottom of the box mounting it to the floor).
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 02:20 PM   #3
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Just to add to what Daryles said, if you do move the box, make sure not to cover up the vent hole in the bottom. Any spilt water or battery acid can drain here as well as allowing the gasses to vent below.
When I went to using 2 golf cart batteries, I removed the original box and made a new one from a Craftsman plastic tote with a sealing lid. The lid clamps on, so it made it easier to check the batteries and add distilled water as necessary.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 02:30 PM   #4
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
The dealers install the boxes when they install the batteries, so it's not coming from the factory with boxes installed. I upgraded battery size several years ago, so purchased a new box, cut a new drain/vent hole in the floor for the vent nipple, and am able to pull the cover off easily. You can probably just relocate the box you have with a little effort.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2022, 03:45 PM   #5
MoblieHilton

M.O.C. #23902
Battery Box

I got tired of having to remove the lid to check water levels. I installed a flow-rite system for 2 batteries along with the hand pump fill. I drilled a hole in the lid to fit the fill hose through and keep a gallon of distilled water in front bay and once a qtr. I attached the hand pump to the fill system and squeeze till hand bulb is hard and done. Takes less than 2 mins to top off water levels. Good luck!!
MoblieHilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 11:14 AM   #6
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
same here

I relocated the battery box so I could get the cover off. Then a few months later I replaced all of the batteries with lithium and removed the box because I didn't need it. Go figure!
Old 12-08-2022, 05:06 PM   #7
pyoung47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20913
I believe there is enough give in the plastic box to force the cover off. That’s what I do. I wouldn’t dismantle anything.
pyoung47 is offline   Reply With Quote