Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-23-2020, 12:24 PM   #61
Hornet28
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25138
For those who scoff at the idea of an extra tank and it's capacity meaning a savings. Right now within a 40 mi radius of my home the difference in Diesel price per gal is $1.31 even taking the high and low off the equation we're still looking at $.35-$.45 per gal

05 Mountaineer 298-RLS,
Hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 01:50 PM   #62
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
I put the rds 60 gallon transfer tank/toolbox in my dually. Has it's own pump and fuel nozzle. That gives me supposedly 92 gallons but that's not all usable. When we stop at rest areas for bathroom or to walk the dog I'll fill up my truck tank out of it. All I had to do was bolt it down and run wire to the battery.

I fill up when we unhook for the night, or stop at truck stop and use my efs card if I see a deal on the interstate.
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...9657_200609657
Old 04-25-2020, 08:39 AM   #63
Dixie Flyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddiea View Post
I love my Transfer Flo, works great. Instilled it to go to Alaska
I installed a transfer flow tank in my f250 soon after I bought it. What a difference it makes. Now I stop when I want to not when I have to, Five hundred miles range with the extra tank in the bed. AS the fuel flows into the factory tank The fuel gauge shows me that tank is full, When the hand starts moving on the gauge I know the fuel is flowing form the transfer tank into the factory tank and I am using the fuel in the transfer tank. As soon as the fuel gauge hand gets to 1/4 I start looking for a place to refuel. I usually start looking when I see the fuel gauge hand moving on the gauge so I have plenty of time to look for cheaper fuel and a good place to pull in. Great piece if equipment. Love it.
Dixie Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 12:20 PM   #64
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
My truck has a 48 gallon factory tank, it seems to be plenty for most of my situations. Are people usually getting the extra tanks for issues of extremely small tanks that some brands put in there trucks, especially in the short boxes or are they doing it for fuel savings. I am not really wanting to have a tank in my bed but doing that is way cheaper than the under bed aftermarket tanks. The biggest under bed tank that I found was 70 gal. I will wait until I retire and take longer trips to decide if I need more fuel. My buddy with a earlier 6.7 SRW short box Ford had a dinky stock tank and loves his aftermarket tank replacement.
Happy roads to you.

Tom Marty
Old 04-25-2020, 04:15 PM   #65
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam Worker View Post
My truck has a 48 gallon factory tank, it seems to be plenty for most of my situations. Are people usually getting the extra tanks for issues of extremely small tanks that some brands put in there trucks, especially in the short boxes or are they doing it for fuel savings. I am not really wanting to have a tank in my bed but doing that is way cheaper than the under bed aftermarket tanks. The biggest under bed tank that I found was 70 gal. I will wait until I retire and take longer trips to decide if I need more fuel. My buddy with a earlier 6.7 SRW short box Ford had a dinky stock tank and loves his aftermarket tank replacement.
Happy roads to you.

Tom Marty
I got mine because my ram dually cummins only has a 32 gallon tank, not enough.
Old 04-25-2020, 08:04 PM   #66
Dixie Flyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam Worker View Post
Happy roads to you.

Tom Marty
I installed the transfer tank because I could only go two hundred miles before having to buy fuel. The fuel gravity feeds into the stock tank so as I drive the fuel will flow into the factory tank without me having to feed it with a pump. When I see the fuel gauge on the dash start to move I know I have used all the fuel in the transfer tank and I am now using the fuel in the factory tank. At the end of the day when we stop for the night I will fill up so I have both tanks full to start the day. I love the set up. NO it doesn't save me money nor does it give me any extra advantage except I have the ability to travel more miles without stopping for fuel. This takes pressure off of me looking for fuel along the road worried bout finding a place that is RV friendly. I love to travel worry free as much as possible and this set up helps me to relax and enjoy the trip more.
Dixie Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:29 PM   #67
Hornet28
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25138
I bought my 50 gal tank way back in 03 when I had my 02 sb with a 26 gal factory tank. I was lucky in that the buyer of my 02 didn't want the extra tank, I'd traded it in with the tank in it. He only lived about 4 mi away and came over for me to remove it. In return besides removing it for him I gave him a new Hi-Lift jack. I then installed it in my current dually. A few years back I had an 85 GMC dually with twin 40 gal tanks and added a 70 gal in bed for a total of 110 gals. Back in 03 and our first long trip, we were in west Texas and with the head winds I was hitting I was needing to stop about every 125-150 mi. Even my wife tired of that in a hurry

05 Mountaineer 298-RLS,
Hornet28 is offline   Reply With Quote