Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2020, 12:06 PM   #41
JDDilly
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25257
I only use mine to add air to the air bags and for pool toys when the Grand-kids are there.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2020 Montana HC 381TH, Sailun S637
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 12:12 PM   #42
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
When i went on my first i went to 26 places. So you air up than get to your first camp ground and air down to drive around. Then you hook up again and air up. Then you get to the next spot and do it all over again. If you just camp and head to the lake and never air down to drive around than your air compressor is fine. If you travel like some of us do than that thing you got is a pain. Another thing is that compressor will not be of much use to air up a tire. Just look at how small the piston in there is. Then how many puffs of air do you think it will take to air up a tire. The higher the pressure the smaller the puffs of air is. I have tried to air up a tire and it took forever. Not to mention how mad it makes the guy camping next to you to listen to that thing pump air. In a emergency this may be ok I still carry my air compressor but its still under the seat. Mine has a 12 volt and a 110 volt cords.
First off you would be a fool to try and air up a flat tire with any hand held, pump however in a jam it will work just takes time. Regardless, what are the odds you would ever be in the position to fully air up a tire (you would swap for the spare and have tire shop do the repair), the Ryobi Hand held is designed to be used to maintain tire pressure so when you check your tires before you pull out and need some air this thing is fast and easy the Alirlift on board air system is only a dedicated pump which actually is not any bigger then the Ryobi pump mechanism. I keep the Ryobi in the front battery compartment of the 5er as my air bag fill is in the rear bumper. it takes no time to grab the pump and less than 1 minute I have filled my air bags. I do not care how often you air your bags up or down it is effortless.

I also have a Vi-air pump but that would be for big jobs only, I will likely remove it this year as they are heavy and every bit of weight loss is helpful. Besides I also have roadside tire service.

I also have a small air blower attachment where I can also use the Ryobi for small cleaning task. Then we use it to fill the Floaty's at the lake. We also have a Aquaglide Kayak and two Costco SUP's which are all inflatable while I do not use it for the initial fill I use it every few days to add a little air. We also use it to maintain and adjust the tires on our Ebikes. Turns out this little hand pump is used probably more than any other tool we carry...

I just cannot see the need for a built in pump that only services the bags especially since the bags are not used that often, maybe if I was a full timer but still I can take 1 minute of the day to fill and deflate my bags. Also if I was doing a lot of moving like daily I would not likely deflate for just a day or two.

When I ordered the Airlift 7500 bags for my new Ram 3500 (I just installed them 3 weeks ago) I did also order the Airlift pump for an additional $120 however after looking at the head unit and the room it required and what it would have taken to install and make it look like it belonged I returned it to Amazon as the Ryobi did the job just fine along with so many other uses around the RV... Note the Airlift pump install part is easy it is all the disimanteling of the dash and or console then find an open place to put the head unit as well as concealing the air lines in the cab.

Keep in mind on the airbags the bladders are very small say you pump to 30psi-80psi only takes a few seconds same for deflating.

Plus if you get an air leak with the Airlift pump you pretty much have to replace all the lines (all the way into the truck cab) since they are interconnected.

When i installed the 7500 Airbags I had one air line that leaked (at a fitting) and it only took a few minutes to replace. Had that been the pump system lines it would have been hours and a lot of interior tear down and I would have had to replace all lines and fittings.

By the way it will top off my 110psi tires with ease. Just used it two days ago on our friends Class A all tires were 15psi-5psi low it worked like a champ to air up those 6 huge tires to 110psi...
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:32 AM   #43
Santa
Established Member

M.O.C. #25576
Theunz,

There are more differences than just a leaf spring. On GM trucks the axle in the one ton has a 1" bigger ring gear and there are gussets to support the joint from the axle tubes to the differential housing.

