Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2020, 06:38 AM   #41
margerush
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20713
The passenger is the navigator for us. The navigator has to search Trip Wizard, Google maps for bridge heights, fuel stops, restaurants, campgrounds, reservations and backup directions. Hubby is a better navigator than me.

Toad: 2017 Jeep Wrangler
margerush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2020, 12:25 PM   #42
nemesis45
Established Member

M.O.C. #18648
So with the gravity feed will it run out your fill spout if you leave it on too long?
I have a 3500 Ram too.
Thanks
nemesis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:56 AM   #43
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis45 View Post
So with the gravity feed will it run out your fill spout if you leave it on too long?
I have a 3500 Ram too.
Thanks
Mine has an auto shut off in the transfer pipe. It won't feed into the main tank unless there is room for it. The fuel gage shows full until the aux tank is empty then it starts to go down. It might run out if the cap is left off. I have never tried that.
I still don't understand how the mileage is kept track in the computer but it does. It must measure the flow.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:00 PM   #44
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Like DebnJim said. all Gravity feeds have a check valve that shuts off flow so you never need to shut the valve. This is more of a problem with electric pump feeds. My last truck had an electric point to transfer had to have a timer switch installed because if you forgot and left it (the pump) on you would have problems. This is actually why I decided to go gravity this time. I have had both and my preference is gravity. There is no need for the extra expense of Pump and switches just one more thing to fail or require maintenance.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 07:50 AM   #45
nemesis45
Established Member

M.O.C. #18648
Thanks for the replies on the on the transfer tanks.
Maybe we need one.
Ronnie
nemesis45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 09:11 AM   #46
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
One issue with the newer GMs and gravity feeds: If the computer doesn't see the fuel gauge decrease in a 100 miles of travel it will set a "Pending Code" and if you continue it will throw a "Check Engine code".
I'm running a Scan Gauge so I just clear the pending code when my fuel gauge drops to zero, which is approx every 100 miles until my aux tank is empty.
Old 03-25-2020, 08:27 PM   #47
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route66Rambler View Post
A lot of Pilot/Flying J stations of RV specific fuel islands that have gas and diesel. Usually they have no canopy overhead and plenty of room to get in and out. Check out the Pilot/Flying J app or use RV Trip Wizard. They show which have the RV islands.
Loves has some RV islands with gas. We went to the key in 2015 and had no problem getting into gas stations anywhere in the keys and also anywhere in Florida. Good luck you will be fine

Charlie
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 04:48 AM   #48
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
One issue with the newer GMs and gravity feeds: If the computer doesn't see the fuel gauge decrease in a 100 miles of travel it will set a "Pending Code" and if you continue it will throw a "Check Engine code".
I'm running a Scan Gauge so I just clear the pending code when my fuel gauge drops to zero, which is approx every 100 miles until my aux tank is empty.
I was worried my Ford would do the same. It doesn't. Or if it does, I don't see it I have an ATTA. It fills when the tank gets to 1/2 and stops at 3/4. DTE just recalculates.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:44 AM   #49
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
go for the throat

So on the last truck I had a gravity fill with a steel 45gal tank and then got the bright idea of putting a motorcycle fuel filter on it that is designed for gravity fill. The filter cloged up in 1/2 a tank with rust particles (this was a newer tank). Took the fill top off and looked inside with a flash light and it had rust covering much of the walls. So people with steel tanks you will be pumping lots of rust into your main tank and maybe creat issues that you don`t want to know how much it will cost to fix.
So went out and bought a 10 micron with water sepearator filter and a little cheap pump and now don`t worry about it. Think about it. Put this on easy just cut line and 2 clamps, done, you might be surprized what your putting in your tank.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The advantage of his type is they are designed to be taken part and cleaned when cloged up.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 11:49 AM   #50
Ironhawg
Established Member

M.O.C. #25721
I have a noob question for you experienced 5th wheelers. Last year we had a travel trailer towed with a 2018 Ram 2500 diesel. We were traveling with another couple. He was towing with a GMC 2500. In order to avoid the hassle of cramped gas pumps we decided to give truck stop diesel pumps a try. When I tried to fuel my truck it would only take fuel very slowly. If I tried pumping above the very lowest speed it was like the fuel would back up and I would get diesel "burped" all over me. It happened both times I tried the commercial pumps. After the second attempt I just opted to use the regular diesel pumps and was extra careful getting to and away from the pumps. Has anybody else experienced this?
Ironhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:01 PM   #51
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhawg View Post
I have a noob question for you experienced 5th wheelers. Last year we had a travel trailer towed with a 2018 Ram 2500 diesel. We were traveling with another couple. He was towing with a GMC 2500. In order to avoid the hassle of cramped gas pumps we decided to give truck stop diesel pumps a try. When I tried to fuel my truck it would only take fuel very slowly. If I tried pumping above the very lowest speed it was like the fuel would back up and I would get diesel "burped" all over me. It happened both times I tried the commercial pumps. After the second attempt I just opted to use the regular diesel pumps and was extra careful getting to and away from the pumps. Has anybody else experienced this?
1st off I avoid the auto lanes with a 5er at all times, too easy to get into a point of no return position. With that said My Ram 3500 has not problem with Truck lane pumps in fact I am in and our very fast s it is a bonus.

To avoid having to deal with auto lanes many of as have installed AUX tanks I have a 46 Gal so nearly 80 Gallons on board, so more range then I would drive on any given day. so very convenient to fuel after disconnected or stretch fuelings to the next truck stop.

I also fuel at the Truck lanes as I use the TSD Fuel Card with provides $0.25 $0.50 per gal discounts. Get one it is highly recommended, they have a card for RV'ers. (use lightsout as the referral)

https://www.tsdlogistics.com/services/fuel-program/

Anyway for about $600 you can DIY a decent size Aux fuel tank, however keep in mind it takes away from payload and with a 2500 3/4 ton you are likely already at or over payload pulling a Montana 5er
Old 07-12-2020, 12:05 PM   #52
Ironhawg
Established Member

M.O.C. #25721
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout View Post
1st off I avoid the auto lanes with a 5er at all times, too easy to get into a point of no return position. With that said My Ram 3500 has not problem with Truck lane pumps in fact I am in and our very fast s it is a bonus.

To avoid having to deal with auto lanes many of as have installed AUX tanks I have a 46 Gal so nearly 80 Gallons on board, so more range then I would drive on any given day. so very convenient to fuel after disconnected or stretch fuelings to the next truck stop.

I also fuel at the Truck lanes as I use the TSD Fuel Card with provides $0.25 $0.50 per gal discounts. Get one it is highly recommended, they have a card for RV'ers. (use lightsout as the referral)

https://www.tsdlogistics.com/services/fuel-program/

Anyway for about $600 you can DIY a decent size Aux fuel tank, however keep in mind it takes away from payload and with a 2500 3/4 ton you are likely already at or over payload pulling a Montana 5er
Have you ever had a problem with the flow of fuel from the commercial pump seeming to overwhelm the fuel fill on the Ram? I have a Ram 3500 now and I have not yet tried to fuel it at a commercial diesel pump.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:08 PM   #53
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
Have not had problem with burping but I only use the lowest setting in the truck lanes. For me, a bigger problem is the foam that happens when diesel is pumped. After the foam shuts the automatic nozzle off, if I wait for the foam to go down I can squeeze another 4 gallons into the tank. That takes time due to foaming and it is not a nice thing to do if someone is waiting for the pump. All that said, that is why I like my 57 gallon replacement tank. Only rarely do I have to get fuel with the Monty hooked up.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:10 PM   #54
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Have you ever had a problem with the flow of fuel from the commercial pump seeming to overwhelm the fuel fill on the Ram? I have a Ram 3500 now and I have not yet tried to fuel it at a commercial diesel pump.
Not at all even at full speed at least so far. I do carefully listen and near the very end I do slow it down a bit just in case the auto shut off is delayed. Also I have a 2019 which is the capless fuel fill so the spout of the fill gun does not leave much room for overflow to escape
Old 07-12-2020, 12:19 PM   #55
Ironhawg
Established Member

M.O.C. #25721
Thanks for the replies. I have a 2019 Ram 3500 now, so I'm going to give the commercial pumps another try. I like to have options. I have seen way too many stations where there just absolutely was not room for a truck and fifth wheel to maneuver around their pumps.
Old 07-12-2020, 12:30 PM   #56
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. I have a 2019 Ram 3500 now, so I'm going to give the commercial pumps another try. I like to have options. I have seen way too many stations where there just absolutely was not room for a truck and fifth wheel to maneuver around their pumps.
I have a 3500 Ram DWR long bed and I always fuel at truck stops when I am in tow with my 5th wheel. I run the fuel handle at the slow speed because it will come back on full speed with that bigger nozzle. Even with my 60 gallon tank it will still come back up. But it still only takes 10 minutes or so to fill up on slow.

46 years married (Dam I been in prison that long)
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:12 PM   #57
DaveK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23470
Maneuvering a 37 ft 5er and truck around gas pumps is often a pain in the butt, 37,000 miles of towing. It's probably my greatest challenge in towing.
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 05:00 AM   #58
margerush
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20713
Ironhawq, sounds like the gas station needed to change the diesel pump filter. We fuel at truck stop stations (loves, flying j, etc). The area may be greasy & dirty but fuel is clean & pumps correctly & easy in & out. We also have a Transflow 30 gal aux fuel tank in bed with auto feed to main fuel tank.
Toad: 2017 Jeep Wrangler
margerush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 07:28 AM   #59
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Truck lanes fuel at a higher flow rate than the auto lanes you do have to adjust for that. Most FJ's have RV diesel lanes. We primarily use those lanes. We are retired and in no hurry to get anywhere. We seldom run more than 3 hours between stops when on the road to rest and fuel . We do not require auxiliary fuel tanks.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2020, 06:04 PM   #60
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
Truck lanes fuel at a higher flow rate than the auto lanes you do have to adjust for that. Most FJ's have RV diesel lanes. We primarily use those lanes. We are retired and in no hurry to get anywhere. We seldom run more than 3 hours between stops when on the road to rest and fuel . We do not require auxiliary fuel tanks.
Rich I could go almost a week at your pace without refueling
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote