Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2009, 09:23 AM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Superglide and 8 foot bed???

It's too hot, 88°, and humid to be outside and there is just so much work that can be done inside. I have pretty much caught up on all my puter stuff. I have become bored and my mind is wondering. Reading an earlier post about putting Teflon on the Superglide's way bars got me to thinking and as many of you know that can be dangerous.

Anyway, using my feeble mind I'm thinking, why not a Superglide in an 8 foot bed Now don't laugh but instead think about it. Having a Superglide automatic sliding hitch in an 8 foot bed could be advantageous. I'm thinking, it would allow more room behind the cab and tool box for taller items. Maybe even bicycles standing upright.

Does this sound logical or what

Now I do have broad shoulders and I can take criticism and not get angry because of anyone's vicious attack. And besides I never get mad I just get even.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 09:57 AM   #2
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Maybe I'm missing something, but you still have to tow with the hitch in the normal position. With my 8' bed our bikes go between the hitch and the rear window of the truck, against the forward edge of the bed...standing up.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:08 AM   #3
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
Glen

Well I have done two things that some will think I am stupid.

I have a superglide hitch in my 8' bed. It is there because I didn't want to give it away when I traded from my 3/4 short bed to a 8' DW.
Anyway I like it as I have two bikes mounted upright behind the cab with plenty of room. The front wheels are off the bikes though.

The second thing is I have air bags. Again I had these left over from my 3/4 ton truck. I put them on because my overload spring was slapping against the upper frame on rough roads. So I took it off and put the air bags on, not that I needed them. When set properly the air bags allow the trailer to just float over the bumps. I am hoping it will ease the stress on the trailer frame and I feel like it is. Anyway the ride with the air bags is very nice. You have to keep reminding yourself that there is a big trailer back there.

Chip

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 01:31 PM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

Maybe I'm missing something, but you still have to tow with the hitch in the normal position. With my 8' bed our bikes go between the hitch and the rear window of the truck, against the forward edge of the bed...standing up.
I understand but I would also have my rail to rail tool box directly behind the cab.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:37 PM   #5
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Glenn,
I think your idea would work but will your truck handle the extra weight you are going to add?
Did I ask that Question?
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 12:00 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
No wrong questions John.
If I did ever have an 8 foot bed it would also be attached to a 3500 SRW and the weight issue would not be a problem. Much the same as the weight issue for my 2500 is not a problem today.
Also this thread would not be necessary if GM would get their head out of their butt and build a short bed 3500.
NO! I am not contemplating, at least not now, trading my 2500HD but who knows when I might decide to once again update.
Old 05-07-2009, 12:08 AM   #7
2 Sinks
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6341

Glen- I took the Superglide out of my 3/4 ton 4x4 Dodge qc swb and put it in my Dodge diesel 4x4 1 ton qc dually/lwb when I moved up for a higher payload capacity truck.There appears to be plenty of room in front of the hitch for bikes.We have considerable bucks in our full suspension mountain bikes and keep them in the basement storage with the front wheels removed.

The Superglide works great in our lwb and even matched up with the existing frame holes.

2007 Mountaineer 336RLT
2006 Dodge diesel 1 ton 4x4 quad cab
2 Sinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 03:28 AM   #8
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I can see moving it from one TV to another, but not sure I would buy a new slider for an eight foot bed.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 09:52 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Understandale Stiles but I was thinking of the extra space possibly for bicycles or whatever.