Santa
Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:53 AM   #44
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
As always, people have varying needs or reasons for the choices they make. I bought my truck used and it came with the AirLift bags installed. I ended up adding the onboard pump. I found that there were times, depending on road conditions that I wanted to change the pressure a bit. I also need to adjust up to 80psi just to get in or out of my home parking spot to avoid dragging the landing gear. When leaving I can now pump it up to 80 and then release it down to our travel PSI of 30 without stopping.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 08:56 AM   #45
Theunz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18384
Santa, are you comparing a 2500 to a 3500 SRW or to a 3500 DRW? I have heard some say that the housings on the newer DRWs are more robust. Either way that doesn’t effect the towing characteristics.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:09 AM   #46
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
As always, people have varying needs or reasons for the choices they make. I bought my truck used and it came with the AirLift bags installed. I ended up adding the onboard pump. I found that there were times, depending on road conditions that I wanted to change the pressure a bit. I also need to adjust up to 80psi just to get in or out of my home parking spot to avoid dragging the landing gear. When leaving I can now pump it up to 80 and then release it down to our travel PSI of 30 without stopping.
I agree for some the onboard pump makes life easier. As I mentioned I ordered the Pump with my Airlift Bags from Amazon, after about 2 hours of trying to figure out where I could route and locate the pump and switch I decided to pass on it as the new trucks just do not leave any room for such a large pump control switch module and gauge and the routing from the cab back wold have required a lot of interior dismantling to make it fit then look right.

Then after installing my Bags (without the pump) I had an air leak in one of the airbag hose connections, fortunately I called Airlift and they quickly sent all new airlines and fittings (great customer service).

Replacing the single air line was easy and took about 20 minutes, however had I needed to replace the air-line with the pump installed I would have had to replace all airlines and it would have been a major job. The biggest complaint I have heard about airbags is the lines leaking air since the airlines are connected by push-in (non screw) fittings.

So for us not being full timers the pump not a big deal, if we were full timing moving often then the pump is a great addition.

I also see the advantage for those needing multiple adjustments on the fly.
Old 02-14-2020, 03:43 PM   #47
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Air bags or airlift will give you zero payload increase capacity. They will level out the truck.. I run Airlift 5000 set in my 2007 Duramax.

The ring gear on stock 2500 3/4 ton and 3500 1 ton stock are BOTH 11.5 in size with 3.73 ratio. The only difference in the two is 1 extra leaf spring
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:44 PM   #48
Jamesb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21011
Hey lightsout..... when looking for a place to mount the gauge and switch, if you have a center console that opens up, they mount in there really nice and outta the way. On Cheverolet’s, the very bottom of the console already has holes going out the bottom to run the airlines. But you don’t have a signature at the bottom, so I didn’t know what kind you drove.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:16 PM   #49
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesb View Post
Hey lightsout..... when looking for a place to mount the gauge and switch, if you have a center console that opens up, they mount in there really nice and outta the way. On Cheverolet’s, the very bottom of the console already has holes going out the bottom to run the airlines. But you don’t have a signature at the bottom, so I didn’t know what kind you drove.
I have a new Ram 3500 with the 13" screen so no room on the dash. The Console is huge however on the front there is a place for your phone with built in wireless charging so that area is used up, the console has a sliding tray with a moving divider so the side wall of the console is out. The back inside wall of the console was a possible option but would have been a major dismantle of the console. I simply did not want to install the pump switch and gauge where if I ever had a leak it would have been a night mare to replace the lines.

Keep in mind the wired compressor is not water proof so it has to be installed in the cab. I was thinking I could install the compressor behind the seats however in 2019 Ram 3500 Crew Cab I have the heated and cooled rear seats option and the seat back to not fold down, you have to remove the seats to access that back wall so that eliminated the pump going there. As you can see it was becoming very complicated where to install the components. Seems these days they are using every nook and cranny for factory features leaving NO ROOM for aftermarket.

I could have went the wireless air system with the exterior rated pump but they cost nearly as much as the Bags. I can always add that later if filling and deflating is an issue. So Far. I fill when I load and deflate when I unhook total 3-5 minutes I have no need to adjust going down the road. I have other things I would rater spend the $400 on... PLus if the wireless system fails you are SOL at least with the manual fill system other than a leak (which is also a problems with the auto system) I can manage by bags.

I have a Ryobi Hand Held battery powered air pump so I can jump out and increase or decrease air pressure in 1-3 minutes anyway.
Old 02-15-2020, 12:05 AM   #50
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
This is the Air Lift system I installed. It's fairly easy and requires no room inside the cab. Pump installs under the truck and the remote operates it. Easy Peazy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Air Lift Pump.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	5601  
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:45 AM   #51
Rollinspo
Established Member

M.O.C. #25528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cushing872 View Post
The Ailift System I had installed has a built in compressor installed on the driver side behind the headlight. I have a remote control to inflate or deflate. It is recommended to drive with no load at 5psi. With a load I’m usually set about 45-55 psi depending on some factors.

