Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2020, 06:29 AM   #1
Frank64
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24370
Awning mold, mildew stains

Is there a product on the market or a home recipe using cleaners that will remove most if not all mold and mildew stains from your awning? My awning is white underneath and I have a lot of mold and mildew stains on my awning. In the past I have tried awning cleaners from C. W. , tried a mixture of one part Clorox 3 parts water sprayed on scrubbed and left for about 30 minutes then rinsed. A lot of the mold and mildew goes away however there is some stains still showing. I am hoping there is something out there on our forum to give me a clean awning

Thanks
Frank
Frank64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 06:41 AM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Put your Clorox back on and role your awning up and let it set for a about a half hour and see if that helps.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:52 AM   #3
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Try Wet It and Forget It. Got rid of the mold on our awning. It takes time but works. As the name says, spray and forget.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 10:37 AM   #4
Frank64
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24370
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try the Wet it and Forget It product. If this doesn’t work will try applying Clorox again and rolling it up for awhile.
Old 02-11-2020, 12:26 PM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
I have found one product that works very, very well on all my different travel trailer and 5er awnings. It does take a little effort, but it keeps mold and black from forming. I usually use it in the Spring, when we schedule our first camp-out of the season, and then again near the end of the camping season.

What is it? Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Oh yea! It takes some work. You'll need to climb a ladder, you'll need to exercise a little. You may get a little wet. But the end result is fantastic.

Dirt, mold, mildew, dead bug stains, just melt away.

How to do it?

Make the Mr. Clean sponge wet, almost dripping. Simply wipe it over a small section of the awning, like 2 feet by 2 feet. Then dry it with a towel. Move over a couple more feet and do the next area, until you've covered the entire awning.

If the first wipe doesn't remove it to your satisfaction, do it a second time. Just remember.... wipe it.... do not scrub with it. And dry off the remaining wet with a towel. That will lift off the rest of the dirt.

The black and mold will not return, for almost, a year. Really. I find by the end of the camping season, my awning is spotted again. Not with mold, but with dead squished bugs. So, through the Summer months, I'll do spot wipes to clean off the bug.

How do I do the top of the awning? I make the Mr. Clean dripping wet. Toss it on top of the awning. I then use a long RV brush with handle and use the brush to move the Eraser around. I'll do a section, then use the long handled brush to wipe down the wet spot with a dry towel. It's a little time consuming, but I've been doing this for 25 years years, on pop-up, travel trailers and fifth wheels, and all my awnings have always looked brilliant white underneath and clean on top.

Now, my 5er has a ladder on the back, and I can do the top side of the awning standing on the roof. I just take a small bucket of water with me topside to keep the Eraser good and wet. I used the brush with long handle to move it around. Works for me. Never a problem.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 02:37 PM   #6
Frank64
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24370
Excellent suggestion. I have a few of the Mr Clesn magic erasers on hand
Thanks I will try this too

Frank
Old 02-15-2020, 05:00 PM   #7
rslopez65
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19789
"30 seconds outdoor cleaner" - comes in a concentrate for $9.00/gal at home depot. Also comes in a ready-to-spray outdoor 64 oz cleaner for $12.00 at home depot. Also available at Amazon (of course).
Recommended to us by a mobile RV repairman and it worked like a charm. Our awning looked like it had been through a war zone and this product cleaned it so well that it looks like it did when we bought the 5er. You do have to use a brush but the stains just come right off. Love this stuff.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:44 PM   #8
Frank64
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24370
Thanks will swing by H. D. and check it out. I already have the Magic Erasers that we’re mentioned in this feed as well as Clorox. I will try these products out when weather breaks hopefully early March first however will probably try the other products out too
Thanks again
Old 02-19-2020, 03:18 PM   #9
kjohn6363
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24081
X-14 works very well.
kjohn6363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 03:35 PM   #10
Bill M
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23206
Be careful with Clorox, have been told bleach will weaken the stiching causes it to break. I recommend staying away from bleach.
Bill M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:22 PM   #11
canopy

M.O.C. #19723
Great cleaner

I used the 30 second cleaner from Home Depot and it does work in 30 seconds. A small pressure washer works great or just hose it off. Did my whole Montana and it looked new and shiny. I felt like I could sell it for above average price. It ain't for sale, though
canopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 11:47 AM   #12
Vermonters
Established Member

M.O.C. #13453
Send a message via AIM to Vermonters Send a message via MSN to Vermonters Send a message via Yahoo to Vermonters
Yes there is, CRUD CUTTER, available at most Home Improvement Stores and Hardware stores. Use it 50/50 with water to remove most black streaks on the RV body and I use is 100% on the awning. My 7 year old awning looks brand new.
Old 02-23-2020, 01:07 PM   #13
Tlove
Established Member

M.O.C. #22692
Outdoor bleach
Tlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 07:09 AM   #14
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
I do pretty much like DutchmenSport but instead of using water I use Simple Green with the magic eraser. It is a work out but works. To get the top of the awning I only let the awning out about 18" and use a ladder and can hand clear. Let it out another 18" at a time till finished. Don't say it's easy but works for bad stained awning.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 06:22 PM   #15
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I use bleach and dawn mixed. Brush it on, roll it in for a bit, unroll/scrub and hose off.

But the key to me is NEVER leave the awning rolled up when wet. Always let it dry out before rolling it in.
If you travel in the rain, roll it out when home to dry out.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote