Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2020, 01:34 PM   #1
mapittm

M.O.C. #23839
Question Bathroom Door Issues

We have a 2019 3121RL Montana 20th Anniversary Edition 5th wheel. On this last trip to The Grapevine Vineyards Campground in Grapevine, TX, (great campground, by the way), our bathroom door started acting up. It’s a cantilever style door, if that makes sense. We’re not sure if our guests tried to force it open/shut or if there’s another problem. Has anyone had this experience and if so, how did you fix it?

mapittm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 01:57 PM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
If you are talking about a "Pivot Door", then chances are some of the metal supporting hardware is bent, causing the door to not swing as it use to. It's possible the camper may have had some flexing and it could have damaged one of the joints.

I had problems with mine from the day I purchased the camper. It seemed to open and close very tight, like it was in a bind. Under warranty, "they" supposedly fixed it by replacing with a new door. But when I got the camper back, it worked fine for short while and then the same thing happened again. I solved the problem by simply squirting some WD40 (oil) on the metal joints. It's worked nice ever since.

If it's out of align, then the metal support on the bottom that holds the door is probably bent. This could easily happen by someone just hanging on the door too heavy. If this is the case, then you will need to take the door off the frame and straighten out the bent metal. It doesn't take much for those door to get out of align.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 02:25 PM   #3
G & S Russell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25774
Noticed this is your first post. Welcome to the forum. I don’t have that type of door on my RV, but I’m sure you’ll get many good suggestions like Dutchmen’s. Good luck in figuring it out.
South Bend Flywheel and Clutch, Loadlifter 5000 Rear Air Bag Kit
G & S Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 04:54 PM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Welcome to the forum! Before we would buy our 2017 we made the dealer install normal hindges so it opens into the bathroom toward the toilet. On our rig, if you left the door as a pivot you couldn't acess the bathroom or the bedroom without putting a slide out.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:18 PM   #5
mapittm

M.O.C. #23839
Thank you, Dutchmen Sport. My husband has made several attempts to work on it. I got my can of WD-40 out and did my own thing while he was outside. WD-40 is my go to for squeaks, so I thought it might just do the trick! It didn’t really help, but he’s going to try silicon in the track next, and maybe loosening the bolts just a little bit. The flat pieces of metal do not look like they have been bent.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:20 PM   #6
mapittm

M.O.C. #23839
Thank you, G&S Russell. I have been a member of the forum since we bought this rv last year, but for the life of me, I haven’t been able to figure out how to post until today!
Old 02-16-2020, 07:22 PM   #7
mapittm

M.O.C. #23839
Thank you, DQDick. The forum has been very helpful to us over the past year. Glad to be a member.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:59 PM   #8
joe direnzi
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20983
Welcome from New Jersey.On our 3721rl the top slide bolt[the one with the lock nut ]comes loose.Loosen the lock nut all the way and tighten the bolt and then tighten the lock nut .I hope this helps.It works on ours.
joe direnzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2020, 03:43 PM   #9
joe direnzi
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20983
Thumbs up

Don't force the dor to close.You"ll bend the hinges.You have to push up on the bottom of the door to get the bolt out of the track.Once out of the track ,tighten the bolt with the nut on it.Lift up on the door and put bolt head back in the track.It might take a couple of adjustment tries but this should work
joe direnzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 07:12 AM   #10
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
I like the door. After a few months it got hard to close. Sprayed silicon on the rollers and worked great after that.
Old 02-23-2020, 07:39 PM   #11
Bay955
Established Member

M.O.C. #23306
Yes this is exactly what happens to mine. The threads are stripped in my roller so Iam picking another up this week.
Bay955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 01:20 PM   #12
lkennerly
Established Member

M.O.C. #19862
Ours stripped out and the replacement was a better design. We replaced and it has worked great!
lkennerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 02:48 PM   #13
lj_cox
Established Member

M.O.C. #19296
We had a problem with our bathroom door (pivot style) and it turned out the screws holding the mechanism in place had come loose, so the whole thing was out of alignment It's quite easy to pry off the trim covering the bar, get a good look at everything, and then replace the trim after with perhaps a few finishing nails. I'd take a look at that.

Also, I wound up taking the roller unit apart and putting it back together "upside-down" (requires a flattish box wrench) so that the door is now suspended by the solid bolt with the nut held with locktite on top.

HTH!
lj_cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 03:49 PM   #14
Sluboater

M.O.C. #25644
My cantilever door was wobbly. Adjusted the position of the door and reinserted the threaded end in the fitting and tightened the nut to tighten the head which slides into fitting.
Sluboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 07:05 PM   #15
bigdawgfinley
Established Member

M.O.C. #22520
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapittm View Post
We have a 2019 3121RL Montana 20th Anniversary Edition 5th wheel. On this last trip to The Grapevine Vineyards Campground in Grapevine, TX, (great campground, by the way), our bathroom door started acting up. It’s a cantilever style door, if that makes sense. We’re not sure if our guests tried to force it open/shut or if there’s another problem. Has anyone had this experience and if so, how did you fix it?
Ours broke almost immediately. I called Keystone and they sent a replacement for the roller carriage at the top but it took so long to arrive I had to make one in my garage. The replacement they sent has lasted for the last two years so I hope that’s behind us. BTW some parts (like this)on the rig seem to be used. Can’t prove it but the rapid corrosion of the propane lines and hot water anode leave me wondering???
bigdawgfinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:53 AM   #16
Karenraecamp
Established Member

M.O.C. #25205
Quote:
Originally Posted by mapittm View Post
We had the same problem this weekend. I took the bolt out, it was jammed, slid thru the track, little tricky, screwed in to the rollers and tightened down the washer. Is working great but I’ve read this works loose over time.
Karenraecamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 05:58 AM   #17
creyer

M.O.C. #24694
our 2019 3021 the bathroom door doesn't want to latch with out many tries. We have also had issues with the door knobs splitting open. Happened with the bathroom door first and now the pantry door.
creyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 06:27 AM   #18
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkennerly View Post
Ours stripped out and the replacement was a better design. We replaced and it has worked great!
Ours stripped out also. I put a nut on top but I had to grind it down to clear the track and it comes loose. I have to reset the whole thing about once a month.

Where did you get the new and improved replacement roller? I think that is what I need.

Jimb

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:54 AM   #19
lkennerly
Established Member

M.O.C. #19862
I think I ordered it through Discount RV in Ringold, VA. it is where we purchased our Montana so they ordered the correct part.
lkennerly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 04:50 PM   #20
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Thanks, I'll contact my dealer. Looks like the hardware is supplied by MorRyde.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, door, hinges