Again, I repeat that airbags do not increase your payload / towing limits.
This sounds like what I have and it is very convenient - I run anywhere from 55 to 65 psi depending on road condition. For me it makes for a much stable ride, keeps bouncing/ jolting to a minimum.
Rollinspo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:08 AM   #52
G & S Russell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25774
Thanks for bringing up this air compressor. I’ve been looking for a compressor to air up my air bags on the truck and the air bag on my Reese Goosebox. This will work perfectly, plus I already carry a Ryobi 1/2 inch impact wrench in my truck for changing tires. Don’t know why I didn’t think of it, but glad you did.
South Bend Flywheel and Clutch, Loadlifter 5000 Rear Air Bag Kit
G & S Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:11 AM   #53
G & S Russell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25774
Fixing air bag leaks

If you have a leak at the fitting, you can take the line loose by pushing in to the fitting, holding the metal part and pulling the line out and then cutting the end off and reinserting into the fitting. I left extra line for that reason. I also split some fuel line and wrapped it around my air line in the high rub areas, like where it goes through the frame. Might save a leak in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B54DEB48-AA1B-40D3-AB8F-8F7AAD08C83B.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	232.2 KB
ID:	5604  
Old 02-15-2020, 09:14 PM   #54
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Air bags or airlift will give you zero payload increase capacity. They will level out the truck.. I run Airlift 5000 set in my 2007 Duramax.

The ring gear on stock 2500 3/4 ton and 3500 1 ton stock are BOTH 11.5 in size with 3.73 ratio. The only difference in the two is 1 extra leaf spring
On 2020 models this has changed. 11.5" on 2500's, and 12" on 3500's. What I don't know for sure, if that's ALL 3500's, or just DRW's. 3.42's in 2020 as well...
Old 02-15-2020, 09:18 PM   #55
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADman_KS View Post
On 2020 models this has changed. 11.5" on 2500's, and 12" on 3500's. What I don't know for sure, if that's ALL 3500's, or just DRW's. 3.42's in 2020 as well...
This is from an official Chevy press release:

The upgraded driveline includes robust front and rear axles, including an 11.5-inch rear-axle ring gear on all 2500HD models and 3500HD models with the 6.6L V-8 gas engine; and a 12-inch ring gear for 3500HD diesel models. Also, 30-percent-larger-diameter prop shafts provide greater strength with the high torque output of the new 6.6L V-8 gas engine and the Duramax Turbo-Diesel.

Now, I'm even more confused...
Old 02-15-2020, 09:22 PM   #56
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by G & S Russell View Post
If you have a leak at the fitting, you can take the line loose by pushing in to the fitting, holding the metal part and pulling the line out and then cutting the end off and reinserting into the fitting. I left extra line for that reason. I also split some fuel line and wrapped it around my air line in the high rub areas, like where it goes through the frame. Might save a leak in the future.
I wish it was that easy, as I can barely see the fitting most of the installation was done by feel and getting two hands or tools in there at once my body does not contort like that anymore. It was much easier to replace the fitting hose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
This is the Air Lift system I installed. It's fairly easy and requires no room inside the cab. Pump installs under the truck and the remote operates it. Easy Peazy.
I considered that system however for nearly $400 I could not see the value as I rarely change the pressure while traveling, the wired pump I returned was only about $100 which is why I though I would try it.

For that $400 I found more value in just buying the Ryobi Hand held pump for $29 and also the Viar pump Compressor for airing up and maintaining the truck and RV tires (I also use it to air down and up the tires on our Wrangler for off road). But for those that need pressure changes on the fly the wireless it seems to be a good option.

As I said earlier the other issue that concerned me with the Wireless is there is NO manual fill or bleed over-ride in the event the wireless fails. Although it does have a good warranty at 2 years (self install) or 4 years if professionally installed...

I should note I installed the oversized 7500lb bags/system and I level at about 35lbs (however the trucks suspension is new so it may settle a bit over time), (the larger bags require less pressure) but my main use for them is to minimize sway on my 2019 Ram 3500 SRW.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:51 AM   #57
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
It took me a couple days to install my air compressor. It took that long because i wanted it to look nice and have everything tucked up nice I bought a piece of flat metal to mount the pump on. Painted it so it would look nice. I drilled some holes and used riv nuts in the truck to bolt the pump to. Then I had to remove the inner fender on the driver side and find a grommet to run the hoses and wires.It was tricky to find a spot on the dash to mount the gauge. There was one spot on the driver side below the light switch by the driver door handle. After I ran all the air hoses I covered them with wire loom. I used wire ties to help keep them in place. It looks very professional the way I did the install.
I tried the air pump on the first trip and it was a pain in the butt to get the compressor out every 3 days to air up the bags. Ever ride around with 60 pounds of air in the air bags unloaded? After the first 26 places we stopped at the onboard compressor went on the truck.
I tried to air up a tire once with my little compressor and it was stupid. Mine can use 110 volts or 12 volts. It took forever. Now if I have a low tire I just go to a tire shop. There is a reason that a tire is low on air. If you have a low tire it needs more than air. It needs to be fixed. I check them once a week. Never had a problem.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:38 PM   #58
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
It took me a couple days to install my air compressor. It took that long because i wanted it to look nice and have everything tucked up nice I bought a piece of flat metal to mount the pump on. Painted it so it would look nice. I drilled some holes and used riv nuts in the truck to bolt the pump to. Then I had to remove the inner fender on the driver side and find a grommet to run the hoses and wires.It was tricky to find a spot on the dash to mount the gauge. There was one spot on the driver side below the light switch by the driver door handle. After I ran all the air hoses I covered them with wire loom. I used wire ties to help keep them in place. It looks very professional the way I did the install.
I tried the air pump on the first trip and it was a pain in the butt to get the compressor out every 3 days to air up the bags. Ever ride around with 60 pounds of air in the air bags unloaded? After the first 26 places we stopped at the onboard compressor went on the truck.
I tried to air up a tire once with my little compressor and it was stupid. Mine can use 110 volts or 12 volts. It took forever. Now if I have a low tire I just go to a tire shop. There is a reason that a tire is low on air. If you have a low tire it needs more than air. It needs to be fixed. I check them once a week. Never had a problem.
So did you mount the Airlift wired compressor system under the truck? The reason I returned my pump besides the lack of location to mount inside was that pump is not IP rated and Airlift requires it to be mounted in the Cab. Only the wireless is IP rated for damp location and since it is wireless it does not require any dash mounting.

I posted this earlier I think however for those that do not want to deal with a 12v or 110v compressor for airbags this hand held fits under the rear seat in the truck and takes less then 2-3 minutes to grab and fill the bags. I paid $29 for mine (I had a battery already). This should only be used for topping off tires a few psi not to fill flat tires, while it will in a pinch it will take a lot of time. I can do the air bags to 100lbs 2-3 minutes

Old 02-18-2020, 10:38 AM   #59
G & S Russell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25774
Ryobi Air Compressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
Just traded in my F350 that had the Airlift 5000 and bought a new Ram3500 I installed the bags myself (about 1.5 hours easy to do) however this time I bought the Airlift 7500, for an extra $60 I recommend those they require less pressure thus a little softer ride.

As for airing up, on board compressor is a WAST of $$$, I bought a Hand Held Ryobi air compressor it take 10 seconds to pump up to max. This thing is also capable of filling your 5er tires above 100psi so nice small gadget to have for other thing like rafts and floats also.

Note: I also have a Vi Air compressor however it is a pain to get out and connect just for air bags.

https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Cord.../dp/B07GP556HL

I was going to order this from Amazon for $44, but was at a Home Depot and got it for $23. No battery with either one, but I’ve already got 5 batteries for other One Plus tools. Thought I’d post the price check in case anyone else was going to get one to air up air bags, etc.
Old 02-18-2020, 09:37 PM   #60
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Quote:
I wouldn't want to be paying you by the hour but it's nice to know someone is willing to take the time to do it nice and neat. Some don't have time to do it right but have time to do it over. I've paid many times for 'Professional' work to only get the level of 'Shade Tree Mechanic'. Good Job.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote